website statistics

Fencing FIE World Championships 2017

dareza

in men's sabre, Korea was on fire, but Hungary didn't have anything left in the tank of their mental strenght...so, basically we didn't even have a real final bout, but just a one-team show, an exhibition rather than a competition...

despite another last assault in pure "Curatoli style", Italy at least won a good bronze medal (before the competition, I'd have taken that without any doubt, even if now it's quite a bitter result)...

in women's foil, Italy is really too strong in depth for all the opponents...the only team that could give us some trouble, Russia, today wasn't in good shape and didn't even reach the final...

the US girls, despite all the good press always surounding them, just disappeared against our champions (with 2 new faces -Volpi and, above all, Mancini- being active part of the team, which is also very encouraging for the future)...

tomorrow I guess we won't live another day like today, but I hope to see the men's epee team and the women's sabre team (who have a good draw until the semis) at least among the top 4...

here I am! :d

and wow! we start immediately with a couple of upsets...Russi and USA are out in the quarterfinals of the women's team sabre...

and France beat Ukraine, too (which wasn't that obvious)...

so, ITA vs FRA and KOR vs JPN are the girls' semis...

meanwhile the men's team epee quarterfinals are just underway: FRA vs EGY (the shocker of the day so far), RUS vs UKR (re-match of the recent european champs final), HUN vs EST and our little derby between "cousins", ITA vs SUI...

as expected, very tactical match between ITA and SUI...

and frankly, too many problems with the scoring machines for the organizers...this is not what you would expect from a world champ and from Germany...

p.s. how stupid is the rule that automatically close an assault if there are no hit for 60 seconds...

game over...usual Italian epee team...

frankly, I don't know how they won world and Olympic Silver medals 2 years in a row...

however, if they don't change their minds and their tactics, I guess they won't won anything anymore...awful fencing...really awful...:facepalm::wall:

so, we have FRA vs RUS and SUI vs HUN or EST in the men's epee semifinals...

Italy won 2 silver medals because in those tournament were better than the others and in general only France is for sure a better team, the other teams like Ukraine, Russia, Hungary, Korea and Switzerland are not better than Italy and sometimes you can win and sometimes you can lose, but it can' t be always a shame when an italian fencer lose for 1 ot 2 points.The only weapon where Italy is not very strong in this moment is women epee, in all the others Italy is one of the best.Also in women sabre Italy never had a strong team like this one.