website statistics

Summer Non-Olympic Sports Discussion Thread

Bearas

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

"President Moustafa informed the Council about the IHF’s plans to launch snow handball which shall have a big potential to join the Winter Olympic Games. He reported that the IHF Executive Committee, in its meeting in Kumamoto, Japan on 10 December 2019, agreed to assign the promotion of snow handball and the elaboration of the related Rules of the Game to the IHF Beach Handball Working Group due to the fact that snow handball is similar to beach handball. The Rules of the Game for snow handball shall be presented to the IHF Council in its next meeting."

The IOC needs to put their foot in the snow, and tell these federations off. We don’t need summer sports in the Winter Olympics. I like the concept of the World Beach Games/World Urban Games, focus your shity ideas on that.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

3 hours ago, intoronto said:

"President Moustafa informed the Council about the IHF’s plans to launch snow handball which shall have a big potential to join the Winter Olympic Games. He reported that the IHF Executive Committee, in its meeting in Kumamoto, Japan on 10 December 2019, agreed to assign the promotion of snow handball and the elaboration of the related Rules of the Game to the IHF Beach Handball Working Group due to the fact that snow handball is similar to beach handball. The Rules of the Game for snow handball shall be presented to the IHF Council in its next meeting."

That would be a nice inclusion. 

3 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

The IOC needs to put their foot in the snow, and tell these federations off. We don’t need summer sports in the Winter Olympics. I like the concept of the World Beach Games/World Urban Games, focus your shity ideas on that.

I can see these games coming to the Winter Olympics maybe a decade or so... Maybe that can earn the interest of more nations and consequently more money.. I'd anytime prefer these sports rather that telemark skiing and all which is like beating around the bush. 

14 minutes ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

I can see these games coming to the Winter Olympics maybe a decade or so... Maybe that can earn the interest of more nations and consequently more money.. I'd anytime prefer these sports rather that telemark skiing and all which is like beating around the bush. 

The point of the Winter Games was to give true winter sports an event of their own though. These new “sports” might improve the universality of the Winter Olympics, but they could very well kill all the true winter sports, which is not acceptable in my opinion.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

The point of the Winter Games was to give true winter sports an event of their own though. These new “sports” might improve the universality of the Winter Olympics, but they could very well kill all the true winter sports, which is not acceptable in my opinion.

As long as the games get a bigger audience and the established sports are not removed it is completely fine to add them .