website statistics

Men's Ice Hockey World Cup of Hockey 2016

hckošice

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow! amazing performance by the European underdogs and well deserved success...

as I wrote in the past, I was one of the most scheptical about the presence of 2 "all-star teams" in this tournament, but they proved I was wrong, at least for what concerns their attitude on the ice and the results they got (especially the Europeans)...

now I'd really like them to spoil the Canadian party, but I guess it would stay as a dream and nothing else, since the hosts have been absolutely untouchable so far...

Quick question since I have no idea: how much does this tournament mean/how prestigious is it and how popular is it among ice hockey fans worldwide? Where would you rank it among available ice hockey prizes? (I know the Olympics are probably rated more important and I'm guessing the Stanley Cup is as well, but then?)

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Also, why does Team Europe play against European countries and Team North America against North American countries and so on? :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

26 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Also, why does Team Europe play against European countries and Team North America against North American countries and so on? :d 

Because the NHL decided to make two hybrid teams (to increase the competitiveness).

I don't think this tournament is prestigious, but I think the ratings must be good?

14 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Quick question since I have no idea: how much does this tournament mean/how prestigious is it and how popular is it among ice hockey fans worldwide? Where would you rank it among available ice hockey prizes? (I know the Olympics are probably rated more important and I'm guessing the Stanley Cup is as well, but then?)

13 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Very good questions :yes

1- The World Cup is the succesor of the legendary Canada Cup. Most arguably the most important and most prestigious Ice hockey international tournaments. The problem is that this tournament is a NHL/NHLPA tournament, while the traditional world championships tournaments are under the international federation IIHF. so it´s open for the top NHL players and the games are played under NHL rules (there many different rules between NHL and IIHF, btw to explain a bit for example the olympics are playing with the IIHF rules). Since NHL want to remain in their (NHL is the best etc...bubble) the tournament remains invitational for countries with the higher amount of players in the NHL. Thats the reason why some countries like SVK, SUI or GER unfortunately weren´t invited - there some rumors first to made such qualifications for the last 2 tickets, but mainly because of lack of time, the NHL lords decided to creat such mixed teams. Team Europe with the best european players from all other european countries behind the top 4 SWE, RUS, FIN and CZE, and the 8th a specis Team North America of Canadian and USA players under 24 years old.

It´s the first time they did it. You can see the previous winners in the first page.

2- I rank it very very high. For me Canada Cup and now World Cup was something like the top of the international Hockey. I am born in a country where the biggest majority of kids have one dream. to play the NHL and win the Stanley Cup. because only the best of the best play in this league, so if you have those players and put them under their national teams you automatically have the best of the best international tournaments. so for me World Cup is the 1st place in international matches tournament. The olympics are extremey prestigious too and I personally rank them plus/minus in the same level. The world champs are for me the number 3.

3- Team Europe is from countries which have not so many "top" players in the NHL that they can´t be invited with a full team, so thats why some slovaks, germans, Danes, Swiss, Slovenian, French, Norwegian and Austrian play against SWE, RUS, FIN and CZE. And team North Americs is a team of the top under 24 years players from Canada and USA from NHL, thats why they play against "normal" CAN and USA team

Thanks for the informative and big answer :d

Its actually a lot more prestigious than I thought..