website statistics

Volleyball Qualification for Summer Olympic Games 2016

LDOG

Just now, EselTheDonkey said:

If Russia gets DSQ (and I don't really think that they will) then there are two possibilities.

1.) France as the finalist gets the direct ticket for Rio and Germany gets the ticket for the Qualifier in Japan.

or 2.) They have to repeat the European Qualifier.

I can't believe that possibility number two will happen. France or Poland would be (understandably!) not happy about this at all. And they don't have much time anyway. the decision is at the end of April and the tournament at the end of May. They have to find a host, a date and the teams have to regroup. This seems impossible.

Even for the FIVB, option 2 is too ridiculous to be agreed.

35 minutes ago, EselTheDonkey said:

If Russia gets DSQ (and I don't really think that they will) then there are two possibilities.

1.) France as the finalist gets the direct ticket for Rio and Germany gets the ticket for the Qualifier in Japan.

or 2.) They have to repeat the European Qualifier.

I can't believe that possibility number two will happen. France or Poland would be (understandably!) not happy about this at all. And they don't have much time anyway. the decision is at the end of April and the tournament at the end of May. They have to find a host, a date and the teams have to regroup. This seems impossible.

Option 2 would result in France going to CAS and CAS judging that the European qualifier won't be repeated I suppose. It would be the same as running every race again every time an athlete gets caught and that never happens of course.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

5 hours ago, De_Gambassi said:

Seriousness of the anti-doping rule violation: Meldonium was legal until the end of 2015, so the violation wasnt very serious.

Whether the athlete tested negative in other games of the same event: Hasnt been announced yet, but he tested positive two times in the same event.

Extent to which the team's result has been affected by the anti-doping rule violation: I think Markin only played in 1 set against Germany, but i dont know how much influence he had and if he played against France. I would say its difficult to tell how good Russia wouldve played without him, but he wasnt among the most important russian players.

I think all of this wouldnt be a reason to suspend Russia, but they have to test all russian players for Meldonium and if more russian players will get caught, then they have to suspend Russia. I think if more russian players wouldve been caught, then they already wouldve announced it, so Russia should be pretty safe. Either Markin was the only player who took Meldonium or they didnt test the other players who were doped. The question is: Shouldnt it be normal to test all players after each match? If you only test few players, then you are very unlikely to fulfill your own criteria for suspending a whole team, but maybe some federations dont want to suspend (certain) whole teams.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

5 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Extent to which the team's result has been affected by the anti-doping rule violation: I think Markin only played in 1 set against Germany, but i dont know how much influence he had and if he played against France. I would say its difficult to tell how good Russia wouldve played without him, but he wasnt among the most important russian players.

He played the three russian winning sets (rested during the first - lost - one), scoring 17 points. Quite influent, I'd say.

33 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

He played the three russian winning sets (rested during the first - lost - one), scoring 17 points. Quite influent, I'd say.

Agreed, but lets be honest: There is no objective measurement for that, so FIVB can do everything they want with it. The same is true for the seriousness of the anti-doping rule violation, how do you determine the seriousness of an anti-doping rule violation? I think Russia only will get suspended if more players will get caught, which seems unlikely at this moment. I think the result of Russia getting suspended would be that France qualifies directly for Rio and then Germany would get the french spot at the world qualification tournament.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

hi to everyone in totallympics and i should thank sindo for the new forum, it's cool :yes

anyway about Russia's situation. two  point of view should be discussed, first since markin's test positive in OQT , FIVB should make decision whether disqualify all of the team or not in this scenario i don't think they want to disqualified Olympic gold medalists for one positive sample.

but on the larger scale in point of view 2, sth like systematic doping issue seems to happened and maybe that would make IOC sensitive about russian doping cases and take serious action about this. besides we should consider some kind of semi-political sportive challenge between superpowers like Russia and USA (started from FIFA WC hosting) could effect on the situation. 

The final tournament of European League will be hosted by Varna, Bulgaria :lol: i just can't understand CEV/ FiVB anymore. HOW Exactly do they want to promote volleyball, when almost every tournament, important or not important, is hosted by the same group of countries (Poland, Italy, Brazil, Bulgaria & Japan) and they do not offer basically any legal way to watch the games, especially CEV? Even if they suspect the  turnout wouldn't be very big in Albania, Estonia etc it's THEIR freakin' job as sports federation to make sure it will be at least acceptable.

My favourite Volleyball position: LIBERO. You ask why? Look here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyIOarNAONk