Sunday April 8th, 2018 -

Round-Robin Last Day Results (GMT +3)

12:15  :DEN Denmark  5 - 3  Norway :NOR

16:15  :GER Germany  8 - 2  Slovenia :SLO 

20:15  :LAT Latvia  2 - 1  Kazakhstan :KAZ

Final Standing

1. Latvia 15  :LAT  :champion:

Qualified for the Men´s Under 18 World Championships 2019

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Germany 12

3. Denmark 6

4. Kazakhstan 6

5. Norway 3

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6. Slovenia 3

Relegated for the Men´s Under 18 Division I Group B World Championships 2019

MEN´S UNDER 18

DIVISION I GROUP A

82e69add19.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Latvia returns to U18 elite

Sorokins’ new-look roster triumphs in Riga

30414527_10156094669360900_5652676433801

Latvia made an immediate return to the top division after winning the 2018 IIHF Ice Hockey U18 World Championship Division I Group A on home ice at Arena Riga.

The Baltic nation wrapped up the title with a game to spare, winning its first four games in a competitive group. After some surprise results in the early stages, notably newly-promoted Slovenia’s 3-2 win over Denmark and Germany’s 1-0 verdict against last year’s runner-up, Kazakhstan, that consistency was enough to settle the destination of the gold medal. Going into game four against the Danes, Latvia knew that victory would bring gold. After an early scare, the host ran out 4-1 winners thanks to a trio of third-period goals before 2,200 fans.

That result ensured that only Germany could match Latvia’s tally of 12 points, and the head-to-head meeting between the countries had already ended in a 3-1 home win. Again, though, Latvia had to battle to get the win. The Germans took the lead with a power-play goal midway through the first period: Yannick Valenti converted a power-play chance when he collected the puck on the boards and surged forward to fire home from between the hash marks.

Latvia tied it up before the first intermission thanks to a breakaway goal. Glebs Prohorenkovs released his HK Riga team-mate Patriks Marcinkevics and the move ended with a well-placed shot from the left face-off spot.

The home team hit the front for the first time in the middle frame with Marcinkevics involved again. He won the puck in the corner, turned away from his opponent and sent a delicious feed onto the stick of Vladislavs Barkovskis for the 2-1 goal. Deniss Fjordorovs added a third in the 49th minute, taking advantage of the extra space during a passage of four-on-four play. He took Ernests Osinieks’ pass into German territory and used the decoy move of Gustavs Millars to split the defence and allow a shot that gave Florian Mnich no chance in the German net.

Having secured its gold medals, Latvia went on to complete a perfect record of five wins from five games thanks to a tight 2-1 success over Kazakhstan on Sunday evening. Osnieks scored on a 5-on-3 power play to cancel out Yernar Musabayev’s early opener for the Kazakhs, then Millars grabbed the winner in the 56th minute. Kazakhstan’s defeat cost the team a bronze medal.

This year’s Latvian team was almost completely fresh. Incoming head coach Olegs Sorokins, a much-travelled defenceman in a playing career that began in 1991/92 and only came to an end last season, shuffled the pack. Only goalie Janis Voris returned from the roster that was relegated in Slovakia a year ago, and he impressed in a tournament where he allowed just two goals in his three starts with an SVG of over 96%. He was voted Best Goaltender of the tournament while two Germans won the other awards: Moritz Seider as Best Defenceman and Yannick Valenti as Best Forward.

In general, it was the defence that impressed on the host’s side: the tournament’s scoring leaders came from Germany, which scored 22 times in five games with Valenti potting five of them and Taro Jentzsch leading the scoring with seven (1+6) points. No Latvian player made a big impact on the scoring charts, but the team had 14 different skaters with at least one point over the course of the tournament.

Germany took silver behind Latvia, with Denmark grabbing bronze despite losing three of its five games. The Danes tied with Kazakhstan on six points, but the head-to-head verdict went their way thanks to a 4-2 victory when the teams met on Thursday.

At the foot of the table, Slovenia dropped to Division IB despite a promising start to the tournament. A narrow 1-2 loss against the host was followed by a 3-2 victory over Denmark to give the Slovenes a great chance of staying at this level after last season’s promotion. However, it all went wrong after that: Slovenia lost its next three games by big margins, including a crucial 0-5 loss against Norway. That was the Norwegians’ only success of the tournament, but it ensured a head-to-head advantage over Slovenia and kept them in Division IA for another season.

Results Thread

The Division I Group B tournament will start tomorrow in Kyiv, Ukraine

2018 IIHF Ice Hockey U18 World Championship Division I Group B
In Kyiv, :UKR , 14-20 April 2018
Participants: Hungary, Austria, Japan, Italy, Ukraine, Romania

Saturday April 14th, 2018 -

Round-Robin Day 1 Schedule (GMT +3)

13:00  :UKR Ukraine vs Japan :JPN

16:30  :ITA Italy vs Austria :AUT 

20:00  :ROU Romania vs Hungary :HUN

*Tournament Format: 6 Nations play a usual Round-Robin tournament, Each team play once every opponent,

The first ranked Nation will qualify for the Men´s Under 18 Division I Group A World Championships next year in 2019, where they will replace Sloveia, relegated country from this years Division I A tournament played last week i Riga, Latvia.

Teams ranked from 2nd to 5th will stay in this division also for the next year

and the last ranked Nation will be relegated to the Men´s Under 18 Division II Group A World Championships 2019, where they willl replace Great Britain, freshly promoted country from this years Div II A tournament played in Estonia early last month.

Saturday April 14th, 2018 -

Round-Robin Day 1 Results (GMT +3)

13:00  :UKR Ukraine  0 - 1  Japan :JPN

16:30  :ITA Italy  1 - 2  Austria :AUT 

20:00  :ROU Romania  0 - 5  Hungary :HUN

Provisional Standing after Day 1:

1. Hungary 3 pts, 2. Austria 3 pts, 3. Japan 3 pts, 4. Italy 0 pts, 5. Ukraine 0 pts, 6. Romania 0 pts

Sunday April 15th, 2018 -

Round-Robin Day 2 Schedule (GMT +3)

13:00  :AUT Austria vs Ukraine :UKR

16:30  :JPN Japan vs Romania :ROU 

20:00  :HUN Hungary vs Italy :ITA

Sunday April 15th, 2018 -

Round-Robin Day 2 Results (GMT +3)

13:00  :AUT Austria  3 - 5  Ukraine :UKR

16:30  :JPN Japan  5 - 3  Romania :ROU 

20:00  :HUN Hungary  4 - 0  Italy :ITA

Provisional Standing after Day 2:

1. Hungary 6 pts, 2. Japan 6 pts, 3. Ukraine 3 pts, 4. Austria 3 pts, 5. Italy 0 pts, 6. Romania 0 pts.

Tuesday April 17th, 2018 -

Round-Robin Day 3 Schedule (GMT +3)

13:00  :ROU Romania vs Italy :ITA

16:30  :AUT Austria vs Japan :JPN 

20:00  :HUN Hungary vs Ukraine :UKR

Tuesday April 17th, 2018 -

Round-Robin Day 3 Results (GMT +3)

13:00  :ROU Romania  1 - 7  Italy :ITA

16:30  :AUT Austria  4 - 0  Japan :JPN 

20:00  :HUN Hungary 3 - 4  Ukraine :UKR

Provisional Standing after Day 3:

1. Hungary 6 pts, 2. Austria 6 pts, 3. Ukraine 6 pts, 4. Japan 6 pts, 5. Italy 3 pts, 6. Romania 0 pts.

Wednesday April 18th, 2018 -

Round-Robin Day 4 Schedule (GMT +3)

13:00  :AUT Austria vs Romania :ROU

16:30  :JPN Japan vs Hungary  :HUN 

20:00  :ITA Italy vs Ukraine :UKR

Wednesday April 18th, 2018 -

Round-Robin Day 4 Results (GMT +3)

13:00  :AUT Austria  7 - 1  Romania :ROU

16:30  :JPN Japan  PSO3 - 2  Hungary  :HUN 

20:00  :ITA Italy  1 - 3  Ukraine :UKR

Provisional Standing after Day 4:

1. Ukraine 9 pts, 2. Austria 9 pts, 3. Hungary 8 pts, 4. Japan 7 pts, 5. Italy 3 pts, 6. Romania 0 pts.

*Romania already assured to be relegated for the next years U18 Division II A and Italy is already assured to finish 5th.