website statistics

[POLL] Would you like E-Sports to be contested at the Olympic Games?

Vojthas

Would you like E-Sports to be contested at the Olympic Games?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like E-Sports to be contested at the Olympic Games?

• Yes, the Olympic Movement cannot ignore the voice of youth
    • No, it's against the tradition of sport

I don't think shooting for example is so much more physically demanding, I mean, judging by the sizes of quite a lot of the competitors. By which I'm not saying shooting is not demanding, I'm saying e-sports is a lot more physically demanding than most people think. Not allowing e-sports simply because "there's no physical activity" only shows one doesn't really have a clue (although that does sound perfectly like what the IOC might do then :p ), not allowing it because the games are all made and owned by large companies and the competition would be one huge commercial for them is a way better reason. 

So I can't vote yes or no in this poll: I'd vote no, but not because 'it's against the tradition of sports', because it's not, or at least not more than other 'artificial' sports (basically sports besides running fast, swimming fast and fighting) :p 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Il y a 2 heures , heywoodu a déclaré:

I don't think shooting for example is so much more physically demanding, I mean, judging by the sizes of quite a lot of the competitors. By which I'm not saying shooting is not demanding, I'm saying e-sports is a lot more physically demanding than most people think. Not allowing e-sports simply because "there's no physical activity" only shows one doesn't really have a clue (although that does sound perfectly like what the IOC might do then :p ),

It is demanding, just like any "mind sport" is. Yet, it doesn't recquire any athletics skills.

Shooting, neither, but it is an historic olympic sport, been there since the beginiing. IMHO, it's enough to warrant some kind of historic exemption to this rule.

I wouldn't cry neither if the IOC was to droping shooting from the progam anyway.

il y a 7 minutes, dcro a déclaré:

Archery is a form of shooting that doesn't get bashed here. :p

It's outdoor, archers look relatively fit - mostly - (Brady :bye:), it recquires some strenght...

There always will be some kind of grey zone anyway (archery, golf...), but a line need to be drawned somewhere.

6 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

It's outdoor, archers look relatively fit - mostly - (Brady :bye:), it recquires some strenght...

There always will be some kind of grey zone anyway (archery, golf...), but a line need to be drawned somewhere.

Shooters are as equally fit as archers... :dunno:

#banbestmen

il y a 11 minutes, Vojthas a déclaré:

Shooters also need strength - do you know what recoil is?

Recoil and 10m air pistol ?

Citation

And shotgun shooters have to have more reflex and concentration, as they are shooting to the moving target.

Exactly the kind of arguments that an "e-sport" (or poker, or billard, or whatever) fan would would use for an olympic inclusion. Something you apparently were against. Jeez....

Edited by De_Gambassi