website statistics

Sport Climbing 2017 Discussion Thread

phelps

• 2 months later...

Tokyo 2020 Olympic Qualification and Official olympic program http://www.ifsc-climbing.org/images/media-centre/2017/2017_IFSC_Plenary_Assembly_Quebec_City_Olympic_Format.pdf

It´s official that there will be 2 events (1 mens and 1 womens) and it will be the Combined event consisting of 2 rounds (qualification and finals). 20 Athletes M and W will participate, and the winner will be the athlete with the lowest cumulative score given by multiplying the rankings from all 3 partial disciplines in this order - Speed, Boulder, Lead.

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/3/2017 at 16:58, hckosice said:

Tokyo 2020 Olympic Qualification and Official olympic program http://www.ifsc-climbing.org/images/media-centre/2017/2017_IFSC_Plenary_Assembly_Quebec_City_Olympic_Format.pdf

It´s official that there will be 2 events (1 mens and 1 womens) and it will be the Combined event consisting of 2 rounds (qualification and finals). 20 Athletes M and W will participate, and the winner will be the athlete with the lowest cumulative score given by multiplying the rankings from all 3 partial disciplines in this order - Speed, Boulder, Lead.

that's not even Sport Climbing...they just created a senseless "discipline" to accomodate the IOC will, but this will not make a good service to the future of Sport Climbing itself...

in particular, we will have the most important title in the world of Sports awarded to a mediocre athlete who can have decent performance in 3 completely different events, ignoring the real champions of each of the 3 disciplines that make up this Sport...:evil::facepalm::wall:

by the way, I have even worse news...

Torrow the new World Cup Season starts in Switzerland (with the first Bouldering event)...:evil:

and after those stupid guys of Karate, also the Sport Climbing Federation has decided to change their policy and switch from an outstandig Free Coverage of their events on Youtube to a Paid Service named FloPro...

so, for the next 3 years at least, who wants to watch the main Sport Climbing Events has to subscribe to this platform, for the not so cheap fee of 150 US $/year (single payment) or, if preferred, 20 US $/month...:yikes:

if this is the IFSC idea of promoting their sport...:thumbdown::redcard::smash::facepalm:

in any case, this is the related article:

http://www.ifsc-climbing.org/index.php/news/item/909-ifsc-and-flosports-sign-online-streaming-deal

and this is the FloPro Home Page:

http://www.floclimbing.com/

and here you can find the Calendar of IFSC events for 2017:

http://www.ifsc-climbing.org/index.php/world-competition/categories

3 hours ago, phelps said:

that's not even Sport Climbing...they just created a senseless "discipline" to accomodate the IOC will, but this will not make a good service to the future of Sport Climbing itself...

in particular, we will have the most important title in the world of Sports awarded to a mediocre athlete who can have decent performance in 3 completely different events, ignoring the real champions of each of the 3 disciplines that make up this Sport...:evil::facepalm::wall:

The question is really who we'll see there. After all a guy like Adam Ondra is superb in both lead and boulder, but doesn't do speed. Will he end up trying to become decently competitive there as well? (he has been sceptical). Then he would be a favourite and not just a mediocre athlete.

But I guess it was their only chance to get a go at the Olympics.

26 minutes ago, Agger said:

The question is really who we'll see there. After all a guy like Adam Ondra is superb in both lead and boulder, but doesn't do speed. Will he end up trying to become decently competitive there as well? (he has been sceptical). Then he would be a favourite and not just a mediocre athlete.

But I guess it was their only chance to get a go at the Olympics.

yeah...maybe I've been a bit too harsh to the future Olympic Champion...;)

I mean...I'm sure that it would happen something like in Omnium in Cycling or the Combined event in Alpine Skiing...the medallists will be for sure athletes with a Golden pedigree in some of the existing disciplines (at the moment, however, the only guy in the top50 of the World Ranking of all 3 disciplines is the Canadian Sean McColl, the natural favourite for the Olympic Gold for now...meanwhile no girls are in the "triple top50" class right now, but I'd say that the current favourite for the Olympic Gold is the Japanese Akiyo Noguchi)...

but the average level of a competition of this kind won't be as good (especially in the female section, where most of the girls can't even compete at the top level in 2 of the 3 core disciplines) as it would have been if we had 2 or 3 special disciplines instead of the newly created combined event...

about the combined event being the only chance for Sport Climbing to get in, I can only agree with you...even if that's a pity for the reasons I tried to explain before...

• 4 months later...