website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Sports Programme

il y a 9 minutes, Nate River a déclaré:

Bold prediction: Paris will retain Skateboarding, Surfing and Climbing. Squash will (finally) be added. Karate will be on the bubble but is likely to also be retained.

I won't say it is really bold. They are the top five favorites as it stands IMO (not in that order though).

My own odds go like this

• Climbing : 90%
  • Karaté : 80%
  • Squash : 70%
  • Surfing : 50%
  • Skateboarding : 40%
  • Pétanque : 30%
  • Baseball/Wakeboarding : 5-10%
  • Wushi/Bowling/Billard : 1-2%

il y a 2 minutes, Jur a déclaré:

I can't see Surfing happening if they want everything in the Paris 2024 map

It's more, they dont want to have to build an other venue outside of the masterplan. It's not a concern for any of these sport, except baseball/softball.

hace 1 minuto, De_Gambassi said:

It's more, they dont want to have to build an other venue outside of the masterplan. It's not a concern for any of these sport, except baseball/softball.

Maybe Wakeboarding, but I can see ir easily happening at the same venue that sailing does. But no chance for Surf in the Mediterranean.

10 minuti fa, Jur ha scritto:

Maybe Wakeboarding, but I can see ir easily happening at the same venue that sailing does. But no chance for Surf in the Mediterranean.

wakeboarding can't be performed at sea...

its natural stage are the rowing/canoeing basins...

meanwhile Surf has a wonderful venue in Landes, Nouvelle-Aquitaine which already hosts a WSL tour stage every year...so, there's no need for any new venue...

moreover, France has tradition and (outside) medal chances in Surfing, on the other hand, there's no chance Skateboarding would be a popular nor a successful sport for them...

@Nate River

Karate is the sport with more chances to stay in 2024...huge popularity and strong medal chances would lead France to go to the war to keep it in the program (actually, I think they would even enlarge the program adding the 2 nowadays missing kumite weights for both men and women)...

same for Sport Climbing (whose officials have already said that they will ask for IOC to put the classic 3 disciplines -Lead, Speed and Boulder- instead of the Combined event in the 2024 schedule)...

Edited by phelps

27 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Lima 2019 increased its total quota by 600+ and their budget is about half of Toronto 2015. Ie. You do not need to have a cap on athletes, but other frivolous stuff.

I experienced both a Pan Am Games and Winter Olympics on the ground. Obviously the Winter Olympics are bigger globally, but do you really need two separate hockey venues? They could have merged it into one and had the competition across two weeks. Branding of venues was way over the top, if you cut that budget you would save so much money. 

The Summer Olympics are a totally different animal. Why is it necessary to have 7! large stadiums for soccer. All of which will need staff, volunteers, security, branding etc. Even with 4 or 5, you can have a competition where the field has enough time to recover.

I can go on and on...

I agree, the planning system and demands are too over-the-top

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

What I want to be added:

Get rid of Baseball/Softball

Keep Karate as is

Added all Sport Climbing events

Add Squash singles for both genders

Keep Skateboarding 

Keep Surfing

Add Pentanque singles (Cambodia, Thailand, Magascar, etc. have great medal chances)

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

il y a 40 minutes, phelps a déclaré:

moreover, France has tradition and (outside) medal chances in Surfing, on the other hand, there's no chance Skateboarding would be a popular nor a successful sport for them...

Please remember, that the selection policy will not be the same than in Tokyo. Domesctic popularity is not a top priority anymore and global youth appeal seems even more important than before. This alone can shuffle things up quite a bit. 

With this in mind, a sport like skateboarding is far from dead.

Edited by De_Gambassi

1 hour ago, De_Gambassi said:

Please remember, that the selection policy will not be the same than in Tokyo. Domesctic popularity is not a top priority anymore and global youth appeal seems even more important than before. This alone can shuffle things up quite a bit. 

And both baseball and skateboarding must be big favourites to be included in 2028

1 hour ago, De_Gambassi said:

I've just been messaging with someone who works for the IOC.

He says the L'Equipe report may not be completely accurate.