website statistics

Athletics IAAF Under 18 World Championships 2017

Werloc

I have never seen an athletics event with such an amazing atmosphere as these world championships by the way. Tens of thousands of indescribably enthousiastic fans jumping and dancing in the stands, making the entire stadium shake on it's foundations.....absolutely incredible :bowdown:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Am 16.7.2017 um 16:58 schrieb heywoodu:

I have never seen an athletics event with such an amazing atmosphere as these world championships by the way. Tens of thousands of indescribably enthousiastic fans jumping and dancing in the stands, making the entire stadium shake on it's foundations.....absolutely incredible :bowdown:

I agree, but ...

a) Keep in mind that entry was free from day 2 onwards. On day 1 the tickets werent free and the stadium was almost completely empty.

b) I get why they discontinue this event. Just look at the athletes in mens 3000 m for example, there is no way that any of them is even under 20.

I think this might have been a test by IAAF, to see whether Kenya is ready to host bigger events. Next would probably be 2020 U20 world championships and then senior world championships a couple of years later. Kenyan officials are very aggressively going for it, as you could for example see at the opening press conference with Sebastian Coe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t98xRKyouUc

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

2 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

I agree, but ...

a) Keep in mind that entry was free from day 2 onwards. On day 1 the tickets werent free and the stadium was almost completely empty.

b) I get why they discontinue this event. Just look at the athletes in mens 3000 m for example, there is no way that any of them is even under 20.

I think this might have been a test by IAAF, to see whether Kenya is ready to host bigger events. Next would probably be 2020 U20 world championships and then senior world championships a couple of years later. Kenyan officials are very aggressively going for it, as you could for example see at the opening press conference with Sebastian Coe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t98xRKyouUc

I would add also c) I've watched very few moments of this event, but I was really impressed by most of the female athletes from some Countries (Kenia more than any other)...for instance, were Kenia's girls in the 800m (who of course dominated the event by miles over the opposition) really "girls"??? and I could go on for a good while with some more examples...:mumble::facepalm:

vor 1 Stunde schrieb phelps:

I would add also c) I've watched very few moments of this event, but I was really impressed by most of the female athletes from some Countries (Kenia more than any other)...for instance, were Kenia's girls in the 800m (who of course dominated the event by miles over the opposition) really "girls"??? and I could go on for a good while with some more examples...:mumble::facepalm:

You are talking about Jackline Wambui ... ?

https://www.iaaf.org/news/report/world-u18-nairobi-2017-girls-800m

I understand that it would make sense to have only continental u18 championships, that way age cheats can compete againt each other, while real kids can compete against other real kids, but ... wouldnt that mean that U20 world championships also have to go, as well as youth olympics (in athletics)?

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

4 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

You are talking about Jackline Wambui ... ?

https://www.iaaf.org/news/report/world-u18-nairobi-2017-girls-800m

I understand that it would make sense to have only continental u18 championships, that way age cheats can compete againt each other, while real kids can compete against other real kids, but ... wouldnt that mean that U20 world championships also have to go, as well as youth olympics (in athletics)?

sure, but not only her...I mean, in that race both Kenian girls to me looked more like boys (and I'm not making any stupid irony about them being beautiful or not...I really see their somatic traits/facial features more as male ones rather than female)...

for what concerns the age of the boys/girls...well, we all know that many 3rd world countries do not have proper registration of births (and we also know that many of those countries use that thing to their advantage in many sport events)...so, I guess it's a very complicated question...

I don't think that all youth competitions should be cancelled, but probably they should get less consideration and they shouldn't cost nor generate so much money and interest in the media...