website statistics

Taekwondo Qualification for Summer Olympic Games 2016

MantaRaymarc

Meanwhile, well done :SOM:HON:HAI:NEP

It's pretty much nothing what we expected. :d And this is great for Somalia. They made their Olympic debut in 1972, but athletics is the only sport so far in which they competed!

#banbestmen

Somalia is the bigger shocker (you could at least sort of defend the others), it was a very competitive weightclass. Even if it had to be an African athlete did Central African Republic, Benin, Madagascar, Congo DR, Togo, Sao Tome and Principe, Sudan, Swaziland or Lesotho not apply? Especially Central African Republic which was one win away from qualifying.

20 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Somalia is the bigger shocker (you could at least sort of defend the others), it was a very competitive weightclass. Even if it had to be an African athlete did Central African Republic, Benin, Madagascar, Congo DR, Togo, Sao Tome and Principe, Sudan, Swaziland or Lesotho not apply? Especially Central African Republic which was one win away from qualifying.

Well perhaps the fact that they never competed outside of athletics helped (Saint Kitts and Nevis is the only other such country, even Mauritania is not on that list). Plus, this is certainly the only sport they applied for so it was on top of their priority list.

Meanwhile, I'm actually happy that Macedonia didn't get it. Their girl may be the highest ranked, but their girl is actually Croatian who switched to Macedonia because she can't make our team. It would be very wrong if wild cards are given to athletes like her.

#banbestmen

52 minutes ago, dcro said:

Well perhaps the fact that they never competed outside of athletics helped (Saint Kitts and Nevis is the only other such country, even Mauritania is not on that list). Plus, this is certainly the only sport they applied for so it was on top of their priority list.

Meanwhile, I'm actually happy that Macedonia didn't get it. Their girl may be the highest ranked, but their girl is actually Croatian who switched to Macedonia because she can't make our team. It would be very wrong if wild cards are given to athletes like her.

True, plus the tripartite commission looks at all sports at the same time. I wish the commission would publish the list of nations which applied to each sport. It would be interesting to see which nations applied

1 hour ago, JoshMartini007 said:

True, plus the tripartite commission looks at all sports at the same time. I wish the commission would publish the list of nations which applied to each sport. It would be interesting to see which nations applied

They are really secretive about this. Thought Agenda 2020 was going to have transparency, but I guess not.

WTF probably thinks Afghanistan doesn't deserve any help because of their cheating few years ago, Afghanistan used some overaged athletes in Youth competitions which easily detected by WTF and some of those guys got banned

they gave a Wild Card to Afghanistan back in 2008 even when they qualified one athlete by merit.