website statistics

Swimming at the Aquatics FINA World Championships 2017

dareza

18 minutos atrás, thiago_simoes disse:

Brazilian TV has just informed that 17 countries sent a letter to FINA (it is unclear if it was a joint letter or if each country sent a letter of their own) demanding Brazil to be banned from the World Championships before the competition started. I found nothing about it online. Does anybody know if this is really true?

Not countries, federations. Brazil has 27 state federations, 17 of which were apparently against the elections in CBDA. That's why Brazil was at risk of competing under FINA's flag (there's an article about the matter in Swim Vortex).

Agora, vinipereira disse:

Not countries, federations. Brazil has 27 state federations, 17 of which were apparently against the elections in CBDA. That's why Brazil was at risk of competing under FINA's flag (there's an article about the matter in Swim Vortex).

So it was something within Brazil itself? Wow. Just goes on to show how dirty things still are around here. What a shame. I thought the whole thing was about 17 other national federations, not state federations. Nice to know I was wrong. Thanks, Vini. 

7 minutos atrás, thiago_simoes disse:

So it was something within Brazil itself? Wow. Just goes on to show how dirty things still are around here. What a shame. I thought the whole thing was about 17 other national federations, not state federations. Nice to know I was wrong. Thanks, Vini. 

Yes, it was something within Brazil, but I'm so used to these cases of corruptions at the federations, that honestly I don't even pay much attention anymore.

Thankfully, the new president of CBDA seems to be taking our sport on the right path...

Spoiler

...I hope :p

2 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

What the hell? France got six gold medals! Sure, they were far from great in the pool, but the championships was nearly perfect for them otherwise: first ever medal in diving (and a gold one), four gold medals in open water swimming, they advanced to the finals in 4 of their 5 attempted routines in synchronized swimming, and the women's team advanced to playoffs in water polo. Not bad at all. 

i mean for swimming in pool only, not the other events.

Yes, our "golden generation" is gone, now we're really bad (except for Mehdy Metella who looks promising, I hope :fingers:) I don't even think that we have good young swimmers right now who could be the next generation... If we get the OG in 2024 I hope it will galvanize our federation (and some others) like it did for GB for London 2012.

I didn't expect to be this sad to see Camille Lacourt retire :( I'm so happy that he won a gold medal for his last race, a great way to "say goodbye" to swimming :) 

Congrats to our local here Farida osman for her outstanding performance in women's 50m butterfly setting world's 8th fastest time ever and 5 new AF in this tournament , but she also could have done much better results especially in 100m butterfly , but anyway her bronze medal was just a dream that came true , for Egyptian swimming it's been a satisfied wch with 5 top10 finishes , but many question marks are on Ahmed Akram performance , all his junior fellows who he topped in YOG and 2015 wch where he finished 4th made such big results here winning silver in men's 800m and silver in men's 1500m , but his level is declining and that was pretty sure in Rio , anyway i'm not waiting for big results to come , as long as these swimmers are 100 % self made with assistant from their American universities , there's no aid from federation or government , no participations in WCs , swimmer like Ahmed Akram didn't take part in any tournament since march when he won bronze medal at 1650 yards in NCAA 2017 getting under American record set by Conor Jaeger