website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Sports Programme

27 minuti fa, heywoodu ha scritto:

Chess is considered a sport by many people, or equestrian. If they are considered sports, I don't see why esports shouldn't be, even though I find esports incredibly boring to watch (much like chess and equestrian :p ).

Olympic karting would be fun :lol: as long as it's done with equipment that's made available by the organizers, so it's mostly about driving skills.

Edit: Should have known, when it's about Massa of course it's electrical karting. Never mind, forget it :p 

I'm not against chess or go or bridge, I'd honestly prefer them to the esports, although I agree with the idea expressed by other people here on the forum that IOC should consider creating a "multisport" competition for them

There isn't any particular reason for not considering them a sport, it's just a feeling I have about them. The fact that one wants to establish who's the best in something doesn't automatically make it a sport. Otherwise, I have an idea for a chemistry olympic event :thumbup: 

45 minutes ago, dcro said:

That is incorrect on so many levels.

Enlighten me. Why should chess be considered a sport, and esports shouldn't?

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

no one of those activities (e-sports, mind games nor motorized vehicle competitions) should be named "sports"...:evil:

by definition, sport is a combination of mental and physycal skills (e-sports and mind games do NOT have the physycal part of the game, despite some people might start saying the opposite), the outcome of which must be mainly determined by human ability (and this takes also the "motorsports" away, since you can be the best driver in the world, but still you're going to end up dead last if you vehicle is not performing at least very close to those of your opponents)...

however, I don't care too much about those definitions taken from vocabolaies and encyclopedia...people can think and say what they want, but if the IOC adds to the Olympic Games schedule anything related to mind games, e-sports and motorsports I'm done with the Olympic Ideal and the Olympic Games once and forever. point. :pope::facepalm::wall:

1 minute ago, dcro said:

Esports are set in the virtual reality. Done.

Ok. I disagree. Done :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 minutes ago, phelps said:

no one of those activities (e-sports, mind games nor motorized vehicle competitions) should be named "sports"...:evil:

by definition, sport is a combination of mental and physycal skills (e-sports and mind games do NOT have the physycal part of the game, despite some people might start saying the opposite), the outcome of which must be mainly determined by human ability (and this takes also the "motorsports" away, since you can be the best driver in the world, but still you're going to end up dead last if you vehicle is not performing at least very close to those of your opponents)...

however, I don't care too much about those definitions taken from vocabolaies and encyclopedia...people can think and say what they want, but if the IOC adds to the Olympic Games schedule anything related to mind games, e-sports and motorsports I'm done with the Olympic Ideal and the Olympic Games once and forever. point. :pope::facepalm::wall:

But it's ok when a large if not most of the work is done by an animal? 

Also in a sport like cycling you don't stand a chance if your equipment isn't at the top level. Just look at track cycling, the Brits are not the best track cyclists in the world, they have the best equipment in the world and so automatically have an advantage. Not to even mention the sliding sports.

Besides, people might say "I'm done with the Olympics forever if they add this or that!!", and then this or that is added and guess what? These people still watch the Olympics!

Edited by heywoodu

2 minuti fa, heywoodu ha scritto:

Also in a sport like cycling you don't stand a chance if your equipment isn't at the top level. Just look at track cycling, the Brits are not the best track cyclists in the world, they have the best equipment in the world and so automatically have an advantage. Not to even mention the sliding sports.

Besides, people might say "I'm done with the Olympics forever if they add this or that!!", and then this or that is added and guess what? These people still watch the Olympics!

it's not a question of "top level" or amateur stuff...the definition is only about what's "sport" and what's not...

in cycling the main part of the job is done by the man/woman's legs...

for what concerns the animals, I think they should be compared to motorsports...and not to be considered real "sports", but this part is always contested by many people who still consider this kind of activity a sport (because of the competitive nature of the races)...it's definitely a grey zone in this particular question...

in any case, as I wrote before, I don't care too much about definitions...;)

5 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

And that's the thing. There is no gold medal horse, there is gold medal horse & rider combination. That's like saying the most work is done by a bike in cycling. :p The difference is that with a bad bike you can't do anything, while with a bad horse you can do miracles with correct training.

#banbestmen

8 minutes ago, phelps said:

in cycling the main part of the job is done by the man/woman's legs...

And in motorsports the main difference is made by the skills of the driver (at least when, as I said, equipment is standardized, which should be the case in cycling, sliding sports, cross-country skiing etc anyway).

Edited by heywoodu

In my opinion every sport besides running, jumping and throwing stuff is a grey area :p