website statistics

Field Hockey 2017 Discussion Thread

Dolby

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Teams for new international tournament that will replace world league (named "Hockey Pro League") were decided:

Men : :ARG:AUS:BEL:ENG :GER:IND:NED:NZL:PAK 

Women: :ARG:AUS:CHN:ENG:GER:IND:NED:NZL:USA 

All the nations that I predicted more or less. The only "shock" for me is India in women, but FIH is practically owned by India nowadays through sponsorship, so...

Pakistan will play their home games in Scotland (?) due to security reasons.

The format will be home and away round robin.

1 hour ago, Vojthas said:

It won't replace the World League, but the Champions Trophy. The idea quite interesting for gaining money in countries, where field hockey is more popular (TV rights, sponsorship etc.)

It will replace parts of World League (Semifinals and Finals) while initial stages (Round 1 and Round 2) where majority of the nations participated will continue as before. There is still some confusion regarding Olympic/WC qualification. Hopefully, FIH would clarify about that soon. 

Detailed Q&A about HPL: Link

• 2 months later...

^That and also New Zealand men and Italy women have qualified for the world cup. It is also noteworthy Chile women team making a big upset by beating USA in semifinals, but it wasn't enough since they had to win the cup to qualify for WC, a real pity for a team that has progressed a lot lately. IMO they deserved better luck at world league.

Next up european top divisions starting on Friday.

Edited by LDOG

3 hours ago, intoronto said:

Men: :ARG:CAN:USA are guaranteed a spot at the 2019 Pan Am Games in Peru. For women :ARG:CHI:USA 

I think we can safely assume that in Women, :CAN and :URU most probably are going to qualify, due to Argentina and Chile winning their spots in the 2018 South American Games.

Meanwhile, disaster performance by both Mexican teams, men especially, as they now have to play 2019 Pan Am challenge :wall:; not only that, but both squads must earn at least silver at next year's Central American and Caribbean Games in order to be in Lime

3 hours ago, vinipereira said:

Can Brazil qualify for the 2019 Pan Am Games? (Men's, of course)

They are top 2 in South America based on performance at the Pan Am Cup, so if they repeat that performance at the 2018 South American Games then they will qualify. T/T is almost guaranteed a spot, so I wonder if they will send their best team to the 2018 Central American and Caribbean Games, which if they don't then we might see them fall out of the top 2.