website statistics

Football 2017 Discussion Thread

Henry_Leon

Todays match of our national championship  Slovan Bratislava - Michalovce  3-1 was attended by 295 spectators :rofl: and it is still not the record, the anti-record holder is still in the 1999/2000 season the match Banská Bystrica - Humenné with 205 spectators 

the video of the amazing atmosphere in the match between the most famous and legendary Slovak club Slovan and Michalovce can be find here http://www.fortunaliga.sk/zapas/1006-slo-mic :lol:

Well this women's team, FK Gintra-Universitetas of Lithuania, is fun :d

I happened to see them while checking out today's CL matches and holy moly, talk about dominance. The last time they lost a league match was in 2011, the last time they didn't win was a single draw in 2013. Last season and this season they score an average of 11 goals per match, including some results like 21-0 and 25-0 and quite a lot of 10+ matches (plus a rather mediocre three goals against per season) :lol:

@Werloc Lithuania might have the most dominant team in a European 1st tier (men/women) football league :p 

http://nl.soccerway.com/teams/lithuania/gintra-universitetas/5399/

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

40 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Well this women's team, FK Gintra-Universitetas of Lithuania, is fun :d

I happened to see them while checking out today's CL matches and holy moly, talk about dominance. The last time they lost a league match was in 2011, the last time they didn't win was a single draw in 2013. Last season and this season they score an average of 11 goals per match, including some results like 21-0 and 25-0 and quite a lot of 10+ matches (plus a rather mediocre three goals against per season) :lol:

@Werloc Lithuania might have the most dominant team in a European 1st tier (men/women) football league :p 

http://nl.soccerway.com/teams/lithuania/gintra-universitetas/5399/

Most dominant until it comes to international competition. Although, these girls had a few decent runs before, but I don't recall them ever making it to a huge tournament.

As for scores like 21-0 and 25-0, I think that only one out of a hundred Lithuanians would actually be able to name a second women's football team without resorting to google and I'm in that crowd of 99/100 as well.

7 minutes ago, Werloc said:

Most dominant until it comes to international competition. Although, these girls had a few decent runs before, but I don't recall them ever making it to a huge tournament.

As for scores like 21-0 and 25-0, I think that only one out of a hundred Lithuanians would actually be able to name a second women's football team without resorting to google and I'm in that crowd of 99/100 as well.

I'm not (well not anymore, I now know 'Banga' because I find the name funny) :p 

1-1 against Zürich doesn't seem too bad though today. Do people at least know Gintra themselves by name, or is that an unknown as well? Here in the Netherlands the only women's teams people know by name are probably Ajax, PSV, FC Twente and sc Heerenveen but that's just because they are top tier teams in the men's league :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

6 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I'm not (well not anymore, I now know 'Banga' because I find the name funny) :p 

1-1 against Zürich doesn't seem too bad though today. Do people at least know Gintra themselves by name, or is that an unknown as well? Here in the Netherlands the only women's teams people know by name are probably Ajax, PSV, FC Twente and sc Heerenveen but that's just because they are top tier teams in the men's league :p 

Well, yeah, now I know the whopping amount of 5 teams as well when I followed your link.

Banga means "wave" translated from Lithuanian, which is why it's a very popular name for sports teams coming from Klaipėda/Palanga that has the Baltic Sea around them.

I cannot really comment if people know Gintra, I doubt that a random person or a person that does not really follow the sports scene would have a clue. The only reason why I know Gintra is because I sometimes scroll past the articles whilst trying to get to Athletics/Rowing/Swimming and other interesting news :d

Equatorial Guinea expelled from FIFA Women’s World Cup France 2019

The FIFA Disciplinary Committee has sanctioned the Equatorial Guinea Football Association with expulsion from the FIFA Women’s World Cup France 2019 (in the event of their qualification) and a fine of CHF 100,000 for fielding ineligible players during the preliminary competition of the Women’s Olympic Football Tournament Rio 2016 and for the use of forged and falsified documents by two of its players.

The decision of the FIFA Disciplinary Committee comes as the result of further investigations conducted after the initial sanctions  (expelled from preliminary competition of Women's Olympic Football Tournament 2020) imposed in April 2016 against Equatorial Guinea. In particular, the FIFA Disciplinary Committee considered that ten (10) players, who all participated in the preliminary competition of the Women’s Olympic Football Tournament Rio 2016, were not eligible to play for the representative team of Equatorial Guinea.

As well as missing the 2019 Women's World Cup and the following year's Olympics, Equatorial Guinea are also banned from the next two Women's Africa Cup of Nations in 2018 and 2020. (and was disqualified in 2016 by the CAF Organising Committee for Women’s Football)

This miss in one of the Dutch amateur leagues :bowdown: (fast forward to 2:55)

Spoiler