website statistics

Biathlon 2017 - 2018 Discussion Thread

Xander

And Ricco Gross has left the Russian team, with OEB being named as a potential replacement (for the position of men's head coach) :lol:

Michael Greis is the new coach of the US team. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 minutes ago, Werloc said:

Olga Podchufarova is added to the list of retirees.

Estelle Mougel as well. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

• 2 weeks later...

@rybak I see Poland has a new women's head coach, which leads me to the question....where did Tobias Torgersen go? :yikes:

2 godziny temu, heywoodu napisał:

@rybak I see Poland has a new women's head coach, which leads me to the question....where did Tobias Torgersen go? :yikes:

I have no idea where he will be coach now, our federation decided fire him just after one season because he didn't reach results expected by the federation, especially during Olympics (at least one medal). Federation decided that Nadiya Bilova who will be "old" new coach will have to reach similar goals as Torgersen had to reach during all upcoming seasons until Beijing Games.

3 minutes ago, rybak said:

I have no idea where he will be coach now, our federation decided fire him just after one season because he didn't reach results expected by the federation, especially during Olympics (at least one medal). Federation decided that Nadiya Bilova who will be "old" new coach will have to reach similar goals as Torgersen had to reach during all upcoming seasons until Beijing Games.

How stupid from the federation :facepalm:

Firing a coach after one season because he didn't win a medal with a team with which a medal was possible, but definitely not even close to a certainty...Tobias deserved more trust. 

10 minut temu, heywoodu napisał:

How stupid from the federation :facepalm:

Firing a coach after one season because he didn't win a medal with a team with which a medal was possible, but definitely not even close to a certainty...Tobias deserved more trust. 

Yes, he deserved for more time to bring everything for good way again, as previous coach was fired beacuse of him some athletes refused to training together as he doesn't wanted understand what athletes need, by this for example Krystyna Guzik prepared to the season together with Austrian's women team and other athlete Paulina Bobak retired from sport at all because bad atmosphere...

And almost all Polish sport federations have "good experience" of firing coaches after one bad season or not reaching goal during big events, good example are last 10 years in men's volleyball team...

Edited by rybak

11 minutes ago, rybak said:

Yes, he deserved for more time to bring everything for good way again, as previous coach was fired beacuse of him some athletes refused to training together as he doesn't wanted understand what athletes need, by this for example Krystyna Guzik prepared to the season together with Austrian's women team and other athlete Paulina Bobak retired from sport at all because bad atmosphere...

And almost all Polish sport federations have "good experience" of firing coaches after one bad season or not reaching goal during big events, good example are last 10 years in men's volleyball team...

That might be not entirely his fault, to be fair. Because yes, he is indeed good at knowing what athletes need (we are seeing right now the successes of young Swedish athletes, which for a big part are thanks to him). Oh well, I hope he finds a new job on the same kind of level (I think the real top nations are too much this early in his career). 

6 minut temu, heywoodu napisał:

That might be not entirely his fault, to be fair. Because yes, he is indeed good at knowing what athletes need (we are seeing right now the successes of young Swedish athletes, which for a big part are thanks to him). Oh well, I hope he finds a new job on the same kind of level (I think the real top nations are too much this early in his career). 

But I meant about yet previous coach Adam Kołodziejczyk, he destroyed good atmosphere in the team (good atmosphere, friendly etc. was thanks to Bilova), was fired and then totally disappear from sport :d Torgersen had difficult task and it isn't strange that athletes didn't reach good results, especially when half of them was injured or sick by half of training period in summer, but federation belived in him, he didn't reach expectations as I said earlier and was fired too.