Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Login | Create an Account

Sign in to follow this  
LDOG

Volleyball Qualification for Summer Olympic Games 2016

57 minutes ago, VolleyRuller96 said:

Well, the general secretary of Russian Volley Federation said lately that he "doesn't expect" FiVB to analyze Rusian results or to  disqualify Russia and hopes it will stay that way. To be honest it reminds me of last year's world league, where Russian volleyball authorities were also pretty sure that they country won't be relegated to division II even before FIvB announced their decision.

Do we know if he was caught after the semi or the final ? If the latter, FIVB could simply decide on Russia's forfet for the final only. Meaning that Russia would still have a great chance to qualifie for Rio and the FIVB could keep on pretending they care about anti-doping.

17 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

Do we know if he was caught after the semi or the final ? If the latter, FIVB could simply decide on Russia's forfet for the final only. Meaning that Russia would still have a great chance to qualifie for Rio and the FIVB could keep on pretending they care about anti-doping.

According to this article, the positive test was after the match against Germany in the semi final: http://www.sport1.de/volleyball/dvv-pokal/2016/03/dvv-herren-winkt-nachtraeglich-ein-ticket-fuer-olympische-spiele-in-rio

Just now, EselTheDonkey said:

According to this article, the positive test was after the match against Germany in the semi final: http://www.sport1.de/volleyball/dvv-pokal/2016/03/dvv-herren-winkt-nachtraeglich-ein-ticket-fuer-olympische-spiele-in-rio

But with a Russian DSQ Germany still would have to play the worldwide OQT for which they're not qualified now, right? I mean, it's not like Germany would get Russia's ticket..

1 minute ago, EselTheDonkey said:

Ok, then it's either nothing or Russia out of Rio. So, really, it means that nothing will happen.

14 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

He was tested positive for doping both after the final & semifinal vs Germany, where he played in 3rd set (which was won by Russia)

What's funny is that a person from Russian Volleyball Federation has already claimed, with nobody asking the question, that the whole team of Dynamo Moscow used the same doping substance, but in december 2015, before the substance was illegal. I don't want to sound like a conspiracy theorist here, but after all this I am seriously wondering if he did that just to statte a fact, or does this have something to do with 5 players from that club playing in the Olympic Qualification Tournament, and maybe he already knows something and is already looking for excuses. I realise I might sound rude to the Russian fans, who are probably already  depressed due to how many of their athletes have been tested positive recently, but after Michael Platini case I learned that in those sort of situations  you don't answer the questions nobody asked -  I mean, at the beggining he too criticized the Fifa corruption scandal & Sepp Blatter , and we all know how it all ended 

If Russia gets DSQ (and I don't really think that they will) then there are two possibilities.

1.) France as the finalist gets the direct ticket for Rio and Germany gets the ticket for the Qualifier in Japan.

or 2.) They have to repeat the European Qualifier.

I can't believe that possibility number two will happen. France or Poland would be (understandably!) not happy about this at all. And they don't have much time anyway. the decision is at the end of April and the tournament at the end of May. They have to find a host, a date and the teams have to regroup. This seems impossible.

Just now, EselTheDonkey said:

If Russia gets DSQ (and I don't really think that they will) then there are two possibilities.

1.) France as the finalist gets the direct ticket for Rio and Germany gets the ticket for the Qualifier in Japan.

I can't believe that possibility number two will happen. France or Poland would be (understandably!) not happy about this at all. And they don't have much time anyway. the decision is at the end of April and the tournament at the end of May. They have to find a host, a date and the teams have to regroup. This seems impossible.

Even for the FIVB, option 2 is too ridiculous to be agreed.

"Early in December 2015, Markin failed in the urine test but he was able to play for the Olympic qualification tournament."

I don't understand really.

This has to be a typo and they mean January. In December Meldonium was still legal, so he couldn't have failed a test.

35 minutes ago, EselTheDonkey said:

Option 2 would result in France going to CAS and CAS judging that the European qualifier won't be repeated I suppose. It would be the same as running every race again every time an athlete gets caught and that never happens of course.

5 hours ago, De_Gambassi said:

Seriousness of the anti-doping rule violation: Meldonium was legal until the end of 2015, so the violation wasnt very serious.

Whether the athlete tested negative in other games of the same event: Hasnt been announced yet, but he tested positive two times in the same event.

Extent to which the team's result has been affected by the anti-doping rule violation: I think Markin only played in 1 set against Germany, but i dont know how much influence he had and if he played against France. I would say its difficult to tell how good Russia wouldve played without him, but he wasnt among the most important russian players.

I think all of this wouldnt be a reason to suspend Russia, but they have to test all russian players for Meldonium and if more russian players will get caught, then they have to suspend Russia. I think if more russian players wouldve been caught, then they already wouldve announced it, so Russia should be pretty safe. Either Markin was the only player who took Meldonium or they didnt test the other players who were doped. The question is: Shouldnt it be normal to test all players after each match? If you only test few players, then you are very unlikely to fulfill your own criteria for suspending a whole team, but maybe some federations dont want to suspend (certain) whole teams.

5 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Extent to which the team's result has been affected by the anti-doping rule violation: I think Markin only played in 1 set against Germany, but i dont know how much influence he had and if he played against France. I would say its difficult to tell how good Russia wouldve played without him, but he wasnt among the most important russian players.

He played the three russian winning sets (rested during the first - lost - one), scoring 17 points. Quite influent, I'd say.