website statistics

Track Cycling 2017 Discussion Thread

George_D

• 2 months later...

Sad day at Afcon Track Champs

Cycling South Africa is saddened to report the tragic death of Egyptian cyclist Eslam Nasser Zaki while participating in the African Continental Track Cycling Championships at the Cyril Geoghegan Track in Durban today.

The incident took place during the Elite Men’s Omnium-Tempo race. 22-year-old Eslam Nasser Zaki was riding on his own when he suddenly fell off his bicycle. The medics were on hand immediately to render emergency medical assistance, but after prolonged attempts to resuscitate him, Eslam Nasser Zaki was declared dead.

Cycling South Africa expresses its deepest sympathy and sincere condolences to the family and teammates of Eslam Nasser Zaki. Every effort is being made to assist the Egyptian Cycling Team during this very tragic period.

6 minutes ago, thepharoah said:

Sad day at Afcon Track Champs

Cycling South Africa is saddened to report the tragic death of Egyptian cyclist Eslam Nasser Zaki while participating in the African Continental Track Cycling Championships at the Cyril Geoghegan Track in Durban today.

The incident took place during the Elite Men’s Omnium-Tempo race. 22-year-old Eslam Nasser Zaki was riding on his own when he suddenly fell off his bicycle. The medics were on hand immediately to render emergency medical assistance, but after prolonged attempts to resuscitate him, Eslam Nasser Zaki was declared dead.

Cycling South Africa expresses its deepest sympathy and sincere condolences to the family and teammates of Eslam Nasser Zaki. Every effort is being made to assist the Egyptian Cycling Team during this very tragic period.

oh what a sad news. RIP :(

50 minutes ago, Gianlu33 said:

Very sad news, RIP :(  I never imagined that something like this could happen...

he didn't die , because he felled from the bicycle , but he'd a sudden heart attack due to over efforts , his body just couldn't handle it  

What was his name? Here it's Eslam Nasser Zaki, on other sites it's Islam Nasser Ragaey etc...I get Eslam/Islam, but how can Zaki/Ragaey be so different? 

This is just out of curiousity (and how to write his name in my article on a Dutch website), because the main thing is of course this very sad story.. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

RIP, very sad news :(

4 hours ago, heywoodu said:

What was his name? Here it's Eslam Nasser Zaki, on other sites it's Islam Nasser Ragaey etc...I get Eslam/Islam, but how can Zaki/Ragaey be so different? 

This is just out of curiousity (and how to write his name in my article on a Dutch website), because the main thing is of course this very sad story.. 

I'm quite sure our friend "thepharoah" will explain it much better but let me tell you that's because Arabic countries mostly don't follow the western naming system.(given name + surname) their names are usually consisted of 3-4 parts or more, sometimes they refer to the person wtih 1st part, 2nd part and 3rd part, sometimes the the part, the only consistent thing is the 1st part which is the given name. (the 2nd part is the father name)

for example, Egypt wrestling legend is worldwide known as Karam Gaber but I also read some Egyptian media know him as Karam Ibrahim.