website statistics

[POLL] Would you like E-Sports to be contested at the Olympic Games?

Vojthas

Would you like E-Sports to be contested at the Olympic Games?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like E-Sports to be contested at the Olympic Games?

• Yes, the Olympic Movement cannot ignore the voice of youth
    • No, it's against the tradition of sport

I don't get what harm adding e-Sports is

Being "against tradition" is kind of irrelevant - otherwise nothing will get changed

That companies make games - companies make tennis rackets, football boots, golf clubs... not the end of the world

That it's "not a sport" - this is a bit of an NTS (No True Sportsman?). There is no line for "sport" ending and starting - if shooting can stay then e-Sports can

And that it's not "spectator friendly", the best response for that is Equestrian Dressage.

If it's too complicated... does anyone understand how Sport Climbing works... not that easy to learn... equestrian, surfing, martial arts

It has a big fan base, probably bigger than things like Taekwondo and Surfing

There can be variety with many different games

Honestly if they were big enough I wouldn't mind putting skilled card games like the PTCG in either, or even board games. If you don't want to watch don't.

But there are caveats. If only we had a Games to trial new sports like this to see if they work...

768px-International_World_Games_AssociatMaybe these guys can help us out

As now we come across the world
To share these Games of old
Let all the flags of every land
In brotherhood unfold

1 hour ago, Mkbw50 said:

Being "against tradition" is kind of irrelevant - otherwise nothing will get changed

That companies make games - companies make tennis rackets, football boots, golf clubs... not the end of the world

That it's "not a sport" - this is a bit of an NTS (No True Sportsman?). There is no line for "sport" ending and starting - if shooting can stay then e-Sports can

And that it's not "spectator friendly", the best response for that is Equestrian Dressage.

If it's too complicated... does anyone understand how Sport Climbing works... not that easy to learn... equestrian, surfing, martial arts

Honestly if they were big enough I wouldn't mind putting skilled card games like the PTCG in either, or even board games. If you don't want to watch don't.

But there are caveats. If only we had a Games to trial new sports like this to see if they work...

Yes, I agree with everything! The 2017 Asian Indoor and Martial Arts Games (this September) will have eSports as a demonstration sport then the 2018 Asian games will also have eSports as a demonstration sport, then the 2022 Asian games will have eSports as a medal event. Hopefully between 2018 and 2022 we will see eSports be added to more events. 

hace 2 horas, Mkbw50 said:

Yes, but adidas doesn't own football, Wilson doesn't own tennis, etc. These sports are "owned" by an international federation which has "subsidiaries" (national federations) in each country. And every one of them has a say in how the international federation and the game in general must be run. In a video game company only a handful of people make all the decisions. I see there is a video game international federation, but I don't know how much power it can have in practice... at the end each videogame is essentially a totally different "sport" and each company can do whatever it wants with it's product. The situation is not the same as in conventional sports because, for example, there is no "adidas football" or "nike football", there is one association football game and there are companies that just provide the products to play it.

Edited by LDOG

8 hours ago, dcro said:

Since when billiard and poker players need quick reflexes?

And last time I checked computer mouse didn't weigh 4 kilos...

It doesn't have to weigh 4 kilos to be very much physically intensive. It's not like most top competitors spend a lot of time on physical training (including visits to the gym) for fun. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

41 minutes ago, LDOG said:

Yes, but adidas doesn't own football, Wilson doesn't own tennis, etc. These sports are "owned" by an international federation which has "subsidiaries" (national federations) in each country. And every one of them has a say in how the international federation and the game in general must be run. In a video game company only a handful of people make all the decisions. I see there is a video game international federation, but I don't know how much power it can have in practice... at the end each videogame is essentially a totally different "sport" and each company can do whatever it wants with it's product. The situation is not the same as in conventional sports because, for example, there is no "adidas football" or "nike football", there is one association football game and there are companies that just provide the products to play it.

That could be solved by letting the international federation create a game for competition purposes only, but obviously that would have absolutely no attraction among top competitors (who won't care about some random game, but care about the actual big games), so that's not really an option too. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 hours ago, Mkbw50 said:

Apart from the sentence I made bold, I agree with basically everything :p 

It definitely has a much bigger fan base than several current Olympic sports and I'm pretty sure it'll be easier to follow than dressage or even sailing. 

I can't answer to the poll formulated in this way...there are worse events in the Olympics, despite being show and entertainment rather than sports.

But which video games could be used to play? I can't think of a game which:

- requires some physical abilities (so not purely strategic games / mind games);

- is not a sport simulation (there is already the real version);

- is not based on violence, killing,...

4 hours ago, Dunadan said:

I can't answer to the poll formulated in this way...there are worse events in the Olympics, despite being show and entertainment rather than sports.

But which video games could be used to play? I can't think of a game which:

- requires some physical abilities (so not purely strategic games / mind games);

- is not a sport simulation (there is already the real version);

- is not based on violence, killing,...

You need fast reaction speeds (in terms of physical abilities)

As now we come across the world
To share these Games of old
Let all the flags of every land
In brotherhood unfold

3 minutes ago, Mkbw50 said:

You need fast reaction speeds (in terms of physical abilities)

Yes but not for all games...can you tell me the name of a game which is currently played in e-sports competitions that needs physical abilities (reflexes, coordination,...) and it's not a simulation of an existing sport and it's not violent ?