website statistics

Islamic Solidarity Games 2017

bestmen

14 hours ago, MHSN said:

At the end of wrestling competition Iran won only 5 gold medals, not a great result but still OK , the level of wrestling competition was very high here, for example our 86kg wrestler (who is an Olympic Champion himself) had to beat an Olympic gold medalist and an Olympic silver medalist to win the gold medal !

24 gold medals so far, I guess Iran will finish on something like 35. only 2 days left but I think Iran will dominate Wushu and Zurkhaneh events. not our A team in Wushu here but I guess even this team is good enough to win most of the gold medals.

I assume nobody here knows anything about this sport of "Zurkhaneh" :d this is a traditional Iranian sport, very boring ! :wacko: actually the original sport was much more boring but they made it a bit westernized. Iran will win all gold medals here unless they want to let other countries win something intentionally just to help promoting the sport in the world.

Firstly, it'd be helpful to know what is what. I just know that meels are the big clubs and that there's also "shield lifting".

But yeah, it's like sailing. It'd be more interesting to actually do it but very boring to watch on TV. :d 

And Azerbaijan won one of the golds which is probably why this sport had a chance to be contested in the first place. :d

Stopped watching sports, there are better things in life.

14 hours ago, MHSN said:

I assume nobody here knows anything about this sport of "Zurkhaneh" :d this is a traditional Iranian sport, very boring ! :wacko: actually the original sport was much more boring but they made it a bit westernized. Iran will win all gold medals here unless they want to let other countries win something intentionally just to help promoting the sport in the world.

I knew this when I watched Chinese TV which happened to broadcast about survivor of Bam earthquake about 3 weeks ago.

And I also watched in Azerbaijani TV 3 days before ISG started when looking for potential streaming website :d

What I'm interested is the difference of each event.. All I know is swinging the baseball bat looking club in certain movements. (which was the only thing shown on the 2 broadcasts)

4 hours ago, Griff88 said:

I knew this when I watched Chinese TV which happened to broadcast about survivor of Bam earthquake about 3 weeks ago.

And I also watched in Azerbaijani TV 3 days before ISG started when looking for potential streaming website :d

What I'm interested is the difference of each event.. All I know is swinging the baseball bat looking club in certain movements. (which was the only thing shown on the 2 broadcasts)

yeah their events are completely different. Charkhe Tiz and Charkhe Chamani are a bit similar , they are both whirling. that baseball bat is "Mil/Meel" and there are two events with that Meelbazi and Meel Sangin, the first one is more acrobatic while the other one is about lifting very heavy Mils. Sang is sheild lifting and Kabbadeh is "chain and bow.

speaking of live stream, I didn't watch almost nothing in first days but later Iranian channels started broadcast few events live (mostly wrestling and taekwondo) and there were also live stream for Idman channel which is broadcasting the event live for the entire day.

6 hours ago, Quasit said:

Firstly, it'd be helpful to know what is what. I just know that meels are the big clubs and that there's also "shield lifting".

But yeah, it's like sailing. It'd be more interesting to actually do it but very boring to watch on TV. :d 

And Azerbaijan won one of the golds which is probably why this sport had a chance to be contested in the first place. :d

I wrote a bit about them in my previous post, I think the official website will upload few videos about individual events tomorrow . and yes you are exactly right, this sport wasn't supposed to be like this, this is the root of wrestling in Iran, most of our top wrestlers 40-50 years ago came from Zurkhaneh but not anymore. the new generation doesn't feel connected with this. this wasn't a competitive sport, when they created the international federation they started creating a scoring system.

if you look at the scores, the Iranians usually won the gold medals with scores more than twice the second placed athlete/team except this event, I have a feeling they wanted to give a gold medal intentionally.

but no surprise Azerbaijan is also good in this sport, there are strong cultural tires between two countries , actually Azerbaijan used to be a part of Iran long time ago.

Iran won 7 gold medals in penultimate day , 5 in Zurkhaneh , and one in Diving and Volleyball ! the level of diving competition was really low, Iran won 3 of 4 men's gold medals ! Malaysia could dominate the diving competition for sure but I wonder who is next after them ?!

winning the gold medal in volleyball was very interesting, they beat the senior A team of Azerbaijan with naturalized players 3-0 in the final. Iran also won the gold medals in this sport in previous editions but this time with a very young and Under 21 team.

with only 11 finals left for tomorrow , Iran will be in 8 of them, 2 in table tennis and 6 in Wushu. which means we will finish the compettion with 98 medals. not bad, not great. I will write a detailed summary about every single sports in Iran national thread later after the competition.

I watched all Wushu semifinals today, each country could enter 6 athletes in 7 weights and all of 6 Iranians are in the final, none of them lost a single round so far. Iran is probably one of the few countries in the world with a separate "Wushu federation:" and the sport is very developed here. no surprise even our B/C team still easily dominates the event. Iranian top athletes are preparing for the Universiade and World Championshps later this year.

The last day was just perfect for Iran, winning all 8 available gold medals. Iran completely dominated Wushu by winning all available golds, all of them easily without losing a single point.

but the most impressive result  was in table tennis, Iran won both team golds, men's gold medal was predictable but women's gold medal was probably the most surprising medal for Iran here in these Games. they beat Turkey and Azerbaijan here, Turkey is ranked much higher than Iran and Azerbaijan had 3 Chinese players.

Iran won 39 gold medals here. I guess the result was OK in general. Turkey and Azerbaijan were much more prepared for the event. only in Tennis Iran participated but failed to win a single medal.

Iran has won 39 gold medals , here is the list (men + women)

Taekwondo 3 (2+1)

Shooting 4 (1+3)

Wushu 6 (6+0)

Judo 1 (1+0)

Wrestling 5 (5+0)

Table Tennis 3 (2+1)

Zurkhaneh 6 (6+0)

Karate 2 (1+1)

Weightlifting 2 (2+0)

Diving 3 (3+0)

Volleyball 1 (1+0)

Paralympic Athletics 3 (3+0)