Saturday April 14th, 2018 -

Round-Robin Last Day Results (GMT +2)

12:30  :AUT Austria  3 - 0  Norway :NOR

16:00  :DEN Denmark  0 - 3  Hungary :HUN   

19:30  :FRA France  7 - 1  Slovakia :SVK

Final Standing

1. France 12  :FRA  :champion:

Qualified for the Women´s World Championships 2019

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Austria 9

3. Hungary 9

4. Denmark 6

5. Norway 6

6. Slovakia 3

EDIT: Because the Top Division will expand to 10 teams next year, there no relegated team from this Division I A this year

2018 IIHF Ice Hockey Women's World Championship Division I Group B
In Asiago, :ITA , 8-14 April 2018
Participants: Kazakhstan, Latvia, China, Italy, Poland, Korea

Saturday April 14th, 2018 -

Round-Robin Last Day Results (GMT +2)

13:30  :POL Poland  2 - 9  South Korea :KOR

17:00  :KAZ Kazakhstan  0 - 1  Latvia :LAT    

20:30  :CHN China  0 - 1  Italy :ITA

Final Standing

1. Italy 12  :ITA  :champion:

Qualified for the Women´s Division I Group A World Championships 2019

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. South Korea 11

3. Latvia 9

4. Kazakhstan 7

5. China 6

6. Poland 0

EDIT: Because the Top Division will expand to 10 teams next year, there no relegated team from this Division I B this year

9 hours ago, hckosice said:

6. Slovakia 3

Relegated for the Women´s Division I Group B World Championships 2019

Correction !

Because next years Women´s World Championships will expands from 8 to 10 teams. Slovakia will not be relegated from Division I A.

So at least 1 good news :p

WOMEN´S

DIVISION I GROUP A

540e974eb8.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

France moves up

Historic rise to top level of WW

30709755_10156107751005900_8015430698483

Home ice suited France well in Vaujany this weekend as the French women claimed first place in the 2018 IIHF Ice Hockey Women’s World Championship Division I Group A to earn promotion to the 2019 Women’s Worlds.

France will complete the top division that will be extended to ten teams for next year’s event in Finland.

The French finished their five-game round robin campaign with four wins and a loss, including today’s impressive 7-1 win over Slovakia ahead of Austria and Hungary, teams they had beaten before.

“We knew every game would be a challenge, but we were here at home playing in front of family and friends, so we felt we had to win,” said winning goalie Caroline Baldin. “Today, we played well again. We have a lot of solidarity among us, which was the difference. We fought hard every game.”

Although France has participated in the IIHF’s women’s program since 1999, this is the first time the nation will be in the top pool. The team’s only loss was a 2-1 decision to Norway last Monday.

“I think the thing we look forward to next year the most is playing against the top teams,” Baldin continued. “We’ll be able to see if the gap between us and the top teams is small or not. We hope to fight against every team.”

Although France has only a small number of women’s players, the advantage is that they are a dedicated group – to the game, and to each other.

“Many of us have played together for seven or eight years,” Baldin explained, “so we know each other really well. We grew up together and have known each other since we were 12. This year we were a bit lucky and came together. But even though we’ve been together a long time, we’re still a young team. I think our average age is about 23.”

Slovakia finished in last place with one win, but because the top pool is expanding from eight to ten teams it won’t be relegated.

In truth, tonight’s result didn’t mean much for France as it had advanced earlier in the day after Austria beat Norway and Hungary beating Denmark, both by 3-0 scores. Before Day 5, Norway had been the only team to beat France and could have caused a tie for first place at nine points with France and other teams if they had won in regulation time and if France had lost in regulation time. Neither happened.

France sealed its victory tonight thanks to three goals in a span of 4:20 early in the period. Chloe Aurard opened the scoring with a low shot that fooled Romana Kiapesova at 3:37.

A minute and a half later, Clara Rozier went end-to-end and finished with a pretty wrist shot to the far side to make it 2-0, and Margot Desvignes made it 3-0 on another chance from in close.

Slovakia’s coach, Jenny Potter, long-time star with Team USA, changed goalies, but that move couldn’t help the team’s offensive struggle. Late in the period the Slovaks had a two-man advantage for 52 seconds but didn’t generate any great scoring chances with the opportunity.

Aurard got her second midway through the middle period to give France even more breathing room but just a few minutes later Nikola Rumanova got Slovakia on the board.

Soon after, the team had a great opportunity to make a game of it when Lea Villiot was given a major and game misconduct penalty for hitting from behind, but Slovakia gave up a goal with the lengthy advantage, more or less sealing its fate.

For Baldin, the win caps a memorable season which saw her backstop the ZSC Lions Zurich to the women’s championship in Switzerland.

“I’ve made a lot of good friends with my club team in Zurich,” she enthused. “They’re like family to me. Even though they might play for Team Switzerland, that doesn’t matter. For the moment, this win today is the biggest win of my life. But last year at the Olympic qualification, we came close to beating Germany, and really close to beating Japan, so tonight it was amazing to finally win.”

Austria, after opening the tournament with a loss, improved to a silver-medal finish while Hungary won the bronze. Norway’s Ena Nystrom was named best goaltender by the tournament directorate while Gwendoline Gendarme of France was voted best defender and Fanni Gasparics, who led the tournament in scoring (6+4), won the award as best forward.

The 2019 IIHF Ice Hockey Women’s World Championship will include the United States, Canada, host Finland, Germany, Russia, Sweden, Switzerland, the Czech Republic, Japan and France. The host city and the dates will be announced soon. Next year’s Division I Group A will include Austria, Hungary, Denmark, Norway, Slovakia and Italy, which earned promotion last night as well.

Results Thread

WOMEN´S

DIVISION I GROUP B

acf4f13173.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DeRocco delights!

WWIB: Italian scores only goal for promotion

30709550_10156108602460900_5199015374951

Linda DeRocco scored the only goal of the game midway through the second period and Giulia Mazzocchi stopped all 21 shots to give Italy a 1-0 win over China on the final day of the 2018 IIHF Ice Hockey Women’s World Championship Division I Group B.

The win puts Italy ahead of Korea in the final standings and give it a spot in the Division I Group A for next year. Italy will finish this year’s Women’s World Championship program 16th overall – its highest ranking it also reached in 1999 and 2005 – and will for the first time compete in the second tier of the Women’s Worlds. Its only previous appearance at higher level came when it hosted the 2006 Olympics in Turin.

Italy won the Division I Group B on home ice in Asiago before 550 fans in the final game. A tournament that saw a dramatic turn of events on the final day of the tournament. In the early game on Saturday, Korea hammered Poland, 9-2, to move into top spot with 11 points and a record of 3-1-0-1, putting Italy in a must-win situation in the evening.

The first period was tense and with few scoring chances, and China had a chance early in the second to open the scoring when Xin He hit the post from the slot.

DeRocco put the puck in at 10:17 of the second when her point shot hit a Chinese player in front and dribbled slowly past goalie Yuqing Wang.

Italy played flawless defence, but China nearly tied the game under most improbable circumstances. With a little more than two minutes left to play in the third, Zhixin Liu took a double-minor penalty, and all seemed to be lost for the Chinese.

At one point, though, they fired the puck down the ice and Mazzocchi mishandled the puck behind her goal. Minghui Kong picked it up and tried a quick wraparound. Mazzocchi made the acrobatic glove save facing her own goal, and Italy hung on for the win.

Korea was the only team to beat Italy, 3-2 thanks to two goals in the last three minutes of play from Randi Griffin and Chaelin Park, but had to settle for second place because of losing four points elsewhere. After their Olympic experience the Koreans, who came in as the promoted and lowest seeded team, were on fire and just one point away from earning a second straight promotion. But the Koreans lost an Asian clash between the last and next Winter Olympics host China 3-2 and lost a point in the 2-1 overtime win against Kazakhstan of the opening day.

The scoring and award race was dominated by the top-two ranked countries. Italy’s Eleonora Dalpra led with nine points (3+6) ahead of two Koreans, captain Jongah Park (4+3) and goal-scoring leader Yoonjung Park (5+0). Jongah Park, who two months earlier carried the Olympic torch to lit the cauldron as second-last athlete together with North Korean player Su Hyon Jong, was voted best forward by the tournament directorate. The other two individual awards when to Italians. Mazzocchi, who had the best save percentage with 94.62% tightly before China’s Yuqing Wang (94.44%), was named best goaltender and Nadia Mattivi best defenceman.

After starting the tournament with a loss, Latvia moved up in the standings and beat Kazakhstan for third place on the last day – 1-0 thanks to Sarma Ozmena’s goal.

China, which won bronze one year ago and had hope for more thanks to its ambitious program that includes two teams in the Canadian Women’s Hockey League, finished the tournament in fifth place with two wins and three losses and will remain in the Division I Group B for 2019.

Although Poland finished in last place, it will not be relegated because the top level is going to ten teams. The group will be completed by the Netherlands next year.

Results Thread

WOMEN'S

IIHF WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS 2018

UNOFFICIAL FINAL STANDING

RANK NATION WCh2019
1 :USA United States A
2 :CAN Canada A
3 :FIN Finland A
4 :RUS Russia A
5 :SUI Switzerland A
6 :JPN Japan A
7 :SWE Sweden A
Not Ranked :CZE Czech Republic A
Not Ranked :GER Germany A
10 :FRA France A
11 :AUT Austria I A
12 :HUN Hungary I A
13 :DEN Denmark I A
14 :NOR Norway I A
15 :SVK Slovakia I A
16 :ITA Italy I A
17 :KOR South Korea I B
18 :LAT Latvia I B
19 :KAZ Kazakhstan I B
20 :CHN China I B
21 :POL Poland I B
22 :NED Netherlands I B
23 :GBR Great Britain II A
24 :PRK North Korea II A
25 :AUS Australia II A
26 :SLO Slovenia II A
27 :MEX Mexico II A
28 :ESP Spain II A
29 :TPE Chinese Taipei II B
30 :ISL Iceland II B
31 :NZL New Zealand II B
32 :TUR Turkey II B
33 :ROU Romania II B
34 :CRO Croatia II B
35 :BEL Belgium II B Q
36 :RSA South Africa II B Q
37 :HKG Hong Kong II B Q
38 :BUL Bulgaria II B Q

* Important to note: There no Women´s Top Division World Championships in a Olympic year. So the top 7 countries are ranked by their PyeongChang Olympic result.

**Czech Republic and Germany are the 2 "A" category countries that not entered the this years program, since they did not qualify for the Olympic tournament. Thus are not ranked.

***Since IIHF officially announced that next year the Women´s top division will expand from 8 to 10 teams, there were not relegated countries in this years different divisions tournaments.