website statistics

Table Tennis Qualification for Summer Olympic Games 2016

MantaRaymarc

16 hours ago, MHSN said:

It seems India already qualified 1 male and 1 female player for Rio !

here is the start list for the Asian Qualifiers

http://ittf.com/Ol_Qual/2016AS/2016_AQT_Entries.pdf

per rules, in first stage we will have separate tournaments for each zone and the winner qualifies for Rio, India is the only country registered from South Asia, so it will be a competition between those 4 Indian players in each gender.

Personally I think this sub quota system for Asia  is fairly ridiculous ...especially as East Asia has China / Japan / South Korea / North Korea all seem to fall in one group ... that is like saying USA/ Jamaica / Trinidad/ Bahamas / Rest of Caribbean is one group and only one 100 metre athlete will selected...... while the other group comprises Peru/ Colombia / chile and one 100 meter athlete will be selected from them .............. 

The regions are so different it is funny ..........................................  read the lists of each table tennis players  from each group here 

then check the ranking here ............................ 

http://www.ittf.com/ittf_ranking/

I think they should take at least the top 16 from the world championships first , then get into continental selections without sub groups .............

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

Biggest news from today's draws in Latin American tournament was Brazil being at risk of not qualifying to the men's team competition afte Gustavo Tsuboi was defeated in 7 sets by Marcos Madrid... It was a very exciting match to watch, especially because Madrid was 1-3 down and then recover and played to his best, finally earning a spot in the Olympics after two unsuccesful attempts. I almost cry along him and his family.  The other winner of the dayw as Brian Afanador, who defeated Lamadrid from Chile, in what was another match of bad luck for the hosts.

Tomorrow Tsuboi will have a huge pressure to achieve the ticket and avoid just giving the spot to the Cubans, who qualified two players in Day One... given his form this past days is certainly no easy job, especially because he has Alto and Gilabert in the way, and either Miño or Lamadrid in the final game.

In women's, Brazil got the two spots thanks to Caroline Kumahara and Li Guin. Once again, Yadira Silva fell short in the last match, but she and Gremlis Arvelo are the top seeds in tomorrow's draw.

On 2016-04-02 at 1:27 AM, nitinsanker said:

Personally I think this sub quota system for Asia  is fairly ridiculous ...especially as East Asia has China / Japan / South Korea / North Korea all seem to fall in one group ... that is like saying USA/ Jamaica / Trinidad/ Bahamas / Rest of Caribbean is one group and only one 100 metre athlete will selected...... while the other group comprises Peru/ Colombia / chile and one 100 meter athlete will be selected from them .............. 

The regions are so different it is funny ..........................................  read the lists of each table tennis players  from each group here 

then check the ranking here ............................ 

http://www.ittf.com/ittf_ranking/

I think they should take at least the top 16 from the world championships first , then get into continental selections without sub groups .............

I think Asia is quite smart with this format. They give other regions which are far weaker a chance to qualify and in the end it doesn't matter too much for Asia because the top athletes from East Asia will qualify from the world rankings. In fact the nations which will lose out are the ones which will qualify at the tail end of the world rankings which will be most likely European nations (though Thailand may get unlucky).

Sadly, Chinese player who was bought by Qatar will spoil (or rather destroy) the West Asian qualifying tournament. Don't see how Kuwait or Jordan could have any chance (and these two would probably be the favourites with fair play conditions ;)).

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

Tsuboi is not 100% physically, but I still get angry with his defeats. The confederation has given him the chance to be the only one Brazilian in the tournament. And with his ample favoritism, left out of individual in Olympics will be a shame :facepalm:

36 minutes ago, hukbrazil said:

Tsuboi is not 100% physically, but I still get angry with his defeats. The confederation has given him the chance to be the only one Brazilian in the tournament. And with his ample favoritism, left out of individual in Olympics will be a shame :facepalm:

Even if he misses out today he still has a good chance at qualifying through the world rankings. Assuming no major upsets in the Asian and European qualifiers he is currently on the inside.