website statistics

Basketball 2017 Discussion Thread

Yannakis

Draw Results for FIBA AmericaCup 2017

IMO:

Group A is open, but Puerto Rico will have an advantage over the other teams; sadly Brazil is currently suspended from participation, so another South American team will take its place, probably Paraguay.

In Group B, Argentina is already qualified for the final phase, so the other ticket shall be between Canada and defending champion Venezuela; it all will depend on Canada's roster.

Finally, tough luck for the other teams in Group C, as USA is the clear favorite to advance to next phase, but again, only if they send a solid "B" team.

Edit: It seems likely that FIBA Americas will readmit Brazil, thus allowing them to compete in Group A, in which case, they could win it.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 21/4/2017 at 05:08, mrv86 said:

IMO:

Group A is open, but Puerto Rico will have an advantage over the other teams; sadly Brazil is currently suspended from participation, so another South American team will take its place, probably Paraguay.

In Group B, Argentina is already qualified for the final phase, so the other ticket shall be between Canada and defending champion Venezuela; it all will depend on Canada's roster.

Finally, tough luck for the other teams in Group C, as USA is the clear favorite to advance to next phase, but again, only if they send a solid "B" team.

Edit: It seems likely that FIBA Americas will readmit Brazil, thus allowing them to compete in Group A, in which case, they could win it.

i also wonder what kind of team USA will present

On 4/21/2017 at 06:38, mrv86 said:

IMO:

Why they are using such a weird system this year ? was it hard for them to find a host for a 16-team tournament ?  or maybe they were just bored of having a decent tournament and they came up with such stupid/strange idea.

2 hours ago, MHSN said:

Why they are using such a weird system this year ? was it hard for them to find a host for a 16-team tournament ?  or maybe they were just bored of having a decent tournament and they came up with such stupid/strange idea.

I guess because they could not a single country willing to host the tournament by itself... I mean sure it means some heavy expenses, but I guess in a country like Argentina, Puerto Rico or Mexico they will have enough revenue from sponsors, TV rights and ticket sales.

I agree with you this system is stupid and unfair, specially because Argentina has a wild card to the semis, even if they team perform terrible in the preliminaries (which I hope won't happen but you never know); plus this tournament is also supposed to serve as the qualifier for 2019 Pan American Games, giving 7th tickets which still keeps me wondering how are the planning to determine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...