website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Arts, Architectures and Landscapes Thread

DaniSRB

And this is Napoli :D this city I love/hate where I studied and actually work. This is Castel dell'Ovo that literally means "The Castle of the Egg", in a picture taken from the seaside. The whole world looks wonderful when you see it from there :) I can never remember the positions, but the two islands in the background should be, from left to right, Capri and Ischia.

IMG_8990.jpg

Edited by AlFHg

5 horas atrás, AlFHg disse:

This is Castel dell'Ovo that literally means "The Castle of the Egg"

I thought "ovo" was a word exclusive to the Portuguese language. You learn something new every day...

And the pictures are really great. Congrats!

5 ore fa, thiago_simoes ha scritto:

I thought "ovo" was a word exclusive to the Portuguese language. You learn something new every day...

And the pictures are really great. Congrats!

Well “Ovo” is not a current Italian word, it is an archaic form of “uovo”, but after all Western Europe language are quite similar :)

5 horas atrás, AlFHg disse:

Well “Ovo” is not a current Italian word, it is an archaic form of “uovo”, but after all Western Europe language are quite similar :)

Oh, that makes sense. In Spanish it is huevo, in French oeuf, in Romanian ou, so I thought Italian would have had a unique word too, like oufo, or something like this, so it makes sense to be uovo. In Portuguese we write ovo, and I have to say the word looks quite weird, but I can't explain why.

5 horas atrás, dcro disse:

In Croatian "ovo" means "this". :d

Nice! There's a Cirque du Soleil show called Ovo. It was created by a Brazilian choreographer, and she meant to make it sound different for people who speak other languages, because the word looks curious, but Croatians and Italians might not have been so enticed, after all. :d

Edited by thiago_simoes

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice and fun, but it doesn't come anywhere close to those many hundreds of years old mosques, cathedrals and churches :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!