website statistics

Biathlon at the Winter Olympic Games 2018

George_D

Aaand I missed this one too :lol: Damn work :mad:

I thought this relay was the best one and that it would be our best chance of a medal on a relay, but gold? Amazing :woot::clap: I can't wait to watch the race when I get home!

And congrats to Italy for the bronze medal:thumbup: 

Edited by Bohemia

36 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Of course it's the incorrect decision, but after everything we have seen here, it's not surprising. In the end i am happy for Italy, because getting bronze here would have actually been worse for me as a fan, because this would have reminded me forever at that race when looking at the medal table, a 4th place will be forgotten much easier. Italians seem to be really happy about this very surprising medal, so i think it's better that fans who appreciate this medal "get" it, instead of fans who will never be happy about this medal. Dahlmeier and Peiffer already have gold, Hinz will get hers in the women's relay, so i am only sad for Lesser, who probably will end his career without an olympic gold.

Not a very surprising medal, Italy in mixed is the 4th relay on paper, and when you are the 4th is likely you win a medal.

Italy winning a mixed relay medal being called 'very surprising' is one of the more hilarious moments of these Olympics. Basically everyone who said something about it and everywhere I read one thing was clear: Norway, Germany, France, Italy and Sweden were far and above the five main medal contenders. None of them would have been surprising. At all. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Mixed Teams 2x6km W + 2x7.5km M Relay

1. France :FRA (Marie Dorin Habert, Anais Bescond, Simon Desthieux, Martin Fourcade) 1:08:34.30+1 0+3,

2. Norway :NOR (Marte Olsbu, Tiril Eckhoff, Johannes Thingnes Boe, Emil Hegle Svendsen) 1:08:55.20+5 1+6,

3. Italy :ITA(Lisa Vittozzi, Dorothea Wierer, Lukas Hofer, Dominik Windisch) 1:09:01.20+1 0+6

Full Results HERE

Biathlon+Winter+Olympics+Day+11+FQ9bOR_t

Dorothea Wierer and Lukas Hofer ending these Olympics with a medal? Well, that's awesome, I really wanted them to get something :thumbup:

The biggest irony of these entire Olympics is how Kaisa Makarainen has always been let down by her teammates in relays, often not even starting in them, saving her energy. Yet today, this mixed relay equaled her best Olympic result - 6th place in 2014 Mass Start.

2 minutes ago, Werloc said:

Dorothea Wierer and Lukas Hofer ending these Olympics with a medal? Well, that's awesome, I really wanted them to get something :thumbup:

The biggest irony of these entire Olympics is how Kaisa Makarainen has always been let down by her teammates in relays, often not even starting in them, saving her energy. Yet today, this mixed relay equaled her best Olympic result - 6th place in 2014 Mass Start.

Very good job by the guys. In fact, I dare say today's performances by the men of Belarus and Finland are among the most surprisingly strong performances of these Olympics, at least in biathlon. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

vor 4 Stunden schrieb De_Gambassi:

Marie Dorin from likely not selected for the Olympics (not even as a backup) to olympic champion in less than two months :cheer:

I think, it's called 'depth'. But i'm not sure. We need a expert.

I would call it embarrassing by you, but maybe we need an expert ...

1) I never doubted that France had depth, just not as much as Germany.

2) She won a medal in a relay ... if you would have switched her for any of the 6 german female athletes here, it is still very likely that France would have won gold, it didn't have much to do with her being in such a good shape, it was all about Fourcade.

3) Could you be any less concrete than that? "likely not selected", "in less than two months" ... did France select it's team before christmas or why the drama? 12 years ago Denise Herrmann also wouldn't have been selected, so if Germany wins the women's relay, this would be a huge sensation, because at some point in her life, Denise Herrmann was in danger of not being selected ...

Franziska Preuß only qualified at the last world cup for the olympics, but if she wins gold with the relay, noone would seriously freak out about how big of an achievement that is.

In general it's just sad how immature many members of this forum are. If you don't agree with someone, quote him and try to lead a proper discussion, otherwise just shut up. If those people can't even discuss with people "face to face" on here, how do they ever plan to lead a proper discussion in "real life".

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

vor 3 Stunden schrieb heywoodu:

Italy winning a mixed relay medal being called 'very surprising' is one of the more hilarious moments of these Olympics. Basically everyone who said something about it and everywhere I read one thing was clear: Norway, Germany, France, Italy and Sweden were far and above the five main medal contenders. None of them would have been surprising. At all. 

Nice to know, for me most of the most hilarious moments of these Olympics come from looking at your results in the prediction contests and then comparing them to your "mister know-it-all" behavior in most of the threads whenever a surprising result happens. Didn't you earn enough money with your bets already to just retire and buy some island in the caribics? After the end of every competition, you always knew the outcome, it's almost like magic ...

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

vor 3 Stunden schrieb Andry84:

Not a very surprising medal, Italy in mixed is the 4th relay on paper, and when you are the 4th is likely you win a medal.

Hm, maybe you are right about the "4th on paper" part, Czech Republic and Sweden also have very good teams after all, but i don't get the other part of your comment. So if you are 4th on paper, you are likely to win a medal? Then what would you call the top 3 on paper, a lock to win a medal? Guess it depends on your definition of likely, but i would say likely = clearly more than 50% and i don't think that Italy had clearly more than 50% to medal.