website statistics

Weightlifting 2016 Discussion Thread

PetrC.

I think the entire of GB sport need to take a leaf out of the British Weightlifting book, they have finally grasped that if you send lots of athletes ... they will do well!! On the Men's Olympic standings GB are currently 3rd with 2 events left, despite not having a single lifter in an A final or a single lifter finish in the top 10 in any event. Sport, especially qualification, is all about tactics. If Cycling and Judo sent full squads to every points collecting qualification event then the likelihood is that more atheltes would have had more chances to win points, qualifying more athletes for Rio 2016. Please, please, please can other sports learn from Weightlifting and start to send full squads to all qualification events.

13 minutes ago, uk12points said:

I think the entire of GB sport need to take a leaf out of the British Weightlifting book, they have finally grasped that if you send lots of athletes ... they will do well!! On the Men's Olympic standings GB are currently 3rd with 2 events left, despite not having a single lifter in an A final or a single lifter finish in the top 10 in any event. Sport, especially qualification, is all about tactics. If Cycling and Judo sent full squads to every points collecting qualification event then the likelihood is that more atheltes would have had more chances to win points, qualifying more athletes for Rio 2016. Please, please, please can other sports learn from Weightlifting and start to send full squads to all qualification events.

But is it worth it for GB to have a weightlifter in Rio that might finish last? It is not Judo where there is still possibility for bronze for everybody,

3 minutes ago, Bearas said:

But is it worth it for GB to have a weightlifter in Rio that might finish last? It is not Judo where there is still possibility for bronze for everybody,

I understand your point, but qualifying an athlete will encourage UK Sport to fund an elite program in the Road to Tokyo 2020 and help the long term growth of the sport within GB. For the Women's whoever is chosen, Smith or Tiler, could break into the Top 10 in their event and then secure elite women's funding with a podium potential package. Event though we won't win a medal, it is still important to compete to inspire more people to participate in Weighlifting and grow the sport.

Edited by uk12points

22 minutes ago, uk12points said:

I understand your point, but qualifying an athlete will encourage UK Sport to fund an elite program in the Road to Tokyo 2020 and help the long term growth of the sport within GB. For the Women's whoever is chosen, Smith or Tiler, could break into the Top 10 in their event and then secure elite women's funding with a podium potential package. Event though we won't win a medal, it is still important to compete to inspire more people to participate in Weighlifting and grow the sport.

I see. Yet men's qualification looks horrible to me: :GBR:CZE:HUN:FIN:SVK all will have very weak weightlifters in Rio, just because they spammed the entry list, while some countries (f.e. 3xBaltics :LTU:LAT:EST ) did not even tried as they secured the individual ranking quotas anyway. This system has it own flaws. At least we managed to avoid :IRL qualifying who's men lifters perform weaker than top ladies in their competition.

42 minutes ago, uk12points said:

I see it the same way.  :yes

I don't get why they don't care more about wrestling. It's only Rattigan who loses her fights anyway but to become better you have to send athletes in every category. They don't even try qualifying for the Olympics. Not many people know GB has some history in freestyle wrestling. :d

Stopped watching sports, there are better things in life.

After the European Women's Qualification Event :GBR:ITA:POL:FRA:GER:ESP qualified for Rio.

The only Non-Qualified European woman currently in the top 10 of the World Rankings is Boyanka Kostova from :AZE, she is number 1 in the -58kg rankings and her individual quota is 99.9999% assured, unless she fails a doping test.

For the Men's European individual qualification these European athletes are currently in Individual Qualification places:

Men's -69kg Briken Calja :ALB is currently ranked 10th and should qualify or Men's -77kg Erkand Qerimaj :ALB is currently ranked 14th, however Albania can only qualify 1 athlete, so the NF would have to choose between Calja and Qerimaj.

Men's -85kg Antonis Dudoglo :GRE is currently ranked 14th with a 3kg advantage over 15th.

Men's -105kg Arturs Plesnieks :LAT is currently ranked 5th.

Men's +105kg Mart Seim :EST is ranked 5th.

Potentially 4 additional European nations could qualify via Individual rankings. For the men's 85/94/105/+105 there is 1 more chance to increase their individual total and ranking in at the IWF Grand Prix in Tehran at the end of May.

2 minutes ago, uk12points said:

For the Men's European individual qualification these European athletes are currently in Individual Qualification places:

Men's -69kg Briken Calja :ALB is currently ranked 10th and should qualify or Men's -77kg Erkand Qerimaj :ALB is currently ranked 14th, however Albania can only qualify 1 athlete, so the NF would have to choose between Calja and Qerimaj.

Men's -85kg Antonis Dudoglo :GRE is currently ranked 14th with a 3kg advantage over 15th.

Men's -105kg Arturs Plesnieks :LAT is currently ranked 5th.

Men's +105kg Mart Seim :EST is ranked 5th.

Potentially 4 additional European nations could qualify via Individual rankings. For the men's 85/94/105/+105 there is 1 more chance to increase their individual total and ranking in at the IWF Grand Prix in Tehran at the end of May.

:LTU Aurimas Didžbalis is 3rd in Men's 94kg