website statistics

Summer Olympic Games 2024 & 2028 Bid Process

mrv86

1 hour ago, Dmitry said:

It wasn`t official. Just an information in the media. IOC never said: "we are going to use bids for 2024 and for 2028. Please, tell us if you want to be in the fight for 2028".

And the other thing: cities still have time for doing a decision about running for 2028. Not after yesterday IOC decision of course.

Opposite, this decision made exactly behind close door.

Idea has been in the open since last year. It goes without saying that everyone who opposes it can step forward (and still could, actually, but nobody did)... They have discussed it publicly numerous times.

Norway pulled out from 2022 bidding late in the process, even though they were huge favorites. It would have been stupid to let that happen again because obviously hosting Olympics is not very popular at this point. As Dragon said, after 2024/28 the door could open for some very new host, especially if Paris/LA (both cities very capable of doing it right) bring back the faith in hosting.

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Dolby said:

And I am not seeing any opposition to this proposal from them. So, lets chill and enjoy 2 Olympics in cities which can host a grand event. 

Yeah, it's funny how there are people protesting the decision and yet no city is doing that. :d

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

I like the idea that the Summer Olympics would have a 12 year schedule.

1st Olympics could go to North or South America

2nd Olympics to Europe or Africa

3rd Olympics to Asia or Australia.

Then back to #1 again

6 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

I remember that some country from the Middle East wanted to host the Olympics. Maybe it was Qatar. I cannot really remember now. I can only imagine how upsetting it is for a country which wants to host the Olympics to be sidelined by the IOC, while LA and Paris both get the green light in suspicious circumstances. It's like the IOC is sending a clear message to the Middle East (and probably Africa as well): you guys are not hosting the Olympics anytime soon.

Qatar has bigger problems than not being able to host the Olympics at the moment :d The only city which could properly host the Olympics from that region is Dubai and they do not seem to be intrested in doing so...

5 hours ago, Dolby said:

Here is a thought: If some country feels that it wanted to bid for 2028 games and is being cheated, say it out loud. 

Fact is there is not a big line of eligible cities who are interested in hosting Olympics. In Asia, big 3 (China/Japan/South Korea) already are hosting Olympics in near future. Rest (India, Indonesia, Malaysia and Middle East) have question marks on ability to host and/or are not interested. Same with Africa, South America and Eastern Europe. Australia has already said not interested. In Western Europe, German and Italian cities have potential to host but there is little public support for potential bids. So, that leaves the loser (US/France) of 2024, Spain, Canada and Mexico as only potential bids. And I am not seeing any opposition to this proposal from them. So, lets chill and enjoy 2 Olympics in cities which can host a grand event. 

Toronto forgo 2024 to bid for 2028 (at least that was the plan). As someone from the city it is frustrating but at the same time if you snooze you lose.

9 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

I remember that some country from the Middle East wanted to host the Olympics. Maybe it was Qatar. I cannot really remember now. I can only imagine how upsetting it is for a country which wants to host the Olympics to be sidelined by the IOC, while LA and Paris both get the green light in suspicious circumstances. It's like the IOC is sending a clear message to the Middle East (and probably Africa as well): you guys are not hosting the Olympics anytime soon.

There are so many reasons why Qatar shouldn't host, and it never made the shortlist (ie doesn't meet the standards)... so I don't see the IOC gravitating to them.

Em 7/12/2017 at 11:43, intoronto disse:

There are so many reasons why Qatar shouldn't host, and it never made the shortlist (ie doesn't meet the standards)... so I don't see the IOC gravitating to them.

Yes, I can understand why Qatar will not host the Olympics anytime soon. But it's time for the IOC to promote big changes, or we will see Qatar rising as a potential host if no other place wants to host the Games. I believe Azerbaijan would go crazy if they had a real shot of hosting the Olympics (they have the money, for sure), and I guess the members of the IOC probably see Azerbaijan as a less awkward host, but you never know. 

Edited by thiago_simoes

I think people are finally realizing what a huge negative economic impact the Olys have on the hosting city and country. It honestly should be restricted to a few cities every 4 years like 1 from each continent. There's just so many white elephant stadiums that are being built for the games and aren't even used again. Time for the IOC to get their head out of the sand.

4 hours ago, Joshi said:

I think people are finally realizing what a huge negative economic impact the Olys have on the hosting city and country. It honestly should be restricted to a few cities every 4 years like 1 from each continent. There's just so many white elephant stadiums that are being built for the games and aren't even used again. 

That's the fault of the organizers, not necessarily the Olympics. It's perfectly possible to have Olympics that are very much economically feasible, but you need organizers with some balls to go for some real innovation (in the way things are organized, built, used etc), instead of the 55647th set of organizers who want to make everything bigger, better, brighter and faster. 

Maybe a smaller city would be an ideal start in showing that it in fact does not necessarily have to have a negative economic impact, so people's negativity can rightfully be turned around. 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Il y a 1 heure , heywoodu a déclaré:

instead of the 55647th set of organizers who want to make everything bigger, better, brighter and faster. 

I think we 've allready passed that. London didn't end with any white elephant (I think ?). Neither Paris or LA plan to buid munch outside of temporary venues. Sochi has been the majour outliner in recent history. But I think, overall, organizers tend to be more modest with their constructions plans..

Building costs are only a fraction of the overall costs anyway.