website statistics

Boxing Qualification for Summer Olympic Games 2016

MantaRaymarc

14 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

I disagree, why should an athlete be not only the best at their event for their nation, but be better than someone in a different event? It opens up corruption (how can you measure whether someone is better in the light flyweight vs. the bantamweight?), weakens the overall field and could shrink the interest of the sport in some nations.

There should be some objective ways for deciding that. If someone wins qualification tournament that should be more valuable then qualifying through box-off.

Morocco qualifies 9 boxers this time. Out of 8 boxers that they had in London, 7 (!) of them went out in round one. I really don't see the point in that. It's going to be something similar in Rio probably.

#banbestmen

And why you care? it's not like boxing has few quota compared to many other sports. 22-28 per category and there are many chances to qualify, global and continental. If a country cannot even qualify 1 with these favorable conditions, then there's nothing to do. They should wait for a tripartite then.

6 minutes ago, dcro said:

There should be some objective ways for deciding that. If someone wins qualification tournament that should be more valuable then qualifying through box-off.

Morocco qualifies 9 boxers this time. Out of 8 boxers that they had in London, 7 (!) of them went out in round one. I really don't see the point in that. It's going to be something similar in Rio probably.

If you allow all of them to participate in the qualification tournament then you won't get an idea on who actually deserves to go. Weren't we complaining about South Africa competing here despite knowing full well they wouldn't compete in the Olympics? At least in taekwondo only two athletes compete in the qualification tournament.

Edited by JoshMartini007

19 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

If you allow all of them to participate in the qualification tournament then you won't get an idea on who actually deserves to go. Weren't we complaining about South Africa competing here despite knowing full well they wouldn't compete in the Olympics? At least in taekwondo only two athletes compete in the qualification tournament.

Well, there can be equally as much corruption regardless of wheter the athletes are selected before or after qualification tournament.

As for South Africa, I wouldn't be surprised if some appeals about their selection systems emerge. Obviously there is no point in appealing about selection criteria if you haven't qualified in first place.

#banbestmen

2 minutes ago, dcro said:

Well, there can be equally as much corruption regardless of wheter the athletes are selected before or after qualification tournament.

As for South Africa, I wouldn't be surprised if some appeals about their selection systems emerge. Obviously there is no point in appealing about selection criteria if you haven't qualified in first place.

Correct. So there isn't really a fair way to do this. Also Morocco is the only nation majorly benefiting from the current format as all of the other African/American nations have not qualified more than 5 men/2 women (~50%, like in taekwondo). Seems like a lot of work just to lower quotas for one nation (maybe there might be a couple more for Europe/Asia)

24 minutes ago, LDOG said:

American qualifier is over, 5 quota for us. Good job.

I came here to say the same, general good performance and its possible to have another in the rest tournaments (Blanc is clearly who has best chances for me), its a shame what happen with Espindola.......the next week we will increase the argentinian delegation with rowing, is in 181, 19 more and it will be the biggest argentinian delegation of the history.