website statistics

Athletics 2016 Discussion Thread

panda

Apparently it was a pretty interesting meet, but no new insights for Rio.

The previous world record in womens 100m hurdles might have been suspicious, but a look at Harrison's arms tells the whole story, its impossible for a clean athlete to break a world record in athletics, thats a fact. She wasnt able to stand the pressure at the trials, so its unlikely that she wouldve been able to stand the pressure in Rio. Womens 100m hurdles gold seems to be pretty open, its always amazing to see how good Roleder is at major competitions and how weak she is at all other competitions.

Lavillenie is dominat as always, while all his competitors dont seem to be in a good shape. Lavillenie will be the huge favorite in Rio, Holzdeppe could win a medal without being at 100%.

GB might really challenge for bronze in womens 4x100m relay, Netherlands and Germany will try to stop them.

Level of competition in womens high jump and mens triple jump is extremely weak this year, very good news for Jungfleisch and Heß.

McBride and Hortelano are two very interesting cases, their progression seems to be too good to be true.

I think Muir might challenge Hassan for bronze in Rio. Hassan seems to improve very quick, so she should still be the favorite for bronze in Rio.

Vicaut still cant run fast outside of France. He might be the only european to make the final in Rio, but i dont think that he can fight for a medal.

Bolt is in a much better shape than last year, i really dont understand why some people thought that Gatlin might win mens 100/200m in Rio ... :mumble:

The british sprinters (Gemili, Hughes and Ujah) all have been pretty disappointing recently. Without Ennis-Hill, Rutherford and Farah it should be almost impossible for GB to win gold medals at 2020 olympics.

South Africa has suddenly become a powerhouse in track events, really interesting ... I am wondering why Brazil is so bad in track events, they should be much better.

Tomorrow there will be some very interesting competitions from a german perspective:

Womens pole vault: 4 medal contenders will compete, its gonna be interesting to see how strong they are at the moment. If at least 3 of them can jump at least 4.80m, than it should be almost impossible for Ryzih to challenge for a medal in Rio.

Womens 3000m SC: I think tomorrow might be the first time we see Ghribi this year, lets see if she will be able to run close to 9:10 or even faster.

Mens shot put: Storl will compete in the diamond league for the first time this year. I hope that he can stay close to Kovacs and maybe get a result of 21.50m or better, otherwise he will probably have no chance to fight for gold in Rio.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Haha, javelin throw is a freak show, lets see when the first of them will get busted. 

Junior championships are even more pointless than senior championships, with all the dopers and age cheats. All cheaters should get a lifelong ban and they should have to pay all their prize money back.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.