website statistics

Cross-Country Skiing 2017 - 2018 Discussion Thread

dcro

1 hour ago, dcro said:

Mourao won by convincing 25 seconds. I guess it's all over now? :(

Nothing is over :p 

CBDN (Brazilian federation) makes their own special ranking to determine who gets the one quota. What I mentioned earlier apparently wasn't right and it looks like this is correct:

- Average of the 5 best FIS points between 1 July 2016 and 22 January 2018, with some subcriteria;

- Maximum of two of those results coming in South America

- At least one of those results coming in the Northern Hemisphere

That is, if I'm translating correctly from the criteria, here. ( @vinipereira @thiago_simoes, am I correct?)

Mourão had no results in South America, so came to Chile to correct that. She's still rather far ahead in the rankings, but her points of today actually don't really make a significant difference (I'd say she has 80% chance to get the ticket, just like I thought before today).

The 25 seconds mean nothing by the way. There were two very hard downhills, on which Bruna fell all the time during training yesterday (they only got hard after the course was changed slightly yesterday). Today before the competition however, she worked hard on learning the 'drift technique' to get through the corners, and in qualifying...it worked! She was only 2 seconds behind Mourão then, but in the last (short, not hard) downhill there was a hole in the track and her ski got stuck, causing her to fall and lose 20-25 seconds.

The final was one big confidence boost, because even though Mourão eventually got the win by basically throwing herself down the downhills like a madman, Bruna for the first time ever saw that on the uphills and flat parts she was actually able to get the better of Mourão :)

And well, even if 2018 doesn't work out, that's all very promising for 2022, which after all was the first main goal when she started skiing. The fact that she's even in the running for the 2018 ticket is more than was expected when she was first standing on ski's, only three years ago. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Tomorrow's classic sprint is cancelled, half of today's participants won't start and 3 athletes just isn't enough. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

15 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Nothing is over :p 

CBDN (Brazilian federation) makes their own special ranking to determine who gets the one quota. What I mentioned earlier apparently wasn't right and it looks like this is correct:

- Average of the 5 best FIS points between 1 July 2016 and 22 January 2018, with some subcriteria;

- Maximum of two of those results coming in South America

- At least one of those results coming in the Northern Hemisphere

That is, if I'm translating correctly from the criteria, here. ( @vinipereira @thiago_simoes, am I correct?)

Mourão had no results in South America, so came to Chile to correct that. She's still rather far ahead in the rankings, but her points of today actually don't really make a significant difference (I'd say she has 80% chance to get the ticket, just like I thought before today).

The 25 seconds mean nothing by the way. There were two very hard downhills, on which Bruna fell all the time during training yesterday (they only got hard after the course was changed slightly yesterday). Today before the competition however, she worked hard on learning the 'drift technique' to get through the corners, and in qualifying...it worked! She was only 2 seconds behind Mourão then, but in the last (short, not hard) downhill there was a hole in the track and her ski got stuck, causing her to fall and lose 20-25 seconds.

The final was one big confidence boost, because even though Mourão eventually got the win by basically throwing herself down the downhills like a madman, Bruna for the first time ever saw that on the uphills and flat parts she was actually able to get the better of Mourão :)

And well, even if 2018 doesn't work out, that's all very promising for 2022, which after all was the first main goal when she started skiing. The fact that she's even in the running for the 2018 ticket is more than was expected when she was first standing on ski's, only three years ago. 

The rules say that any NOC with an athlete in the top 300 ranked list can enter an additional athlete. Jacqueline Mourao is 400, 10 FIS points behind 300. Doable? Does that mean if she makes it Bruna could get in?

54 minutes ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

The rules say that any NOC with an athlete in the top 300 ranked list can enter an additional athlete. Jacqueline Mourao is 400, 10 FIS points behind 300. Doable? Does that mean if she makes it Bruna could get in?

Only if she has less than 100 FIS points herself, if I finally understand @dcro correctly :p 

Which is not entirely impossible, but looking at the races she'll compete next season...pretty much unrealistic.

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Only if she has less than 100 FIS points herself, if I finally understand @dcro correctly :p 

Which is not entirely impossible, but looking at the races she'll compete next season...pretty much unrealistic.

Both of them under 100 FIS points, actually.

#banbestmen

20 minutes ago, dcro said:

Both of them under 100 FIS points, actually.

That's what I meant :d

Finally, I understand the rules!

14 minutes ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

Ah. That won't happen then.

Meaning the most realistic way for Bruna is by beating Mourão in the rankings. Not entirely impossible, but given Mourão's chances in competitions to score good points (especially North America, where she lives), that's going to be insanely tough. The FIS points system really is a shame, it says nothing about skiers qualities, since Bruna has already shown to be seriously close to Mourão by now and I honestly think in a straight up fight she could beat her (like the 5k free tomorrow in Termas de Chillan, but sadly Mourão is already on her way back to Canada so won't compete there).