website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Sports Programme

I agree with @De_Gambassi‘s predictions. I’m not too sure about surfing since it’d have to be held awhile outside of Paris (or, god forbid, indoors) and it’s not quite as popular in France as Karate or Sport Climbing, so maybe I’d say 5/10. 

Boules, well, it’s hard to think of a sport that’s LESS youthful! But yeah I think it has a shot. It’s still popular and appears to have a strong campaign behind it.

For Basque Pelota it would need to be played in 70 countries to become Olympic but its only played in about 30 :( 

Now for some other sports:

Cricket (6/10)- Is the third most watched sport in the world behind football and baseball. Has a huge global presence, not just a Commonwealth game anymore. Would give the Games a huge new audience from eg. the Indian subcontinent. Also there is a historical link (France would be the defending silver medalists from 1900 :p). Pretty attractive to watch and can be staged on most existing sports fields.

BUT there is some opposition in the ICC so uncertain if they will bid. Cricket seems to evade Games (only at Commonwealths once and Asian Games twice before). Plus it would be odd organizing the UK/Ireland/West Indies teams. And there probably wouldn’t be much popularity among French spectators.

Billiards (3/10)- France has a traditional version, Carom, which could be held alongside less known events such as Snooker. Snooker has a huge global audience as well. Nothing preventing the best players from showing up. Is unique, both a precision and strategy sport, which the Summer Games does not have. Easy to host, too.

BUT has many of the problems boules has. Slightly better image but still considered more of a game than a sport. Plus lacks the base in France that boules has (though has a much wider world one). Snooker non existent there. Simply doesn’t have much up on boules at the moment.

Wushu (2/10)- Only major traditional martial art to not be in Olympics so far. Has 144 federations, is cheap to host and fun to watch. Has applied for Games multiple times, said they’re ‘feeling optimistic’ about this year.

BUT no tradition in France or indeed out of Asia. Karate would be much, much more successful on every front.

I think those were all the seriously competing sports.

Theyre also thinking of bringing back C2 in canoeing. They held a ‘mixed C2 event’ in Prague recently... don’t like that at all. If they can just develop it among women we can have two C2 events, maybe in time for 2024.

Shooting 50m prone is most likely to return (some women shoot it). Double trap nearly impossible. 50m pistol is love to see back most- but no female equivalent. Maybe if women started shooting rapid fire pistol, they could get that event and men could get 50m.

There will probably be women’s Greco Roman wrestling too. Last summer discipline to not include women. They said they’re working on it for 2024. Hope it’s rewsonably competitive though. The problem with all these new events is that non competitive ones are wastes of quotas. At least in the Summer Games.

Also mixed synchronized swimming would be interesting. I think they’ll do it for sure. Not in Tokyo but that’s probably because it’s too new. It’s already at the FINA World Champs.

Edited by ahjfcshfghb

Also my Top 20 Picks for LA 2028:

(Most likely to get there. I’ll update it every year if I don’t forget :p)

1) Baseball/Softball (obviously interest will be huge)

2) Surfing (established and huge part of LA culture)

3) Skateboarding/Roller Sports (same as Surfing)

4) Lacrosse (fastest growing sport in US, popular among youth, growing globally, Olympic history)

5) Mixed Martial Arts (most popular spectator martial art in US, amateur competition growing)

6) American Football (over 100 federations, most popular US sport)

7) Sports Climbing (established, not as popular in the US though as other sports)

8) Bowling (very popular activity, accessible to anyone, used to be huge spectator sport but viewership is down)

9) Karate (established, may face competition with MMA, but still very popular)

10) Powerlifting (to replace Weightlifting if doping problems don’t go away, which isn’t unlikely)

11) Jai Alai (US name for Basque Pelota, played often, large Mexican population in LA as well, federation needs to grow though)

12) Wakeboarding (also popular in LA but will likely have to compete with Surfing)

13) Pool/Snooker (sport huge, not necessarily among youth though)

14) Wushu (not specifically US or youth, but may be added for a change if MMA doesn’t work)

15) Netball (US is growing in this sport, huge lobby in Commonwealth countries, women-only)

16) Floorball (global youthful sport but not much in US)

17) Bodybuilding (at Pan Am Games, though many consider it not a real spectator sport)

18) Racquetball (at Pan Ams, but too many racket sports already)

19) Dance sports (at YOG, somewhat unique)

20) Polo (it’s a fun, special sport, could find appeal in time)

Edited by ahjfcshfghb

4 hours ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

4) Lacrosse (fastest growing sport in US, popular among youth, growing globally, Olympic history)

5) Mixed Martial Arts (most popular spectator martial art in US, amateur competition growing)

7) Sports Climbing (established, not as popular in the US though as other sports)

8) Bowling (very popular activity, accessible to anyone, used to be huge spectator sport but viewership is down)

10) Powerlifting (to replace Weightlifting if doping problems don’t go away, which isn’t unlikely)

11) Jai Alai (US name for Basque Pelota, played often, large Mexican population in LA as well, federation needs to grow though)

12) Wakeboarding (also popular in LA but will likely have to compete with Surfing)

14) Wushu (not specifically US or youth, but may be added for a change if MMA doesn’t work)

15) Netball (US is growing in this sport, huge lobby in Commonwealth countries, women-only)

17) Bodybuilding (at Pan Am Games, though many consider it not a real spectator sport)

My views

5,10,17 Problems with drug taking ruin their chances

4,6 Not competitive at the top level

15 A sport where only one sex competes is not going to be added any more

20 Too expensive

10 hours ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

1. If MLB players can come, yes please, otherwise, no thanks

2. Noooo sir

3. Noooooooo sir

4. Meh, not bad but I doubt it's competitive internationally speaking

5. That'd be awesome if the best participate (way better than karate and/or wushu or something), but MMA in a 2-week tournament form is just not viable unless you have some amateur competition, which would suck, so in that case, no

6. If NFL players can come it's a 99,999% certain US gold medal, if not, it would be a crappy competition, so no

7. Quite fun to watch, no problem, but let's first see how it works out in Tokyo

8. Not bad, quite competitive among different nations

9. No, no, and again, no, I've barely ever seen so little happening in a 'combat' sport

10. Makes weightlifting look like the cleanest sport ever, so no thanks

11. Never heard of it, which sort of means it's rather small on an international level

12. No thanks

13. Meh

14. The 'barely ever' in 9 is only surpassed by wushu, the biggest bit of non-sporting action I've ever seen in sports, keep that in the living room or something

15. Women-only, meaning it might actually have a tiny chance (unlike if it was men-only), but with only a handful decent nations, meh

16. Those handful of countries don't justify adding it

17. Too expensive, since you need to build and entirely new anti-doping lab

18. No opinion about it

19. No thanks, that does not sound interesting as a sport...at all

20. Quite a cool sport, but rather expensive and absolutely, extremely elitist, doubt it has a chance

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 hours ago, LDOG said:

I wouldn't add anything. I'd actually drop skateboard and surf to give more quota to karate and climbing tbh.

And to give even more quota to climbing and *insert random other sport*, drop that karate thing as well please. Already sick and tired of it and it hasn't even made it's Olympic debut yet. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 hours ago, LDOG said:

Keep that MMA thing away from the olympics please.

I wouldn't add anything. I'd actually drop skateboard and surf to give more quota to karate and climbing tbh.

40 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

1. If MLB players can come, yes please, otherwise, no thanks

2. Noooo sir

3. Noooooooo sir

4. Meh, not bad but I doubt it's competitive internationally speaking

5. That'd be awesome if the best participate (way better than karate and/or wushu or something), but MMA in a 2-week tournament form is just not viable unless you have some amateur competition, which would suck, so in that case, no

6. If NFL players can come it's a 99,999% certain US gold medal, if not, it would be a crappy competition, so no

7. Quite fun to watch, no problem, but let's first see how it works out in Tokyo

8. Not bad, quite competitive among different nations

9. No, no, and again, no, I've barely ever seen so little happening in a 'combat' sport

10. Makes weightlifting look like the cleanest sport ever, so no thanks

11. Never heard of it, which sort of means it's rather small on an international level

12. No thanks

13. Meh

14. The 'barely ever' in 9 is only surpassed by wushu, the biggest bit of non-sporting action I've ever seen in sports, keep that in the living room or something

15. Women-only, meaning it might actually have a tiny chance (unlike if it was men-only), but with only a handful decent nations, meh

16. Those handful of countries don't justify adding it

17. Too expensive, since you need to build and entirely new anti-doping lab

18. No opinion about it

19. No thanks, that does not sound interesting as a sport...at all

20. Quite a cool sport, but rather expensive and absolutely, extremely elitist, doubt it has a chance

6 hours ago, Dragon said:

My views

5,10,17 Problems with drug taking ruin their chances

4,6 Not competitive at the top level

15 A sport where only one sex competes is not going to be added any more

20 Too expensive

Keeping in mind if a sport is high on the list does not mean I would prefer it, it means I think it's more/less likely to make it. As for preference I think Lacrosse could grow a ton in the future (fastest-growing sport in the US, for one). Sport Climbing is pretty fun, so I like that idea, too, and I bet Bowling would be a hit because it's just so accessible. I just don't think there's any doubt around Baseball, Surfing or Skateboarding being there. Love Baseball (and Czechs are quite decent at it), not particularly a fan of the other two. Skateboarding is too much like snowboarding, surfing is just meh. Reason I put American Football/MMA there is on the chance that the IOC goes the full consumerism route for TV audiences in the US. Both sports do need to grow globally some more, of course, but it can happen. 

47 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

And to give even more quota to climbing and *insert random other sport*, drop that karate thing as well please. Already sick and tired of it and it hasn't even made it's Olympic debut yet. 

Karate will be in 2024 for sure... guess which country won the second highest number of medals at the 2017 World Championships... The only way it won't if it is bombs in 2020 but being held in Japan I doubt it will.

3 minutes ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

Keeping in mind if a sport is high on the list does not mean I would prefer it, it means I think it's more/less likely to make it. As for preference I think Lacrosse could grow a ton in the future (fastest-growing sport in the US, for one). Sport Climbing is pretty fun, so I like that idea, too, and I bet Bowling would be a hit because it's just so accessible. I just don't think there's any doubt around Baseball, Surfing or Skateboarding being there. Love Baseball (and Czechs are quite decent at it), not particularly a fan of the other two. Skateboarding is too much like snowboarding, surfing is just meh. Reason I put American Football/MMA there is on the chance that the IOC goes the full consumerism route for TV audiences in the US. Both sports do need to grow globally some more, of course, but it can happen. 

MMA is definitely a very global sport already, the main issue is that fitting it in a two week event would result in something that doesn't even resemble the thing millions of world wide MMA-fans love. 

3 minutes ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

Karate will be in 2024 for sure... guess which country won the second highest number of medals at the 2017 World Championships... The only way it won't if it is bombs in 2020 but being held in Japan I doubt it will.

Yeah, which is sad. I mean, those X Games sports like artistic BMX or skateboarding are just a tad worse, but man...karate. No.