website statistics

Athletics 2016 Discussion Thread

panda

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Wow, 500m would be a pretty big mistake :lol:

Irony?

The most likely thing is that something was wrong with the timing. The second most likely thing is that the course was too short. Everyone was about 2 min fast than expected. 20 km in 80 min (1:20.00) -> 500 m in 2 min, so i assume that the course was at least 500 m too short OR the timing didn't work.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

1 minute ago, OlympicsFan said:

Irony?

The most likely thing is that something was wrong with the timing. The second most likely thing is that the course was too short. Everyone was about 2 min fast than expected. 20 km in 80 min (1:20.00) -> 500 m in 2 min, so i assume that the course was at least 500 m too short OR the timing didn't work.

No irony, if they indeed came up with a course that was half a kilometer too short, that would be a huge mistake obviously. I mean, 50 meters...ok, but a half kilometer? :facepalm:

I guess indeed the timing is the most likely source of these weird times..

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

59 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

No irony, if they indeed came up with a course that was half a kilometer too short, that would be a huge mistake obviously. I mean, 50 meters...ok, but a half kilometer? :facepalm:

I guess indeed the timing is the most likely source of these weird times..

It happens more often than one might think. There have been many marathon/race walking competitions where the course was too short. Another explanation might be that it was just a very fast course, but thats not very likely. Last year the same competition was won by Link in a time of 1:20.37. Its interesting that two pretty famous athletes, Tysse and Campion both were rather slow today.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

44 minutes ago, EselTheDonkey said:

Linke, Pohle and Nils Brembach all fulfilled the German National Standards for Rio.

In addition to that Dohmann is already qualified for the 50 km race in Rio, so our team in race walking is complete before the season even started. In womens race walking no one will qualify.

:ITAMarathon of Roma 10/04/2016 :ITA

final results women

:ETHTusa Rahma:ETH

:ETHDuru Mulu Melka:ETH

:ALGDahmani Kenza:ALG

top 10

f082862573b1a6332e2a63e7b2391837.gif

time of qualification 2 h 45 min 0 s

so top 5 are qualified to rio

Edited by bestmen

3 hours ago, panda said:

Can somebody tell me, how USA choose olympic athletes? You must be in top 3 in USA Championships or not? 

Yes :yes  The event will be US Olympic 2016 team trials Track & Field at Eugene from 1st to 10th July

US trials rule:

The top three finishers in each event will be named to the Olympic team provided that each has, by the end of their event at trials, achieved the applicable qualifying standard

• 2 weeks later...