website statistics

Taekwondo Qualification for Summer Olympic Games 2016

MantaRaymarc

what?:lol: I don´t think it´s possible. I´m almost sure that a athlete can´t represent at OG another country, if he/she did qualified under another NOC

meanwhile I´ll not change anything in the team size or in this thread untill it will not be official

48 minutes ago, MHSN said:

Is this official ? and confirmed by WTF ?

Not confirmed by WTF yet, I'm relying on Belgian media in this case :p 

The only facts we can be absolutely sure about are these:

- She qualified a quota place, but did so under the refugee flag

- She is now a Belgian citizen with a Belgian passport

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

I've sent emails to the Flemish and Belgian taekwondo federations, the Flemish "sports federation" and the Belgian Olympic Committee. However, they probably won't think "OMG IT'S HEYWOODU ASKING US QUESTIONS!!" so I doubt I'll get any answer :lol:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, heywoodu said:

Not confirmed by WTF yet, I'm relying on Belgian media in this case :p 

The only facts we can be absolutely sure about are these:

- She qualified a quota place, but did so under the refugee flag

- She is now a Belgian citizen

OK then, I don't take local medal serious in this case, she won the quota for her NOC (which was refugee team at the time) per WTF rules, NOC qualifies not the athlete himself. it will be a big shame if they let him compete under Belgium flag.

2 minutes ago, MHSN said:

OK then, I don't take local medal serious in this case, she won the quota for her NOC (which was refugee team at the time) per WTF rules, NOC qualifies not the athlete himself. it will be a big shame if they let him compete under Belgium flag.

Her :p

But yes, I agree with you and I think everyone does. I would have less of an issue with it if Indra Craen didn't compete in the OQT and Asemani would be the only Belgian or almost Belgian or semi-Belgian, but now Belgium had two athletes and that's not fair. 

About Asemani: the Flanders Sports assocation surprisingly replied my email and said that there is no doubt about her participation in future European and World Championships (for Belgium), but as far as they know, there is no official decision on her going to the Olympics for Belgium yet. 

I would be surprised if Belgium is given the quota. The IOC made a big deal about the refugee team and she's pretty much going to be the most talented athlete on the team. If worse comes to worst they'll send another refugee athlete in her place.

5 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

I would be surprised if Belgium is given the quota. The IOC made a big deal about the refugee team and she's pretty much going to be the most talented athlete on the team. If worse comes to worst they'll send another refugee athlete in her place.

and she is not even refugee, just didn't get Belgium passport on time

27 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

No, she was a refugee at one point, she was in the middle of getting her citizenship done though.

Exactly. The whole point of "is she a refugee?" is irrelevant in this situation, she was a refugee. The whole issue is the Belgium quota thing and I think that's going to cost her a place at the Olympics (because now that she's Belgian, I doubt IOC has grounds to let her compete in the Refugee Team?).