website statistics

Athletics IAAF Under 18 World Championships 2017

Werloc

Amazing atmosphere! The crowd goes insane for womens 1500 m final.

You absolutely cant compare it to any other international competition, maybe except for olympics, i really like Kenya as a host.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

vor 15 Minuten schrieb Werloc:

Yeah, exactly, I agree with you completely. The atmosphere is very friendly, everyone making friends, plus it's a huge boost for the youngsters to work harder towards something. Plus so many good results, as you mentioned earlier the high jump, as well as the triple jumper. Really disappointing this is the last one, we have very good talent born in the 2003, but seeing as U18 is limited to 2002 for next year, that means they get their first championship in 3 years.

That is very unfortunate. The german girl in womens 200 m for example got lucky, she was born December 28th 2001, so she just made the cut, the same is true for the czech girl who won the 400 m, she was born December 30th 2001. Personally i think its a stupid rule, if they are fast enough, they should compete. I would only make an exemption in the throwing events (except for javelin throw), just like in weightlifting for example, so that those kids dont start lifting heavy weights at a very young age. But what is the harm of allowing a 13 or 14 year old to run the 100 m? 

If you were born December 31 2002, you will be allowed to compete at the european u18 championships and the youth olympics, but if you were born one day later, you have to wait 2 years ... what a nonsense ... they should at least split those 2 events: youth olympics in 2018 and u18 european championships in 2019, that way those talents can peak at both.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Well, this championship is over for us, again pretty devastated that it's the last one, but I'd say our team overall did pretty great.

Sure, a pretty lack luster performance from our high jumper and race walker.

First of all, an amazing medal in heptathlon by Bačianskaitė (the last time Lithuania won a medal in U18 WCH was 2007 by our famous discus thrower Andrius Gudžius) and a 5th place by Juškevičiūtė. These girls continued to prove that they're the real deal and hopefully they'll continue getting better together and pushing each other to greater results, especially since they're very close skill wise.

Another amazing achievement is from Gabija Galvydytė, whom had a qualification in 400m./800m. and 400m. Hurdles. Last year in U18 ECH 800m. she didn't make the semi-final, this year she focused on other disciplines and took out nearly two seconds from her 400m. Hurdles PB (which I saw her running a couple of weeks ago) and placed 4th, showing that she is a great talent and one to look out for the future.

And lastly, I am fairly happy with the 7th place from our Decathlete, a final from Survilas in 800m. and a semi-final from Šaltenytė in 800m.

Seeing our team on paper before these championships, I'd rate our performance a solid 8.5/10

Good luck to the delegations on the final day tomorrow :)

Edited by Werloc

Can anyone find a video of the girls 400m hurdles final? I've been trying and trying but all I found was one geoblocked video :(

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

one of our race walker was disqualified because he stepped on the starting line at the start :facepalm:and they disqualified him only after the race, so they let him to compete all 10km and then in the finish they said him he was disqualified because stepping on the starting line...

our team protested after the race but without success http://www.atletikasvk.sk/Articles/Detail?ArticleId=6556

39 minutes ago, hckosice said:

one of our race walker was disqualified because he stepped on the starting line at the start :facepalm:and they disqualified him only after the race, so they let him to compete all 10km and then in the finish they said him he was disqualified because stepping on the starting line...

our team protested after the race but without success http://www.atletikasvk.sk/Articles/Detail?ArticleId=6556

He was disqualified for rule 163.3 b - infringement of the inside border of the track...nothing related to the start line.

Mixed 4x400, can't they just keep that at World Relays and the occassional smaller meet, for fun, instead of at events like this? :(

Spoiler

Yeah, and it's at the Olympics. Meh. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!