website statistics

Modern Pentathlon 2016 Discussion Thread

Vojthas

Yesterday Rio de Janeiro have the biggest volume of rainfall in year :facepalm:

It was something outside of normal. On the other hand, August is one of the months which have less rains in the city. But I also hope that the organization can take learnings from it.

7 hours ago, Vojthas said:

The brothers may get two quotas from ranking or World Champs and Hamad, who won the African OQT may not start in Rio. Do you know what are the internal rules of Egyptian team?

i don't know it , but i think Egyptian federation won't mind to qualify both of them and kick out Hamad who didn't make any good result maybe ever in a big international MP competition 

I'm planning on watching some World Cup replays on uipmtv.com to familiarize myself with the big names, the main rules and the other ways of this sport. However, as I have never ever seen a full competition (only a bit of the epically terrible horse jumping), could someone point me to a few things I should look for? :p 

Like in biathlon there are people like Miriam Gössner who are world-class in skiing speed (compared with other biathletes) but who lack a good shooting capability. How is this here? Are there very clear "experts" in certain sports? I mean, people who you'll almost always see in the top-5 of a discipline but who are far behind in the rest?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

4 hours ago, heywoodu said:

I'm planning on watching some World Cup replays on uipmtv.com to familiarize myself with the big names, the main rules and the other ways of this sport. However, as I have never ever seen a full competition (only a bit of the epically terrible horse jumping), could someone point me to a few things I should look for? :p 

Like in biathlon there are people like Miriam Gössner who are world-class in skiing speed (compared with other biathletes) but who lack a good shooting capability. How is this here? Are there very clear "experts" in certain sports? I mean, people who you'll almost always see in the top-5 of a discipline but who are far behind in the rest?

Schöneborn is very good in fencing and pretty bad in swimming. Riding is like a lottery, because you have to be lucky to get a good horse.

I think you could just look at the results of the last world championships, to get a feeling for the strengths and weaknesses of all the athletes.

http://www.pentathlon.org/events/results/?id=135

I think swimming is the only discipline were results are pretty "predictable". By looking at the results i would say that Murray for example is pretty good in swimming and for example Asadauskaite seems to be pretty good in combined. I think combined also is pretty difficult to predict, because you need a bit of luck for the shooting part and you never know who has most energy left for the running. In fencing a lot of people can overperform if they get into a "flow".

Here are the world records for all disciplines and overall, maybe that helps you:

http://www.pentathlon.org/athletes/world-records/

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

On 14.03.2016 at 0:04 PM, heywoodu said:

First of all - the riding is a lottery, the host is responsible for horses and the leader after two events draws the horses. In theory it means that host country's representatives have a handicap as they train on those horses, but in practic they do not always like the horse they get during the competition.

Laura Asadauskaite (Olympic Champion from London), Lena Schöneborn (Olympic Champion from Beijing), Zsófia Földházi (silver medallist of YOG 2010 and the biggest star of her generation), Qian Chen, Oktawia Nowacka are in my opinion main favourites for the gold medal in Rio. Another ones who will fight for medals are Samantha Murray, Donata Rimsaite, Margaux Isaksen, Yane Marques and Elodie Clouvel. Of course there might be some surprise, but they are the top now. Among men the best are Aleksander Lesun, Ádám Marosi, Róbert Kasza, Amro El Geziry, Pavlo Tymoshchenko, Riccardo De Luca, Valentin Prades and Valentin Belaud.

About the experts in certain sports - as I said riding is a lottery, most of the best run/shoot athletes are those mentioned above (except Marques and Clouvel), in swimming the leaders are Brits (Joseph Choong, James Cooke, Samantha Murray), Hungarians (Ádám Marosi, Zsófia Földházi, Sarolta Kovács), Egyptians (Amro and Omar El Geziry) and a few others (Woojin Hwang, Jiahao Han, Elodie Clouvel, Gulnaz Gubaydullina). Fencing is quite an tiring event as the ranking round lasts about three hours and the result often depends on the day.

I think that's enough for the beginning.

Thank you :d 

I knew the names of Asadauskaite, Schöneborn, Marques and Lesun, the rest is all new to me. 

I'll come back here with more questions later probably :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!