website statistics

Boxing Qualification for Summer Olympic Games 2016

MantaRaymarc

12 hours ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Correct. So there isn't really a fair way to do this. Also Morocco is the only nation majorly benefiting from the current format as all of the other African/American nations have not qualified more than 5 men/2 women (~50%, like in taekwondo). Seems like a lot of work just to lower quotas for one nation (maybe there might be a couple more for Europe/Asia)

Algeria has qualified 7 Boxers,all Men(more than what Morocco has qualified in the Men's category).

Only natural,as Algeria is considered as the number One and the power house of the continent in Men's Boxing.

Edited by Grego

10 hours ago, Vojthas said:

Do you know where can I find the today's results of finals and box-offs from African OQT?

You'll find them on AIBA's official site.

Edited by Grego

4 hours ago, Grego said:

Algeria has qualified 7 Boxers,all Men(more than what Morocco has qualified in the Men's category).

Only natural,as Algeria is considered as the number One and the power house of the continent in Men's Boxing.

We were talking only about the continental qualifiers, Algeria qualified two out of those seven men in other categories.

I decided to do a comparison between this format and the 2012 format. As a reminder the continental qualifiers gave Africa 50 spots (+2 tripartites) to be used across the 10 men's events (some events got 6, others 5 and others 2), for every athlete qualified in the respective event from a different event one less would go to the continental qualifier. Algeria qualified two athletes outside of the continental route therefore Africa had 48 quotas. For 2016 Africa received 30 quotas, 3 per event.

13 different nations qualified here while 19 qualified during the 2012 qualifiers. If you adjust for the quota difference 16 would have qualified assuming everything was equal. Uganda and Lesotho qualified athletes after failing to qualify in 2012 while Ghana (4) and Gabon (2) were the nations which qualified multiple athletes in 2012 yet failed to qualify in 2016. One thing that surprised me is that I thought the top nations would retain their quotas better while the lower nations would suffer from the lower quotas for the continent, but after adjustment the only top nation which did better was Algeria (qualified 5, 2012 adjusted was 4) while Morocco, Cameroon and Egypt stayed the same.

Draws are out for Asian Boxing Qualification tourney. you can find them on ASBC facebook account.

none of our boxers will face Kazakhstan or Uzbekistan before the semifinal which means they can't complain ! but since the whole team is in terrible situation I will be happy with two quotas. best chances are in 75, +91.and maybe 91.

3 hours ago, MHSN said:

Draws are out for Asian Boxing Qualification tourney. you can find them on ASBC facebook account.

none of our boxers will face Kazakhstan or Uzbekistan before the semifinal which means they can't complain ! but since the whole team is in terrible situation I will be happy with two quotas. best chances are in 75, +91.and maybe 91.

Kindly post the FB link for easier access. Thanks!