website statistics

Taekwondo WTF World Championships 2017

MHSN

5 hours ago, heywoodu said:

About Beigi: I thought I remembered there was something about the Iranian federation treating him bad or something, or at least some reason to go to Azerbaijan apart from just money, like too strong competition at home (I'm not sure, I thought I read it here on Totallympics but of course correct me if I'm wrong)

I'm curious why he's considered a traitor, since I guess simply switching nationality doesn't automatically make someone a traitor depending on the circumstances.

I just watched the finals now and annoyingly, the entire 2nd round (where pretty much all action happened) of Beigi's final is just not in the video, like it's removed :mad:

Well, winning silver while being out of training since Rio....I'm fairly sure that's an impressive result. I'm not a fan of Gbagbi, she seems so emotionless, even when she won gold she just walked around without even a tiny smile on her face :(

actually yes and no, they did nothing wrong to him, he left because of strong competition at home, back in 2015 Mehdi Khodabakhshi was dominating the world in this weight, Beigi once beat him in a league match and that drew attention of Azeri scouts ! but he lost the national trials to Khodabakhshi in a close match and missed his chance, Khodabakhshi went to win the world title dominating the competition. of course who can blame the federation for not picking Beigi over the world #1 ?!

he was considered a great talent, he could make the national team the next year but he didn't want to wait a year or something, I only blame our federation/coach for not trying him at 87kg, changing weight is not a big deal in this sport (unlike Judo and Wrestling for example)

I'm OK with someone like Asemani , she is living in Belgium, this is her right. (even though I was happy when our girl kicked her out of the competition here) but Beigi is still living in Iran, he is just competing for them , few more other Iranians joined him in Azerbaijan team, they won several medals for that country but I don't care about them , because nobody wanted them in Iran. but that's not the case for Beigi, he raised in Iran, in Iran taekwondo school, he still has Iranian coaches there, he was sponsored by the Iran TKD federation reaching this place and now he is winning those medals (he should win for Iran) for another country. and actually he beat our gold medal hope in Rio eliminating him, (the same guy Khodabakhshi) yeah Iran don't pay as much as Azerbaijan but there are other side benefits when you win medal for your own country.

3 minutes ago, MHSN said:

actually yes and no, they did nothing wrong to him, he left because of strong competition at home, back in 2015 Mehdi Khodabakhshi was dominating the world in this weight, Beigi once beat him in a league match and that drew attention of Azeri scouts ! but he lost the national trials to Khodabakhshi in a close match and missed his chance, Khodabakhshi went to win the world title dominating the competition. of course who can blame the federation for not picking Beigi over the world #1 ?!

he was considered a great talent, he could make the national team the next year but he didn't want to wait a year or something, I only blame our federation/coach for not trying him at 87kg, changing weight is not a big deal in this sport (unlike Judo and Wrestling for example)

I'm OK with someone like Asemani , she is living in Belgium, this is her right. (even though I was happy when our girl kicked her out of the competition here) but Beigi is still living in Iran, he is just competing for them , few more other Iranians joined him in Azerbaijan team, they won several medals for that country but I don't care about them , because nobody wanted them in Iran. but that's not the case for Beigi, he raised in Iran, in Iran taekwondo school, he still has Iranian coaches there, he was sponsored by the Iran TKD federation reaching this place and now he is winning those medals (he should win for Iran) for another country. and actually he beat our gold medal hope in Rio eliminating him, (the same guy Khodabakhshi) yeah Iran don't pay as much as Azerbaijan but there are other side benefits when you win medal for your own country.

Ah yeah, reading this brings back the memories of when you explained this over a year ago :p 

I remember it was sort of a big deal when he beat Khodabakhshi in Rio..(and I remember bookmakers hugely underestimated him, giving him odds of 50+ which unfortunately were only usable for people with physical access to a betting shop in the UK :d )

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 hours ago, DaniSRB said:

@MHSN, I have a question :d

i noticed Kimia has female coach, is it possible that men coach women? Or coach for women has to be women?

no that's not possible specially in contact sports like this. in Iran men's team and women's team always train separately with two different coach/program/etc.

I know in some sports like Rowing, Canoeing , Shooting and etc they use male coaches for the women's team but in other sports they usually use male coaches as some kind of advisor since our female coaches are usually not that experienced. women's sport is pretty new in Iran, it will take years to train and teach female coaches. actually this is hard to find good female coaches around the world ! it was always hard for the Iranian federations to find a qualify female coach, most countries use men for their women's teams !

btw that woman is also Kimia's childhood coach. they are very connected.

8 hours ago, MHSN said:

no that's not possible specially in contact sports like this. in Iran men's team and women's team always train separately with two different coach/program/etc.

I know in some sports like Rowing, Canoeing , Shooting and etc they use male coaches for the women's team but in other sports they usually use male coaches as some kind of advisor since our female coaches are usually not that experienced. women's sport is pretty new in Iran, it will take years to train and teach female coaches. actually this is hard to find good female coaches around the world ! it was always hard for the Iranian federations to find a qualify female coach, most countries use men for their women's teams !

btw that woman is also Kimia's childhood coach. they are very connected.

so it's also impossible in contact sports that father be coach?