website statistics

Winter Universiade 2017

hckošice

9 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

I’m pretty sure the teams are here through invitation. College teams are also a bit different so using the world ranking is a bit unfair. At the last Winter Universidad the US women’s team failed to reach the semi-final. An unthinkable feat had it been their true team.

The Americans and Canadians are always a little bit weird in Universiades. I mean, they've probably got the best students in the world in some sports, yet in smaller sports like cross-country they don't even come close to dreaming of a podium (while their senior athletes are at least 'good'). I remember a few years ago they sent a Division III college volleyball team to represent them...they got absolutely hammered in basically every match (which the bookmakers were to late to realize, which is why I remember it :evil:). 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

The Americans and Canadians are always a little bit weird in Universiades. I mean, they've probably got the best students in the world in some sports, yet in smaller sports like cross-country they don't even come close to dreaming of a podium (while their senior athletes are at least 'good'). I remember a few years ago they sent a Division III college volleyball team to represent them...they got absolutely hammered in basically every match (which the bookmakers were to late to realize, which is why I remember it :evil:). 

I noticed that too. :d For example at the latest Winter Universiade in 2015, USA's men's relay team in cross-country finished behind Mongolia!

#banbestmen

Just now, dcro said:

I noticed that too. :d For example at the latest Winter Universiade in 2015, USA's men's relay team in cross-country finished behind Mongolia!

Yep :d 

The American and Canadian women's cross-country teams for Almaty are just....weak as well. I mean, some of them don't even have any FIS results ever, or one of them only has three results during a week in 2015 in New Zealand..Others are many minutes behind in national FIS races and barely get under 250 FIS points. Same thing for the South Korean team by the way, some of them finished 5+ minutes behind the winner in a national 5-10km race. At least one of the Chinese women has had a somewhat decent finish in a national event, but again, most of them barely even compete and definitely not outside China (unless it's the one who did compete outside China in her career....at the previous Universiade). 

The names I got so far for the women's cross-country btw (I'm collecting them for obvious reasons, so why not share them :p ):

Bruna Moura BRA
Emma Camicioli CAN
Shelby Dickey CAN
Christel Pichard-Jolicoeur CAN
Andrée-Anne Théberge CAN
Kyla Vanderzwet CAN
Kunduz Abdykadyrova KGZ
Jogscha Abderhalden SUI
Anja Ilic SRB
Bae Min-ju KOR
Kim Bo-ra KOR
Kim Eun-ji KOR
Lee Ji-yun KOR
Yoo Dan-bi KOR
Helen Cutting USA
Sierra Foster USA
Sierra Jech USA
Meghan Kent USA
Emma Malmquist USA
Adrienne Sulser USA
Yara Thomas USA
Zhang Xue CHN
Wu Aiting CHN
Li Lei CHN
Zhao Yuan CHN

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

The names I got so far for the women's cross-country btw (I'm collecting them for obvious reasons, so why not share them :p ):

Nice. :d I remember :KGZ Abdykadyrova's incident from this video.

Don't think that Brazilians should worry about her. :p

#banbestmen

5 minutes ago, dcro said:

Nice. :d I remember :KGZ Abdykadyrova's incident from this video.

Don't think that Brazilians should worry about her. :p

Nope, when I saw her name my first thought was "Cool, if Bruna doesn't do anything weird, she definitely won't finish last" :d 

By the way:

5ddb73cbd1.jpg

If I didn't actually see that this was Abdykadyrova, I would absolutely swear this is Gabi's rifle! (not Koukalova, but Almeira Neres) Interesting to see this pattern on someone else's rifle :p 

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Maybe something like what Madagascar was planning, but probably has to forget now. 

Madagascar has an athlete at least.

Its bizarre that just a delegation is being sent to the Universiade from a country (Gambia) with no winter sport tradition

Just now, intoronto said:

Madagascar has an athlete at least.

Its bizarre that just a delegation is being sent to the Universiade from a country (Gambia) with no winter sport tradition

Well, it may help organize something, who knows. At least the few officials who are going there will get some hands-on experience with some of the winter sports and I wouldn't be surprised if the Universiade has some things like lectures and stuff about organizing sports in a nation. A start has to be made somewhere for these nations, and if you don't have athletes, this is better than nothing :)

I don't know how it works for every country, but it looks like Eurosport is going to show a lot of cross-country, biathlon and alpine skiing live :cheer:

27 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I don't know how it works for every country, but it looks like Eurosport is going to show a lot of cross-country, biathlon and alpine skiing live :cheer:

FISU tv will apparently live stream everything. :woot:

http://www.livefisu.tv/

#banbestmen

:SVK TEAM SLOVAKIA :SVK

42 Athletes (34 M + 8 W)

6 Sports

Ice Hockey   23 + 0

Biathlon  3 + 3

Cross-Country Skiing  2 + 2

Snowboarding  1 + 0

Alpine Skiing   3 + 2

Figure Skating  2 + 1