website statistics

Ice Hockey 2017 - 2018 Discussion Thread

phelps

New Slovak coach arrived

Ramsay: “Want to move the team to a higher level”

image.jpeg

The Slovak national team has a new head coach. General manager Miroslav Satan introduced the new head coach Craig Ramsay at a press conference on Saturday.

For the Canadian and long-time NHL coach and player it will be the first job in Europe, but he is very excited about it he said one-and-a-half week after his hiring had become known. According to his words, he wants to improve the Slovak national team to be able to compete with the top teams in the world.

When he sat in front of the Slovak media for the first time, he introduced himself and explained what exactly his philosophy was going to be. His main focus is to move the Slovak national team to a higher level.

“What a wonderful opportunity for me to come here. I am excited for this challenge to work with Miroslav Satan and Vladimir Orszagh. Hopefully we can improve the level of play of the Slovak hockey team. I've been in the business for a little while. I have some ideas how I think we should play. We want to play with a lot of intensity and in order to do that we have to have short shifts. The players have to realize that they have to play hard and they have to compete and be willing to battle. Everybody should be excited to be a part of this program,” Ramsay said in his opening remarks.

This is going to be your first job in Europe. Have you consulted with other coaches you know who already had some experiences with coaching a European team?

Jeff Ward is one guy with whom I coached in Boston and I spoke with him about coaching in Europe, to see what I can expect a little bit. He thinks it would be a good fit the way I coached and what I want from players. The European players exactly understand what I want from them and have the commitment I expect from them. He thought that it would be a good fit and I would enjoy it. He is the guy that I really trust and so I talked to him about this.

Could you give some insight of your philosophy you want to bring to the Slovak national team?

First I want to see the players and see what they can do and what they do the best. My philosophy is as I´ve been saying all the time “safe is death”. I don't like to be safe, I don't like to be laying back and waiting for somebody to make a mistake. I believe in that. I expect everybody to be able to play defence, but I expect everybody to try and score a goal as well. Checkers have to learn to score and scorers must try to check. We will be all together and that´s my main simple philosophy.

Who else will be in your coaching staff?

We 'll sit down and discuss it.. Miro (Satan) had some ideas, but we are still considering some people that I know from the past and some who I don't know and Miro does. We have few days where we can talk where we want to go. I am just happy to have Vladimir Orszagh and Jan Lasak with me and we all going to work well together.

What made you decide to accept the offer coming from Slovakia?

It was pretty simple. Miro called me I think it was Friday and I had two days of golfing and I was feeling pretty good about everything and he surprised me. I didn't tell my wife until next day. When I told her she said we are going. So I was in. I talked to some friends Jeff Ward, Zdeno Chara and other guys to ask about the Slovak hockey where they thought the team was. They were all very excited about the possibility of me coming over and coaching. It didn't take me very long to really make up my mind after that. I tried to cover as many details as I could and I was really excited about doing something completely different for me.

There was no NHLer on this year’s World Championship roster. Are you going to change that in the future, try to phone them and see them?

I would hope that if they come up and they are available I would like to think they may want to come with Miro and myself. He would be more in touch with the NHL players, but I would like to think they would see what's being done here, the progress, and they would want to be involved. We see the growth of this young people and they become better players and I like them around of our hockey team.

Are you a strict coach or a more democratic one?

Democratic? Not so much. I am always willing to listen a little bit. I tell players what to do and they do it. I think it's important. I went through that in Boston with Zdeno Chara. When I first came there I was telling the defencemen to do something and they weren´t doing it. After that we had a nice short meeting and decided that from now on that doors were not open. I tell you what to do and you do it. After that I am a pretty easy guy to be along with. As long as you do what you are told, you can come and talk to me.

Will you stay here in Slovakia during the whole season?

I don´t think the first trip would be very long, but I told Miro that I am going to be available. The second time it would be probably two months I think. In the Christmas time I will have a little break then I will go back again. There is work to be done and I have to learn about the people so we are going to do some scouting and watch the players. I will be very much available, I don't look at it as a part-time job. I want to be a part of the learning curve of the team.

Was the offered salary part of your decision?

The salary was not a big deal. I didn't do it for the money. I did it because the people I knew and the opportunity to have impact on the team and the growth of the hockey here. I was lucky to meet few of the players while I worked in NHL so I am not here for the money.

Where do you see the Slovak national team in two years from now?

I would really like to see the Slovak team competing with the top teams. I always believe I can make a difference. With our staff we can help this team with ideas Miro already has. We can make players and the team better. But we can't do it tomorrow. It's going to take some time and we get young people and we can get them to understand the intensity and commitment to be part of this team. Then we can be better and we can be growing as an organization.

On 8/15/2017 at 20:52, phelps said:

1-I agree...playing a Memorial Tournament far away from the home of the people you're supposed to commemorate is just senseless...:facepalm:

but you know...nowadays is everything all only about money...and when we talk of hockey and money, North America is the place to be...:dunno:

2-aaagh!!!! :yikes:

that's very bad news for me (and not only for me, I guess)...

I hope they just make up their minds and take some money off for the KHL, too...

however, I haven't seen any more football on their schedule...it's still the same French and Itallian leagues and the German Cup + the European qualifiers to Russia 2018...so, the money should still be there...I keep my fingers crossed (and in the meantime I just set up my dish to perfection...just in case)...:fingers:

3-at least that...:d;)

Good news for you :d As I said, they avoided the riots and bought the rights :p

All 56 Slovan matches will be live on Sport 2 (with few exceptions) and all other top matches of the new season will be on Sport 1. In total they will broadcast 120 this seasons KHL regular season matches live. You can find the TV schedule of the first days in the bottom of this article https://sport.aktuality.sk/c/291559/slovan-zostava-i-nadalej-na-obrazovkach-sport-tv/

42 minutes ago, hckosice said:

Good news for you :d As I said, they avoided the riots and bought the rights :p

All 56 Slovan matches will be live on Sport 2 (with few exceptions) and all other top matches of the new season will be on Sport 1. In total they will broadcast 120 this seasons KHL regular season matches live. You can find the TV schedule of the first days in the bottom of this article https://sport.aktuality.sk/c/291559/slovan-zostava-i-nadalej-na-obrazovkach-sport-tv/

great news! :d

I read it this morning on Sport1/2 website (I check their schedule quite regularly)...

however, yesterday I saw the season opener on a satellite feed (with Russian commentary...which is more or less the same as Slovakian for me...I understand just names and numbers...and not always  :lol::facepalm:)...

not a great game, to be honest...the hype was a lot higher than the actual show on the ice...SKA was too strong and CSKA didn't even tried that hard to stop them...

now I'm on an other sat feed with Dinamo Riga playing in Omsk...it was close until a few moments ago, but then Avangard scored 3 goals early into the 3rd period, which should seal the victory for them (game's almost over)...

I hope to find at least 1 more sat feed later (normally there are more feeds of the games starting at 7.30 p.m. Moscow time...early games are rare exceptions...I don't know why?)...

in any case, I'm very happy for Sport 1/2 getting back to the usual business...:d

Friendly Matches

23rd August 2017

Mens

Czech Republic - Slovakia  0-2

Winning debut for the Canadian coach Craig Ramsey in his new office. Still a very very long road to go for our hockey, but we saw and felt today in the air that many things have already changed, we saw some new enthusiasm and clear will :yes

and it´s still great to beat the Czechs in hockey and in their soil...hopefully they will not do some reciprocity tomorrow during the 2nd game, this time in Žilina (SVK) :p

Friendly Matches

23rd August 2017

Mens

Slovakia - Czech Republic   1-2

and the reciprocity happened, but the Czechs were clearly better and much more motivated today

the video of todays match will be added later, so far the highlights of yesterdays match

SOUTHEAST ASIAN GAMES 2017

image.png 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Philippines win SEA Games gold

Host Malaysia gets bronze in historic event

image.jpeg

The first ice hockey tournament of the Southeast Asian Games ended with a surprise winner. The Philippines, who joined the IIHF just one year ago and had their international debut in February at the 2017 Asian Winter Games in Japan, beat Thailand 5-4 in the deciding game and dethroned the Thai as number-one ice hockey national team in the region. Host Malaysia won bronze.

The Philippines already had a convincing start half a year earlier in Sapporo where they lost the first game to Kyrgyzstan but then beat Qatar, Kuwait and Macau to finish the Division II tournament in third place.

In Kuala Lumpur the Filipinos played for the first time in an official competition against other nations from the Southeast Asian region. They started with an easy 12-0 win and four goals from captain John Steven Fuglister, who learned his hockey in Switzerland but moved to the country of his mother three years ago. He also shone in the second game with a hat trick in a 7-2 win over Singapore where Carl Michael Montano added two goals.

Things became tougher in their third game against host Malaysia in front of 3,102 fans who filled the brand-new Malaysia National Ice Skating Stadium. Montano gave the Philippines a 2-0 lead with his two markers but then Fuglister was assessed a major penalty for checking to the head and neck area. The Filipinos extended the lead to 5-1 until midway the game but Malaysia fought back. Chee Ming Bryan Lim, Ban Kin Loke and Mohd Hariz Mohd Oryza scored three unanswered goals before the end of the second period and captain Loke added two more goals to give Malaysia a 6-5 lead with just over five minutes remaining in regulation time.

The Philippines reacted with a pair of goals from Paul Gabriel Sanchez but with 62 seconds left Lim tied the game for Malaysia. After a scoreless overtime period a penalty-shot shootout had to decide. Sanchez and Montano succeeded with their attempts to win the shootout 2-1 and remain undefeated.

Thailand, until this week the undisputed number one from Southeast Asia in international ice hockey, was their opponent on the final day. The Thai even beat the other three opponents more convincingly. Six different scorers hit the back of the net in a 7-0 blanking of Singapore. In the 10-4 victory against the ambitious host Malaysia the first line shone scoring seven goals to come back from a 2-1 deficit. Thai-Japanese forward Hideki Nagayama, who from the Thai league moved to the Danish second-tier league via one year of junior hockey in Canada, scored four goals while team captain Tewin Chartsuwan had a hat trick. In the 12-0 blanking of Indonesia the second line was responsible for eight goals including a Phandaj Khuhakaew hat trick.

The start of the Philippines-Thailand game, which became a winner-takes-it-all clash for gold, was delayed by almost three hours after Philippines captain Fuglister was assessed a suspension following the incident the day before and the Philippines filed an appeal. It was to no avail so they had to battle against the Thai without their best scorer.

However, the Filipinos came out on fire. Thai captain Chartsuwan took a kneeing penalty after 16 seconds of play and Benjamin Jorge Imperial scored the power-play goal one-and-a-half minutes later. The Thai continued to be under pressure with penalty trouble and Sanchez added two more power-play markers for a 3-0 lead after 14 minutes of play. Francois Emmanuel Gautier capitalized on the first man advantage of the second period to give the Filipinos a four-goal lead.

That’s when the Thai found back to their A-game and played more disciplined. They eventually outshot the Philippines 44-26 throughout the game and started their comeback. Chanchieo Supadilokluk scored his team’s first goal 28 seconds later and Papan Thanakroekkiat added two power-play goals for Thailand including the 4-3 goal with one second left in the second period.

But the Filipinos avoided a meltdown with a stronger showing in the third period. Javier Alfonso Cadiz extended the lead to two goals with his marker at 10:59 of the third period but the Thai didn’t give up. Masato Kitayama, the other forward with Japanese roots, gave the team new hope with a power-play goal with 3:29 left in regulation time. The Thai pulled the goaltender but Gianpietro Iseppi in the Philippines net had a strong night and the 5-4 lead stayed with the final buzzer to give the Philippines gold in the first ever SEA Games ice hockey tournament.

Neighbours Malaysia and Singapore faced off for the bronze medal that also ended with a changing of the guard. Singapore had beaten Malaysia 5-4 in the last encounter in March at the 2017 IIHF Ice Hockey Challenge Cup of Asia in Bangkok and held a 2W-1T-1L record against the Malays. But in front of a record crowd of 4,024 fans Malaysia got its first win in an official game against Singapore since 2008.

In an opening frame with many chances and penalties on both sides Singapore opened the scoring with a power-play goal from James Nicholas Kodrowski at 6:56. The Malays reacted when two Singapore players sat in the sin bin. Mohd Hariz Mohd Oryza and Chee Ming Bryan Lim capitalized on the situation with two goals but with one second left in the period Kodrowski scored his second PP goal to tie the game at two.

The teams were more disciplined in the second period in which Lim scored the only goal midway the frame to give Malaysia its first lead. The host nation changed the game in their favour with five unanswered goals in the third period including a classic hat trick from Lim, who ended up scoring five goals in the game to lead Malaysia to the bronze medal. Singapore had to settle for fourth place getting its only points in a 6-1 victory against winless Indonesia.

The last game gave Lim the title of the top goal scorer of the tournament with nine goals (13 points) in four games. Philippine forward Sanchez was the top point scorer with 14 points (8+6). The Philippines also had the goalie with the best save percentage with Iseppi’s 91.67%.

For the Philippines the historic gold medal came two years before the country is scheduled as next host of the traditional multisport event that could give the region a boost in promoting the sport. Ice hockey was the first winter sport ever played at the SEA Games and with the tournament over figure skating and short-track speed skating events follow at the same full-size ice rink located in the Empire City mall outside Kuala Lumpur.

Result Thread Here

NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS

2017/2018

:NZL NEW ZEALAND :NZL

:champion: Southern Stampede :champion:

5th League Title

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A record night

Southern Stampede win 5th New Zealand title

image.jpeg

The helmets and sticks were thrown down on the ice, the players hugged each other and the capacity home crowd erupted in excitement as the Southern Stampede celebrated a record-breaking fifth win of the Birgel Cup.

It was the third successive win for the Stampede in the New Zealand Ice Hockey League when it beat the West Auckland Admirals 5-2 in a closely contested and physical second final at the Queenstown Ice Arena.

The Stampede beat a determined West Auckland Admirals 5-3 in the first final at Auckland and it was buoyed by home town fans to become the first team in the league to win five titles.

The New Zealand league started in 2005 and the Stampede moved ahead of the Botany Swarm and the Canterbury Red Devils that have both won four titles.

It was the third time the Admirals had reached the final after filling the same spot in 2005 and 2010.

It was a bruising and physical second final with both teams putting their bodies on the line. 26 penalties were awarded – 10 against the Stampede and 16 against the Admirals. The defence of both teams was strong and only two goals came during power plays.

Veteran Braden Lee was knocked to the ice and was assisted from the rink three minutes from the end.

The Stampede started aggressively and Colin McIntosh scored the first goal after just four minutes and Mitchell Frear pushed a loose puck into the net three minutes later to give the Stampede a 2-0 lead at the first break.

Captain Matt Schneider led by example and rammed home the Stampede’s advantage with two more goals in the second period.

The standout forward in the game was new Canadian import Colin McIntosh, who prepared Schneider’s second goal with a brilliant solo run down the right flank to give the Stampede a 4-0 cushion after the second period.

The Admirals were down but not out and came back into the picture when Hungarian import Adrian Toth scored in the first 40 seconds of the third period.

But it was too little and too late. Both teams traded goals in the last six minutes of the game.

The Stampede had a tight defence with Hayden Argyle, Bert Haines and Stephan Helmersson disrupting the talented Admirals forwards.

The team owned the win to the brilliance of goalie Aston Brookes, who played the game of his life as he stood up to some powerful shots by the Admirals forwards and brought off four top-draw saves. He conceded two goals from 27 shots.

The win was special for Bert Haines and Braden Lee, who have been key members of the Stampede team since the start of the league and have won a record five titles.

Defender Hayden Argyle, who joined Stampede last year after winning three titles with the Red Devils, also won his fifth league title.

It was a special for Haines and Lee, who remained loyal to the Stampede and waited nine years to win their third title in 2015.

“It was incredibly special for me,” Haines (36) said. “I never stopped believing. That’s why I keep showing up every day. There was quite a gap between the second and third championships but we always had the intention of winning again and the belief that we could do it.

“We have the right team now and are doing the right things to keep up the culture of winning.”

What is special about the Stampede?

“We are a total ice hockey community and have the backing of the whole town,” Haines said. “We have a family culture. It just feels good to be in the room with the other guys.”

Captain Matt Schneider (32) came to New Zealand in 2012 and the three Birgel Cup wins have been the highlight of his ice hockey career.

“We put together a team that could win again but it wasn’t easy,” he said. “But it was a lot better playing games that were close and competitive.”

The loss of Jade Portwood, who topped the league goal scoring with 25 goals last year, was a big blow at the start of the season.

“It left a hole and others had to chip in and make up the goal scoring,” Schneider said.

Schneider and McIntosh filled the breach to keep the Stampede on top.

McIntosh was the top goal scorer in this year’s league with 24 goals and Schneider was runner-up with 22 goals.

But the win rested on a strong defence that was the foundation of Stampede’s tactics.

“It’s such a short season and it’s tough to build systems and consistency,” Schneider said. “But there have not been many changes in our squad and we built on what we achieved in previous years.”

It meant a lot to the Stampede to win the third successive title.

“It was our goal from the start and anything less would have been disappointing,” Schneider said.

What has been the secret of the Stampede’s success?

“We have a family atmosphere and are very close off the ice,” Schneider said. “We have maintained a core of players over the last few years and hang out together outside the rink.

“All summer long we are always together and this camaraderie lets us go on to the ice and play for each other.”

For coach Adam Blanchette it was his third title in a row and gives him the credentials to become a future coach of the Ice Blacks.

“I’ve been fortunate to have a good team around me,” Blanchette said. “It makes the coaches job easier when you have the right guys on and off the ice. That's very important for developing a winning culture.”

Blanchette admits that it is important to recruit the right import players to win the New Zealand league. The Southern Stampede have been lucky to have overseas players who enjoy living in Queenstown and keep coming back. Some gain residency and a few become New Zealand citizens. Blanchette grew up in the United States and has the overseas contacts to recruit the best players.

Among these stalwarts are Ice Blacks captain Bert Haines, who has lived in Queenstown since the start of the national league, Stampede captain Schneider and Mike McRae. They have been key players for the Stampede in this year’s league.

Schneider was ranked fourth with 37 points on the scoring leaders table with 22 goals and 15 assists. He was the second-best goal scorer in the league.

McRae was seventh on the scoring leaders table with 26 points and ranked fourth with 22 assists. Haines used his vast experience at critical times and was a solid defender.

“It is not always about finding the best guy on paper but about finding the best fit for your team,” Blanchette said. “As a coach you have to do your best to research the right players.”

Blanchette believes that the import players have done an important job in lifting the standards of the New Zealand born players. He quoted the example of Callum Burns, who was a novice Queenstown player when he joined the Stampede squad.

“The imports help develop the local players,” Blanchette said. “When Callum first came into the squad he was barely scratching the line-up.

“We have given him the right type of knowledge and he’s grown on and off the ice and has played for the Ice Blacks.”

Blanchette makes it clear that he always wants to win but realizes that the best chance of achieving this goal is by making sure that the squad has fun when they are together.

“When you have a fun side in the team culture it makes it easier for the guys to buy in and have the motivation to get better,” he said.

An important key to the Stampede’s success over the last three years been the development of depth within the squad.

“It’s the first time I've seen teams in this league with four playable lines,” Blanchette said.

“Most teams have very good two lines but we’ve developed a nice mix of youth and experience and have had success with our third and fourth lines.”

The coach admits that he has developed a squad around the ability to play well in the small Queenstown rink.

“We are definitely a small ice team,” Blanchette said. “We like to be in the face of our opponents and take the game to them.”

It is the hard, physical North American style that Blanchette is used to.

“Most of our imports are from North America and have grown up with this style and we have had success with it,” he said.

Blanchette watches the North American Stanley Cup finals on television and noted that the winning team always puts a big emphasis on defence.

“I want the Stampede to take care of our end of the ice first,” he said. “We play from our net out.”

West Auckland Admirals

The West Auckland Admirals recruited well and had a squad that looked capable of winning the Birgel Cup for the first time.

They started the season in style by winning their first seven games. This included big wins against four-time champion Botany Swarm, 14-0, and last year’s runner-up Canterbury Red Devils, 16-2.

The first loss came in the eighth round-robin game when beaten by Southern Stampede 5-3.

They suffered injuries to key players – captain Justin Daigle (eye), Jacob Ratcliffe (ankle), Taylor Rooney (ACL joint) and Dylan Dickson (wrist) – after this and lost five of their last eight round robin games.

The most telling losses were Ratcliffe, who has played in the United States and was one of New Zealand’s rising stars at the World Championship tournaments, and Daigle.

“It was very hard to replace Justin as a player and captain,” coach Csaba Kercso-Magos said. “We had to readjust our lines. We just had to go with the fit players we had.”

The new imports dominated the scoring and played a key role for the Admirals in this year’s New Zealand Ice Hockey League.

Hungarian Adrian Toth topped the scoring leaders table with 55 points. He scored 21 goals and topped the table with 34 assists.

Toth (26) has played for three years in the Austrian-based EBEL for Hungarian club Fehervar AV19 and plans to return to DVTK Jegesmedvek Miskolc of the Hungarian league. He has played over 450 games at senior level and brought a lot of energy and knowledge to the Admirals team.

Sweden’s Henric Andersen was third in the scoring leaders table with 44 points. He scored 14 goals and was runner-up on the assist leaders board with 32 assists.

Andersen (26) played for the Swedish under-18 national team and later played in the second-highest league in Sweden and followed this up with three years in the top French league.

American Thomas Battani (28) played professional hockey in North America in the third-tier ECHL. He made his contribution to the Admirals season by finishing fifth on the scoring leaders table with 35 points. He scored 18 goals and had 17 assists.

Canadian Andrew Spiller (30), who now has New Zealand residency, had 19 assists and was fifth on the table. He was a strong defender and topped the defencemen’s scoring table with 24 points.

The talented Admirals squad included nine members of the New Zealand national team, the Ice Blacks, that finished runner-up to China at the 2017 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship Division II Group B in Auckland.

The best performers were Nick Henderson, who was ninth on the goal scoring list with 12 goals, Frazer Ellis who jumped up to nine goals when he scored two in the first final, and Jacob Ratcliffe, who made 12 assists.

Captain Justin Daigle was a strong defender and finished third on the defencemen's scoring list with 17 points before being sidelined with his eye injury.

The Admirals had two top goalies with veteran Ice Blacks defender Rick Parry finishing fifth on the list. He conceded 33 goals and had 234 saves. Goalie Csaba Kercso-Magos junior topped the table with a save percentage of 92.83 percent. He conceded 22 goals and made 277 saves. His father has been head coach for the last three years and has instilled Eastern European discipline into the team.

He was once selected for the Romanian national team in the mid-1970s but did not play because all games were cancelled because of an earthquake.

Kercso-Magos coached Admirals in 2006/07 for one year and came back as an assistant in 2014.

“I didn’t think we had a good enough team to be in the finals last year but this year we did,” he said. “We started our programme three years ago and I have seen an improvement this year. Our squad is larger and competition to get into the team is higher.

“The team now understands my rules and are following them. That is what is making us a strong team.”

Kercso-Magos comes from Romania and likes the European style of hockey. But his understanding of the game has changed since he has been in New Zealand.

“In the last 20 years world hockey has changed and has combined the physical element with being technical and practical as well,” he said. He has also noticed a significant change in the style played in the New Zealand league.

“When I arrived 10 years ago it was only physical,” he said. “It is still physical but you can see some great technical aspects as well. New Zealand ice hockey has come a long way in the last few years.”

Dunedin Thunder

The Dunedin Thunder did Otago provincial counterpart Southern Stampede a favour late in the round-robin programme when it beat the West Auckland Admirals twice in the double header at Auckland.

The Stampede and the Admirals were on level pegging for the top spot and it meant that the Stampede was given the home advantage for the best of three game finals.

The Thunder won the first game 3-2 – its third overtime win – and the next day took control from the start to win 5-1.

The Dunedin-based Thunder performed above its weight when it finished third in the league.

Captain Paris Heyd, who returned this year after 10 months in London, was the only member of the Thunder squad in this year’s Ice Blacks team.

The Thunder also had two members of the New Zealand under-20 team – Felipe Aguirre Landshoeft and Noah Leahy.

New coach Canadian Matt Hladun brought a positive attitude and team unity into the squad.

“There has been a bit of separation in our squad over the last few years but this year everyone was included in the group and on the same page,” Heyd said.

The younger players felt part of the squad, raised their standards, and four of them were rewarded by being named in the Ice Blacks for the first time.

Dylan Devlin, Tristan Darling, Daniel Lee and Kevin Jagau will play against Australia at the New Zealand Winter Games next month.

“We knew we had a young team and knew it would be difficult,” Heyd said. “But as the season went on we became more consistent and stepped up against the better teams.

“Some of the younger guys are now in their late teens and early twenties and displayed the maturity and experience we were looking for.”

The best of the younger players was Daniel Lee, who was the second ranked goalie in the competition with a save percentage of 91.07. He made 408 saves and conceded only 40 goals.

His best performance was against the Stampede at Dunedin when he made 50 saves in the 4-0 win against the league champions. Darling finished 15th on the leagues scoring chart with 17 points. He scored six goals and finished 15th on the chart with eleven assists.

The classy Heyd, the best-performing New Zealand born player in the league, finished sixth on the scoring leader table with 28 points. He was fifth-ranked with 15 goals and had 13 assists.

The best import was Oliver Easton from the United States, who ranked fifth in the table for defencemen scoring leaders with four goals and eight assists for 12 points.

The Thunder finished the season with two away wins against the Admirals and two big home wins against the Canterbury Red Devils 15-2 and 7-1.

Botany Swarm

The retirement of long-time coach Andreas Kaisser after 13 years meant a new start for the Botany Swarm that has been one of the top clubs in the NZIHL. Kaisser took the Botany Swarm to its four Birgel Cup wins from 2007 to 2011. He coached the team for 151 games and holds the New Zealand league record. He also had the most wins with 85.

His replacement was Frenchman Geoff Boehme, who has lived in New Zealand for a decade and was the assistant coach of the Botany Swarm for five years.

“I had big shoes to fill,” Boehme said. “Andreas had his own unique style and achieved a lot of success.”

Boehme uses a practical approach to his job.

“I’ve got to go with what I’ve got in the locker room and the strength and weaknesses of the players,” he said. “My style is to put as much responsibility on the players as I can. They are making the plays on the ice and should be empowered as much as possible.”

Boehme (44) was born in Colmar in the Alsace region of France and played hockey non-stop from the age of six to 18 before becoming a law student in Paris. He played regional hockey in France.

The Botany Swarm won five games, one of these in overtime, and beat all the other teams in the games played on a Sunday afternoon.

The most significant was in its last game when it beat the Admirals 5-4 in overtime. It drew level in the last second of regular time when United States import Alex Mitsionis scored. The winning goal came early in overtime.

Another important win came when the Storm rattled the Stampede’s cage with a 6-3 win at Auckland after losing 1-6 to the Southerners the previous day. It also beat Thunder 5-3.

Botany Swarm had 12 Ice Blacks and two New Zealand under-20 representatives in its squad.

One of the old hands to stand out was KC Ball (42), who made 11 assists and was ranked 14th. Alex Polosov made 10 assists and was ranked 17th. Mitsionis (21), the best performer on the team, was ranked eighth on the scoring table with 24 points. This included 15 goals with a rank of sixth. Another young import was German Maximilian Hadraschek, who scored five goals and was ranked 24th.

Canterbury Red Devils

It was a rebuilding year for the Canterbury Red Devils that had been one of the dominant teams in the New Zealand league for the last five years when it won three Birgel Cups and was runner-up in the previous two years.

“We have had 13 rookies in our squad over the last two years,” head coach Matthew Sandford said. “We lost six players from last year’s squad.”

The key losses were goaltender Michael Coleman and defencemen George Coslett and Josh Greenwood.

Add to that injuries and sickness to key players in this year’s squad. New Zealand under-20 representatives Shaun Brown (19) and Liam Dallimore missed eight games. The experienced Kim Jeong (27) injured his shoulder in a warm-up game and was out for the season.

“Our younger guys had to play more this year. It was a big step up for them,” Sandford said.

Ice Black Chris Eaden finished tenth on the scoring leaders table with 22 points. He scored 13 goals and was eighth on that list.

U.S. import Robert Banks was the best defender and was fourth on the defencemen's scoring stats with five goals and 12 assists. He was ninth in assist points.

Goaltender Damien King from Great Britain conceded 49 goals from 507 attempts and was ranked fourth with a percentage of 90.34.

First final:

The Southern Stampede know how to punish mistakes. They took advantage of the West Auckland Admirals lapses to take control of the first final at Auckland in a six-minute goal scoring blitz.

The Stampede scored two goals in the last 30 seconds of the second period to take the lead 2-1 and added another goal five minutes into period three before winning a tight game 5-3.

Strong defence and a cautious approach by both sides resulted in a scoreless first period.

The momentum was with the Admirals for 10 minutes in the middle of the second period when they applied pressure on the Stampede by using their top two lines. It was only good defence by experienced defenders Bert Haines and Hayden Argyle and goaltender Aston Brookes that kept them out.

Imports Henric Andersen, Adrian Toth and Thomas Battani were looking dangerous inside the blue line. Dale Harrop missed a sitter in front of the goal when the puck bounced over his stick.

The Admirals opened the scoring with five minutes of the spell left when Toth’s angled shot dribbled into the net off the pads of Brookes.

That goal woke up a Stampede team that had been looking lethargic and they came to life to score two goals in the last 30 seconds of the second period to take the initiative and lead 2-1.

Captain Matthew Schneider led by example and evened the score with a penalty and three seconds from the end of the period Canadian import Colin McIntosh sent a miracle pass between two defenders for Tomi Martikainen to score.

The Stampede rammed home their advantage after five minutes in the third period when Schneider scored his second goal to give Stampede a two-goal cushion.

The Stampede concentrated on defence after this and looked to have the game sewn up when Connor Harrison extended the margin to three shots with 5:31 left.

But the Admirals were not finished and peppered the Stampede goal with 15 shots in the third period. Frazer Ellis scored two goals in the last three minutes during power plays. The Stampede added a bonus goal in the last 30 seconds when Kyle Mulder scored after Admirals had pulled their goalie.

The Admirals failed to capitalize on its seven power-play opportunities compared to four by the Stampede.

Both goaltenders had strong games. Brookes conceded three goals and saved 33 and Admirals netminder Csaba Kercso-Magos let in four goals and stopped 30.

Final series:

First final: Southern Stampede 5 (Matthew Schneider 2, Connor Harrison, Kyle Mulder, Tomi Martikainen), West Auckland Admirals 3 (Frazer Ellis 2, Adrian Toth). Period scores (0-0, 2-1, 3-2).

Second final: Southern Stampede 5 (Colin McIntosh 2, Matthew Schneider 2, Mitchell Frear), West Auckland Admirals 2 (Adrian Toth, Andrew Spiller). Period scores (2-0, 2-0, 1-2).

Regular season standings:
1. Southern Stampede 39
2. West Auckland Admirals 32
3. Dunedin Thunder 24
4. Botany Swarm 16
5. Canterbury Red Devils 9

Scoring leaders: Adrian Toth (West Auckland Admirals) 55 points, Colin McIntosh (Southern Stampede) 55, Henric Andersen (West Auckland Admirals) 46, Matt Schneider (Southern Stampede) 37,Thomas Battani (West Auckland Admirals) 35, Paris Heyd (Dunedin Thunder) 28, Mike McRae (Southern Stampede) 26, Alex Mitsionis (Botany Swarm) 24, Andrew Spiller (West Auckland Admirals) 24, Chris Eaden (Canterbury Red Devils) 22.

Goal Scoring leaders: Colin McIntosh (Stampede) 24, Matt Schneider (Stampede) 22, Adrian Toth (Admirals) 21, Thomas Battani (Admirals) 18, Paris Heyd (Thunder) 15, Alex Mitsionis (Botany Swarm) 15, Henric Andersen (Admirals) 14, Chris Eaden (Red Devils) 13, Nicholas Henderson (Admirals) 12, Frazer Ellis (Admirals) 9, Braden Lee (Stampede) 8.

Assist leaders: Adrian Toth (Admirals) 34, Henric Andersen (Admirals) 32, Colin McIntosh (Stampede) 30, Mike McRae (Stampede) 22, Andrew Spiller (Admirals) 19, Thomas Battani (Admirals) 17, Jeremy Akeson (Stampede) 15, Matt Schneider (Stampede) 15, Robert Banks (Red Devils) 13, Paris Heyd (Thunder) 13.

Top Goaltenders: Csaba Kercso-Magos (Admirals) 22 goals, 277 saves, Daniel Lee (Thunder) 40, 408, Aston Brookes (Stampede) 44, 452, Damian King (Red Devils) 49, 458, Rick Parry (Admirals) 33, 234.

Best players selected by directorate: Goaltender: Csaba-Magos (West Auckland Admirals). Defenceman: Justin Daigle (West Auckland Admirals), Forward: Adrian Toth (West Auckland Admirals).

League MVP: Matt Schneider (Stampede).