website statistics

Weightlifting 2016 Discussion Thread

PetrC.

Start book for Oceanian championships is up. http://www.iwf.net/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2016/05/StartBook_Fiji_2016.pdf

It's quite confusing, because this is not only senior championships, but also junior and youth... New Zealand has the biggest team with 36 lifters (20 M + 16 W), since when do they care about weightlifting?

I'm afraid it's generally not looking good for small nations. It will be hard to defeat New Zealand like in 2012, especially since they have zillion lifters! :wacko: Meanwhile, Papua New Guinea, who is one of the best in region, does not have enough lifters to qualify anyone in both men's and women's division! :facepalm::wall:

Nauru has one 12 year old girl. That seems so young even for youth division. :d

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

Looks like the turmoil in Papua New Guinea's weightlifting federation has cost them a spot at the Olympics (I'm not even sure if the tripartite commission would award them a spot because of that).

Overall six men's nations will fight for 5 spots while five women's nations will fight for 4 spots. For the men's events Nauru has the weakest team, but at the same time Kiribati has only brought six lifters meaning they all have to finish the event, if not Nauru will likely end up taking the spot. On the women's side New Zealand ended up with the lowest expected score, but it was only by 2 points which is easy enough to make-up. Also both Samoa and Solomon Islands brought 5 lifters which could be a factor if either nation has a terrible championship.

2 hours ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Looks like the turmoil in Papua New Guinea's weightlifting federation has cost them a spot at the Olympics (I'm not even sure if the tripartite commission would award them a spot because of that).

Overall six men's nations will fight for 5 spots while five women's nations will fight for 4 spots. For the men's events Nauru has the weakest team, but at the same time Kiribati has only brought six lifters meaning they all have to finish the event, if not Nauru will likely end up taking the spot. On the women's side New Zealand ended up with the lowest expected score, but it was only by 2 points which is easy enough to make-up. Also both Samoa and Solomon Islands brought 5 lifters which could be a factor if either nation has a terrible championship.

I think priority should definitely be given to the likes of Palau, Tuvalu...

PNG will not have a lifter for the first time since 1984. And also, sadly, Dika Toua won't be able to attend her 5th Olympics.

#banbestmen

2 minutes ago, dcro said:

I think priority should definitely be given to the likes of Palau, Tuvalu...

PNG will not have a lifter for the first time since 1984. And also, sadly, Dika Toua won't be able to attend her 5th Olympics.

I agree. One spot will likely go to Nauru (or Kiribati should one of their lifters fail). Assuming the previous report of tripartite quotas being true (3 quotas available for Oceania/Pan America) then things will get tough Micronesia, Palau and Tuvalu will be the most likely nations fighting for two spots. The results in the -62kg may be the deciding factor.

15 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Looks like Solomon Islands didn't do as well as the rankings in the entry list had them. This most likely means they will be the odd nation out in the women's events.

They are already 6 points down on the projection and New Zealand are up 2, so unless Samoa have some problems in the heaviest weight categories it looks like they will be missing out which is a shame.

However, the Marshall Islands lifter in the Women's -58kg has jumped up to 21st in the rankings, into a reallocation position. She is very young (only 18 or 19) and looks good for either a wild card or reallocation quota.

Edited by uk12points

13 minutes ago, uk12points said:

They are already 6 points down on the projection and New Zealand are up 2, so unless Samoa have some problems in the heaviest weight categories it looks like they will be missing out which is a shame.

However, the Marshall Islands lifter in the Women's -58kg has jumped up to 21st in the rankings, into a reallocation position. She is very young (only 18 or 19) and looks good for either a wild card or reallocation quota.

I thought Solomon Islands would be a near-lock for a tripartite quota, but the Marshall Islands girl has placed a convincing argument. I wish there were more tripartite quotas available in weightlifting it's a sport quite popular among "tripartite nations."

5 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

I thought Solomon Islands would be a near-lock for a tripartite quota, but the Marshall Islands girl has placed a convincing argument. I wish there were more tripartite quotas available in weightlifting it's a sport quite popular among "tripartite nations."

There should be at least 6 and the unofficial choice of Bangladesh so far is very questionable, their athletes have not shown any sign of great progress.

I hope that Solomon Islands and the Marshall Islands qualify, as both athletes are improving their PBs and could be respectable competitors in Rio.

The Men's side is more interesting as the Nauru, Kiribati and Micronesia all qualified without wild cards or reallocations in 2012. This year it is likely that either Nauru or Kiribati will miss out on a continental quota, leaving traditional weightlifting nations reliant on the wild cards, along with traditional wild card nations like Palau and Tuvalu.

7 minutes ago, uk12points said:

There should be at least 6 and the unofficial choice of Bangladesh so far is very questionable, their athletes have not shown any sign of great progress.

I hope that Solomon Islands and the Marshall Islands qualify, as both athletes are improving their PBs and could be respectable competitors in Rio.

The Men's side is more interesting as the Nauru, Kiribati and Micronesia all qualified without wild cards or reallocations in 2012. This year it is likely that either Nauru or Kiribati will miss out on a continental quota, leaving traditional weightlifting nations reliant on the wild cards, along with traditional wild card nations like Palau and Tuvalu.

Also, unofficially Kosovo and Equatorial Guinea received wild cards for men's events. If that really happens that would be really bad, a waste of quotas actually. Their athletes are much weaker than Oceania's...

These are unofficial wild cards so far (according to Indian NOC, apparently).

Men - :SRI:KOS:GEQ + 3 remaining

Women - :BAN:MAD + 2 remaining

Even if all remaining go to Oceania, some good nations will still miss out. Plus, this list is also missing America.

#banbestmen