website statistics

Taekwondo 2016 Discussion Thread

mrv86

1 minute ago, dcro said:

Well, the same thing is going to happen at the Pan Am tournament where Puerto Rican and Honduran girl will just have to show up in women's +67. :d

Cuban Glenhis Hernández (world champion 2013) will participate in +67, so not so easy.

Results of internal selection of Mexico for olympics:

M -58kg: Three participants Round-Robin between Cesar Rodríguez (who got the ranking quota for Mexico), Damián Villa and Carlos Navarro. Rodríguez def. Villa in the first combat but then Navarro defeated both and will represent Mexico at Rio (quite an upset).

M -68kg: Another Round-Robin between 3 but this time no surprise, Saul Gutiérrez who obtained the ranking quota defeated both Abel Mendoza and Isaac Torres.

W +67kg: Maria Espinoza def. Briseida Acosta in a single combat and will represent Mexico.

W -49kg: Itzel Manjarrez was simply selected as representative because there aren't any other mexicans close to her ranking in this weight.

Edited by LDOG

You just jumped a little ahead of me with the National selection results.

Anyway, in my opinion the best athletes were selected, now let's see if Maria can win her third consecutive medal and the men return to the podium.

Draws for Day One of Pan American qualification tournament can be found on this link.

I think that in W 49kg Yvette Gonda is almost guaranteed to be in Rio and the other ticket can go to either Venezuela or Peru...

In Women's 57kg Carstens (PAN) and Martinez (VEN) will battle to reach the final, while the girl from Cuba should not pose a threat to Doris Patino from Colombia.

In Men's 80kg, USA and Cuba are fighting for one of the spots in one half on the draw and in the other Olympic champion Crismanich should grab his ticket.

In Men's 80+kg, Cuba and Venezuela are my favourites in one of the halves, while in the other I could see another close contest between USA and Canada, with the latter probably gaining the spot.

4 hours ago, mrv86 said:

Draws for Day One of Pan American qualification tournament can be found on this link.

I think that in W 49kg Yvette Gonda is almost guaranteed to be in Rio and the other ticket can go to either Venezuela or Peru...

In Women's 57kg Carstens (PAN) and Martinez (VEN) will battle to reach the final, while the girl from Cuba should not pose a threat to Doris Patino from Colombia.

In Men's 80kg, USA and Cuba are fighting for one of the spots in one half on the draw and in the other Olympic champion Crismanich should grab his ticket.

In Men's 80+kg, Cuba and Venezuela are my favourites in one of the halves, while in the other I could see another close contest between USA and Canada, with the latter probably gaining the spot.

It's Yvette Yong, not Yvette Gonda. I was already wondering how on earth can she compete at both European and American qualification tournament! :d

#banbestmen