website statistics

Historical Sport Pictures

Gianlu33

4 hours ago, TomJa said:

OH MY GOD, I remember that. This match was a laugh in the hall. And at that time he perfectly highlighted all the Polish Football Association's problems ...

Yeah, we were probably the most luckiest nation in the world that night :lol: Our commentator almost finished in the local Chorzow hospital with heart attack :d

Here better quality of the total mayhem after last whistle (the first and last time we qualified for a World Cup) :roflmao:

6 godzin temu, hckosice napisał:

Yeah, we were probably the most luckiest nation in the world that night :lol: Our commentator almost finished in the local Chorzow hospital with heart attack :d

Here better quality of the total mayhem after last whistle (the first and last time we qualified for a World Cup) :roflmao:

When you were promoted to the World Championships, I supported you during the struggle at Mudnial.

• 4 weeks later...

Rachel Bayliss & Gurgle the Geek (Badminton 1973)

It's the only known case when rider and horse both went under the fence... And somehow stayed intact. :d Because of a loophole they received no penalties, however the rules have changed since.

gurgle-the-greek-31.jpg

#banbestmen

• 4 weeks later...

This picture doesn't have much sport history attached to it, but for some reason, I'm just fucking loving it.

French boxer Billy Balzac* contemplating on his defeated foe lying down on the ring (European Championship, 1920)

EMGg3HhWoAI0A2r?format=jpg

*yes, that was his name

• 3 weeks later...

Exactly 95 years ago was played the first ever international Ice Hockey game on Slovak soil, The European Championships in the lake of Štrbské Pleso

It was supposed to be played in Prague, However, the weather came into play.

Even during the Christmas holidays in the capital of the Czechoslovak Republic it was freezing strong enough, but immediately after the New Year there was a significant warming. The ice on the Slavia Prague rink melted and so the European Championships was supposed to be moved to the Jordán pond in the Czech city of Tábor according to plan B. The Sovakian city in the High Tatras Štrbské Pleso was supposed to be the last option.

On the Jordan Pond, however, some holes appeared, and therefore the Minister of Industry Ladislav Novak at the Congress of the Ligue Internationale de Hockey sur Glace (LIHG), nowadays IIHF, on 6 January 1925 announced that the European Championship venue will be in the High Tatras and matches will take place on the natural ice of Strbske Pleso.

Czechoslovakia (Team composed only by Czech players) won the title ahead of Austria and Switzerland

citUwOUSQfDIm7nZcr8WWA.png?t=LzB4MTM6MTE

• 3 weeks later...

I found out about this recently. It's not about historical sport pictures but about Olympic mascot's history.

At 1980 Olympics besides Misha there was a mascot just for one sport - sailing.

It's a baby seal Vigry. Estonian SSR chamber of commerce did a contest because sailing competitions were in Tallinn and this mascot won.

Some information in English: source. Information in Russian.

2885521.jpg

Edited by Dmitry