website statistics

Cross-Country Skiing at the FIS Nordic Skiing World Championships 2017

heywoodu

Looks like we are having a rather large team, nice! Malec and Dadić are prequalified while 4 more athletes will compete tomorrow. I'm pretty confident that Gabrijela Skender will qualify. She is one of those rare skiers whose classic technique is MUCH better than the free. Crnković is a biathlete while Marko Skender is quite young but talented, they should be some kind of "wild cards" for tomorrow. Hladika on the other hand is chanceless for top 10...

On the sideline, I'm hoping that :LBN Lebanon can get inside these 300 FIS points. :cheer: They had some nice performances at their first WCh in 2015 so let's hope they improved.

#banbestmen

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slightly annoying that there are two former Ukrainians (both biathletes) competing for Moldova here without FIS points and so in the need to qualify, taking up two spots...

Anyhow, I just finished going through the women's start list in detail to see how Bruna's chances are for tomorrow where she needs to beat 23 athletes.

Basically I got to these numbers:

As good as impossible to beat without these athletes falling: 7 (including Skender for @dcro :p )

Anywhere from 'very hard but possible to beat' to 'there might be a decent chance to beat them': 5 

Should be possible under normal circumstances: 11

Bruna should beat them when not having a fall or something: 9

Which makes for 20 athletes that she should normally be able to beat....3 more needed, this is gonna be a lot closer than I expected (in a good sense :p ). 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

29 minutes ago, hckosice said:

Yes and I forgot to clarify the qualifications rules. 

the systems explanations under 9.1.1.1 in page 11 http://www.fis-ski.com/mm/Document/documentlibrary/MajorEvents/05/55/15/WSCRules2016Eclean19122016_English.pdf

So to sum up for the women's 5k tomorrow:

The top-10 goes to the 10k IF they have less than 180 FIS points in tomorrow's race? So if for example the athlete in 8th position gets 185 points tomorrow, only the top-7 will go to the main race? 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Damn it, the start list has been updated with two Mongolian women, both of whom are normally out of reach for Bruna....chances went from 'definitely possible with a very good race' to 'incredibly hard' because of this addition.. 

11 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

The top-10 goes to the 10k IF they have less than 180 FIS points in tomorrow's race? So if for example the athlete in 8th position gets 185 points tomorrow, only the top-7 will go to the main race? 

I don't think that's how it works, I mean it would be stupid.

In 2015 only top 2 female athletes were under 180 points :wacko: Anyhow, all of the top 10 were allowed to start later.

#banbestmen

26 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

don´t know buddy, hopefully no, but who know, it´s clearly written

under the condition that they have achieved less than 180 FIS points (including the penalty) for the ladies and 140 FIS points for the men.

but well, you know how the FIS qualifications are incredibly hard to understand, just look the alpine skiing world championships GS and Slalom qualifications, no one knew who is qualified untill the final race start list were released :d

43 minutes ago, hckosice said:

don´t know buddy, hopefully no, but who know, it´s clearly written

but well, you know how the FIS qualifications are incredibly hard to understand, just look the alpine skiing world championships GS and Slalom qualifications, no one knew who is qualified untill the final race start list were released :d

True :d

I'm so nervous and excited about this competition, I can't wait for it to be tomorrow :lol:

On 20/2/2017 at 20:45, heywoodu said:

This is on the door of the changing room used by the Brazilian women, a list of nations who share that changing room....but apparently it's the exact same list as on the men's changing room, so I guess this doesn't mean Tonga, Trinidad & Tobago, Ecuador etc will have a woman competing :p 

a84d575fa6.jpg

I know Chile is represented by a woman (Claudia Salcedo), from Venezuela and Ecuador I'm only expecting guys and about Colombia....no idea. 

Denmark doesn't have a woman competing.