website statistics

Wrestling 2017 Discussion Thread

George_D

9 hours ago, heywoodu said:

To update on this: the Iranian foreign ministry has now (well, last week) said American wrestlers are welcome again, right? That's good news :)

yes and they are already in Iran, waiting for the start of the competition tomorrow. the problem is solved at least FOR NOW.

the competition will start tomorrow

Group A

Iran, Turkey, India, Mongolia

Group B

Russia, USA, Azerbaijan, Gerogia

easy group for Iran, while group B is tougher. Russia is sending a 2nd/3rd tier team (still strong though) I think it will be between USA and Azerbaijan, and I expect a Iran-USA final.

• 1 month later...

UWW announced revolutionary changes in wrestling rules ! these rules will be applied from January 2018.

https://unitedworldwrestling.org/article/ten-weight-categories-two-day-format-highlight-wrestling-improvements

https://unitedworldwrestling.org/sites/default/files/media/document/07_2018_changes.pdf

here is the summary of important changes

* They increased the number of weights from 8 to 10 ! the exact weight categories will be announced after the 2017 WC

* Finally they found out their current team ranking is not fair and changed it. now the champion will get 25 pts (instead of 10) and second place means 20pt (instead of 9) in old rules there was only 1pt difference between gold and silver medal !

* There will be a ranking system to seed top 4 wrestlers . wrestlers will get points for world and continental champs plus few selected international tournaments, this seeding system will be used also for the 2017 Worlds

* now we will competitions in two days instead of one ! repechage and finals will be held on the second day. they will test that in upcoming tournaments to make it official or not

* we will have weight-in in morning before the competition and once again in 2nd day morning with 2kg allowance for the 2nd day. this is the biggest change here, right now we have weight-in one day before the tournament which let the wrestlers cut 6-7 kilos . this is impossible now and will change so many things, I believe most of top wrestlers will move up one weight because of this rule.

* only after few months they regret their new Greco changes (I wrote about that in another thread) they are studying the situation to bring back the forced parterre. even though with adjustments, the current Greco format is terrible and boring. forced parterre was always a part of this sport.

* if a wrestlers tests positive for a team event, they will disqualify the entire team ! (to me this is not fair, they only have to disqualify that wrestler and his results)

* They also changed the format for competitions with 6 or 7 wrestlers, now we will have two groups of 3 or 4 wrestlers in round robin competition

11 minutes ago, MHSN said:

UWW announced revolutionary changes in wrestling rules ! these rules will be applied from January 2018.

https://unitedworldwrestling.org/article/ten-weight-categories-two-day-format-highlight-wrestling-improvements

https://unitedworldwrestling.org/sites/default/files/media/document/07_2018_changes.pdf

* They increased the number of weights from 8 to 10 ! the exact weight categories will be announced after the 2017 WC

* Finally they found out their current team ranking is not fair and changed it. now the champion will get 25 pts (instead of 10) and second place means 20pt (instead of 9) in old rules there was only 1pt difference between gold and silver medal !

* There will be a ranking system to seed top 4 wrestlers . wrestlers will get points for world and continental champs plus few selected international tournaments, this seeding system will be used also for the 2017 Worlds

* now we will competitions in two days instead of one ! repechage and finals will be held on the second day. they will test that in upcoming tournaments to make it official or not

* we will have weight-in in morning before the competition and once again in 2nd day morning with 2kg allowance for the 2nd day. this is the biggest change here, right now we have weight-in one day before the tournament which let the wrestlers cut 6-7 kilos . this is impossible now and will change so many things, I believe most of top wrestlers will move up one weight because of this rule.

* only after few months they regret their new Greco changes (I wrote about that in another thread) they are studying the situation to bring back the forced parterre. even though with adjustments, the current Greco format is terrible and boring. forced parterre was always a part of this sport.

* if a wrestlers tests positive for a team event, they will disqualify the entire team ! (to me this is not fair, they only have to disqualify that wrestler and his results)

* They also changed the format for competitions with 6 or 7 wrestlers, now we will have two groups of 3 or 4 wrestlers in round robin competition

With weigh-in on the morning of competition, when will draws take place? Same day or previous day, so before weigh-in? 

Just now, Dolby said:

With weigh-in on the morning of competition, when will draws take place? Same day or previous day, so before weigh-in? 

Good question, they didn't mention that , these are just the headlines, they will publish the details later after testing these changes in few events. but I believe the same day right after weight-in . having the draw before the weight-in will result in some disqualifications or walkover since we always have wrestlers who can't make weight.

1 hour ago, MHSN said:

Glad to see they're changing the ranking system and also seeding competitors.

However I'm not too happy about the increase in weights, mainly because now 4 weight divisions will be left out of the Olympic Games, meaning less athletes in those categories, at least during the Olympic qualification period. Besides, I really expect them to distribute the divisions with a more "regular" criteria, as for me, some of the current ones are kind of senseless (like the 74k in men's FS)

3 hours ago, mrv86 said:

Glad to see they're changing the ranking system and also seeding competitors.

However I'm not too happy about the increase in weights, mainly because now 4 weight divisions will be left out of the Olympic Games, meaning less athletes in those categories, at least during the Olympic qualification period. Besides, I really expect them to distribute the divisions with a more "regular" criteria, as for me, some of the current ones are kind of senseless (like the 74k in men's FS)

I guess most people here can't remember we had 10 weights in men's wrestling for something like 30 years until 1996 Olympics, FILA had to cut two weights and make it 8 to make room for women's wrestling, later they made it 7 and then 6 ! I'm quite sure wrestling community is happy with this decision cuz right now for example there is a big gap of 12kg between 74 and 86.

but yes I think having 10 weights for women's wrestling is too much.

• 3 weeks later...

Silver for Slovakia from Beijing 2008 confirmed :cheer:  Taymazov stripped of his gold, Musulbes who lost with him in the semifinals move from bronze to silver.

source in svk http://sport.aktuality.sk/c/270232/zapasenie-tajmazov-v-pekingu-dopoval-musulbes-ma-striebro/