website statistics

Snowboarding 2016 - 2017 Discussion Thread

hckošice

1 minute ago, Federer91 said:

Yeah, i would have preffered a normal race as well, but we know FIS loves to do these "hip" american style races. :coffee:

Waiting for snowboard moguls with a big air ramp in between the rhythm sections :evil:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Brockhoff and Haemmerle win season's sole sprint sbx race

2Q==

Belle Brockhoff (AUS) and Alessandro Haemmerle (AUT) have triumphed in the 2016-17 season's third snowboard cross World Cup race which was staged in Bansko (BUL) today.

Both riders lived up to the expectations coming out strong of the time trials two days ago to take home their respective career's third and fourth in the tour's sole sprint event which featured tons of interesting and exciting knock out heats therefore making the first ever sbx World Cup on Bulgarian slope a short but sweeping show and a true advertising for the sport.

Brockhoff, who had won the hole shot in all of her heats staged at the foot of the Pirin Mountains and in front of some 5,000 thousands noisy spectators, crossed the finish line in the women's final first with quite a comfortable lead on best qualifier Eva Samkova (CZE) therefore taking over the World Cup lead with 2,400 points from the reigning Olympic champion (2,250).

“I'm really happy with today. It's been a fun time here in Bansko. They put up a good show, and they built a really good course which worked really nicely. It was the most technical start section that we had. That's cool to see. I love this kind of starts,” Brockhoff said.

With a course length of only 20sec, no turns but a straight line, course builders had focused on the features to avoid a pure drag racing. However, good gliding skills combined with a perfectly waxed board also helped riders to do well.

Best example was Chloe Trespeuch (FRA) who managed to come back strong after a late start and stormed to a third rank finish in the Bulgarian sleet after the first rounds had been taken place in dry and perfect conditions.

Photo finish in men's final

While the women's event saw a dominant rider taking home the glory, the men's final became an exciting and close battle for the win on the 330 metres long straight sprint course.

In the end, it was third best qualifier Alessandro Haemmerle who made the smartest move landing first after the pen-ultimate jump therefore being able to pick up the decisive speed advantage over his rival Pierre Vaultier (FRA) who was soaring through the air just a bit longer.

The Austrian racer, still pumped by his win in Solitude two weeks ago, managed to bring the nose of his board to the front finally coming out successful of the photo finish decision against the 2014 Olympic champion who had posted the second best qualifying time last Thursday.

“It's amazing that I was able to take another one after winning in Solitude. I took a risk in the finals landing on the first and not the second possible transition, and it worked out,” Haemmerle summed up.

And Vaultier added: “It was a pretty tough race. It looked out fine in the big final but then Alessandro caught up because he had the better technical move. So, he definitely deserved the win today. It was a brave battle with him and the rest of the final.

Thanks to his second consecutive win, 23-year-old Haemmerle took over the World Cup lead from Omar Visintin (ITA) who finished in fifth position today. The South Tyrolean athlete, however, also has piled up 2,050 points so far but has one win less than the rider from Austria.

But “Izzy” is keen to keep hold to that yellow leader bib: “Being the new World Cup leader is a huge motivation. I will try to defend it as long as I can.”

Baptiste Brochu (CAN) rounded out the men' podium as third celebrating his career's second podium finish.

The snowboard cross World Cup tour continues next week with a double event in Feldberg, Germany. From February 10 to 12, 2017, two individual sbx races are scheduled.

9k=

Full Results Men and Women

Zavarzina and Dufour top second Bansko parallel giant slalom

9k=

Bansko's successful debut as a snowboard World Cup host wrapped up today with wins for Alena Zavarzina (RUS) and Sylvain Dufour (FRA) who stood out in the second parallel giant slalom staged on the Alberto Tomba slope of the Bulgarian resort nestling right at the foot of the Pirin Mountains.

Facing challenging conditions, Dufour brought home his first win since 2014 holding the upper hand on Radoslav Yankov (BUL) thanks to a superb carving technique. Through the first gates of the 500 metres long course, he set the local favourite under pressure and forced him to a decisive mistake.

Barracked by an once again stellar crowd of more than 5,000 spectators the 27-year-old World Cup leader from Chepelare thad ried to keep the momentum from his victory in Friday's historical race going for another win on home soil but caught the wrong edge in a backside turn almost taking out Dufour, too.

But the French racer saw disaster coming, avoided the crash and brought home his career's fourth.

“I loved it today. Winning here is an amazing feeling. You had to fight a lot today, I'm so happy,” Dufour said while his rival Yankov added: “At first, I was disappointed because of my crash but now I'm really happy about my second rank finish.”

Stefan Baumeister (GER) earned his career's first podium finish on the World Cup tour coming out successful of the small final against four-time world champion Benjamin Karl (AUT).

Superzina wins tight battle

In the women's competition, best qualifier Zavarzina claimed her career's third beating Friday's winner Patrizia Kummer (SUI) in the women's big final which was a tight battle from start to finish line therefore taking over the disciplines World Cup lead.

“It's been a fantastic venue. I love the people here. Everybody was so supportive. However, today had some pretty challenging conditions. It was really hard not to fall, really hard to keep the balance in the turns. It was exhausting but I managed to work 100%, and I'm happy about the win,” summed up the Russian raceboarder.

Japan's Tomoka Takeuchi rounded out the podium with Cheyenne Loch of Germany being forced to settle for fourth.

The alpine snowboard World Cup tour continues in Bokwang, Korea where the official Olympic test event (PGS) for the 2018 Olympic Winter Games in PyeongChang will take place on February 12, 2017.

2Q==

US riders with slopestyle podium sweep in Mammoth

Z

Riders from the USA have dominated the 2016-17 snowboard freestyle World Cup tour's fourth slopestyle event which was staged during the Toyota U.S. Grand Prix stop in Mammoth Mountain, CA.

The U.S. Snowboard roster claimed all podium spots in both, the women's and men's events which were finally able to go down today after snowfall and heavy wind had forced event organisers to postpone the finals twice.

In the women's event and still facing challenging conditions with flat lights, Olympic champion Jamie Anderson, the best qualifier and last to drop in of the eight girls going for the win took advantage of her experience and strong nerves scoring a 80.25 for her second run which included a frontside 180 to 50-50 to 180 off, boardslide 270 off, handplant, transfer over rail, backside air as well as a frontside 540, cab underflip 540 and backside rodeo 540 over the jump line to walk away with her career's seventh.

Hailey Langland, fresh off a big air win at the X Games and sitting on the top spot after run one finished in second position with a 77.40 while Julia Marino, winner of the X Games slopestyle gold this year who landed a cab double underflip rounded out the podium as third (71.85).

“I'm feeling grateful after a crazy week of procrastination and weather, and I think patience really paid off this week. We finally were able to run the finals, and all the girls were able to put down some gangster runs.

I couldn't be more happy after landing on the top. I can't believe I just beat a cab double underflip. I loved that,” Anderson summed up.

Teen to grab career's first

In the men's competition, it was Redmond Gerard who stood out.

The 16-year-old shooting star of the current World Cup season, who also took over the World Cup lead today due to his career's first, threw down the winning run in his first run already with a frontside 270 to boardslide, crippler 450 stalefish, boardslide, air to fakie, cab boardslide, backflip, frontside 900 and a switch backside 1260 to backside 1080 setting the bar too high with a 87.95 for the rest of the 16-men field of the two run, best one count finals.

“I'm feeling super good. I'm stoked that I put one down. At first I thought the jump section would be gnarly with the flat light but it turned out to be fine. You just had to trust your skills and trust your landings,” Gerard said

Kyle Mack finished in second (77.05) and Dylan Thomas in third (73.95) therefore not also claiming their career's first World Cup podium but also earning a decent first result in the US' national Olympic qualifier series of which the Toyota U.S. Grand Prix in Mammoth was the first stop.

The snowboard freestyle World Cup tour continues next week in Quebec City, Canada.

From February 9 to 12, 2017, the season's fifth slopestyle and final big air World Cup stop which also serves as final event of the Super Series will take place during the Snowjamboree 2017.

Veterans Clark and White upstage Mammoth halfpipe field

2Q==

US superstars Kelly Clark and Shaun White have claimed victory in the 2016-17 snowboard freestyle World Cup season's third halfpipe competition which took place at the Toyota U.S. Grand Prix in Mammoth Mountain, CA.

Defending Mammoth champion Clark, the most successful snowboarder of all times, was on fire in the final of the six best qualifying women of whom only three did compete due to other competition obligations. However, the three remaining girls delivered a great show.

Clark, a three-time Olympic medallist, stomped a solid second run consisting of frontside air, backside 540, frontside 1080, cab 720, crippler and a final backside air to earn the high score of 91.75.

“I'm really happy that I put down a run like I did today. I think regardless of the circumstances or how many people are in the event you wanna do a run you came to do,” said Clark.

The 33-year-old relegated Haruna Matsumoto (JPN; 87.50) to the second rank who had landed a frontside air to backside air, frontside 900, backside 900, frontside 720, cab 720 and a frontside 540. Hannah Teter (USA; 36.25) placed third after bailing on her final backside 900.

A stars and stripes kinda thing

In the men's event, which featured all registered athletes of the Grand Prix after the qualifiers had to be postponed several times due to the bad weather conditions, Shaun White celebrated a decent return to the Word Cup tour earning his career's fifth, the first since 2013.

The 2006 and 2010 Olympic champion landed an impressive first run wowing the judges with a method to frontside double cork 1080 mute, cab double cork 1080 stale, frontside 540 stale, double mctwist 1260 japan and a frontside 900 to finish things off.

Earning a score of 94.00 White underlined that he is on a good way to become who he was before Sochi 2014 – the man to beat when it comes down to halfpipe riding.

“I'm feeling great. You know, the weather wasn't great, we just kept waiting, waiting and waiting. It was tough to sit around thinking about what you would do. I didn't have the best contest at X Games so I was excited to come here and be the normal me and put some runs down,” White stated.

Ryan Wachendorfer (90.75), who earned his career's first podium as second with a frontside 900 tail to double michelchuck, frontside double cork 1080, cab 720, frontside 720, cab double cork 1080 as well as Louie Vito (83.25) completed the all-American podium sweep.

Their teammates Gregory Bretz (82.25) and Jake Pates (81.75) also added up to the great showing of the home roster finishing as respective fourth and fifth.

In total, eight riders from the US made it to the top-10 with reigning world champion and X Games gold medallist Scotty James (AUS; 75.25) and his fellow countryman from down under Kent Callister (69.00) being the only ones to keep up with the hosting nation's team as respective sixth and eighth.

The snowboard freestyle World Cup tour continues next week in Quebec City, Canada.

From February 9 to 12, 2017, the season's fifth slopestyle and final big air World Cup stop which also serves as final event of the Super Series will take place during the Snowjamboree 2017.

9k=

Full results Men and Women

Moioli and Vaultier prevail in first Feldberg sbx

9k=

Michela Moioli (ITA) and Pierre Vaultier (FRA) have claimed victory in the first event of the back-to-back snowboard cross World Cup races staged in Feldberg, Germany this weekend.

Facing better weather conditions and vision on the 650 metres long course than in yesterday's qualifiers, Moioli came out successful of a start to finish battle with World Cup leader Belle Brockhoff (AUS) in the women's final.

Taking the better line in the first left turn, Moioli took the lead and kept hold to it until the finish line despite several attacks of Brockhoff therefore taking home her career's fourth World Cup win.

“It was very difficult today, a lot of fighting in the semis and finals. I'm really happy. I needed this victory as the last races didn't turn out as I wanted. I can't wait to race tomorrow,” said Moioli after the price giving ceremony.

Her rival for the win from down under stated: “It was really fun. I made a few mistakes in the final but you know, it happens sometimes and costs a little speed but I'll take the second place for that.”

Especially as Brockhoff was able to keep the momentum ever since her win at the World Cup opener in Montafon, Austria extending her World Cup lead (3,200) on Olympic champion Eva Samkova (CZE; 2,650) who finished in eight position today:

“I wouldn't expect to be that consistent going into the season although I always try to ride my best every single time. The girls are really good, and it's definitely going up each year. It's good, it's pushing our sport, but I haven't been as consistent as I have been so far. So, I'm really happy.”

Another lucky girl on the podium was Meryeta Odine as she Canadian racer secured her career's first podium result while Alexandra Jekova (BUL) had to settle for fourth after her hopes for a better result were dashed crashing in the landing of the first jump.

Vaultier does it again

Over in the men's event, the big final – also raced as heat of four – was even closer than the thrilling spectacle the ladies had delivered before.

Pierre Vaultier, who had been beaten in the Bansko race in a photo finish decision last weekend, had the luck on his side today this time crossing the finish line ahead of Lucas Eguibar (ESP) in a great blink of the eye final to clinch his career's 18th.

“I haven't been thinking about the photo finish in Bansko, but yes, it is a good redemption today even though it has been another rival,” he said whilst also knowing that there is still some room to improve:

“I didn't see or hear him coming as I'm goofy. So, I might have won but it has also been quite a lesson because I didn't expect Lucas to be there.”

Nevertheless, Vaultier, who had placed second and first in the sprint-format races at Feldberg last year, seems to have a special connection with the Seebuck slope.

“There is something, that's true although it was tough this time with the adverse weather in qualifiers. That was challenging. But today everything came together to make it a perfect one,” he added.

And while the father of one had another great result to celebrate in the German Black Forest, Lucas Eguibar was also pleased – despite the fact being beaten by inches:

“That was so close. But you know what, I'm not disappointed at all. I didn't have a good start into the season, so I'm happy with the result. Especially as we are close to the home soil world champs. I'm ready for the next races.”

Omar Visintin (ITA), who has been racing every big final this season so far, rounded out the podium as third ahead of Regino Hernandez (ESP) therefore taking over the lead in the men's World Cup ranking with 2,650 points from Alessandro Haemmerle (AUT; 2,500) who finished in fifth position today.

The snowboard cross World Cup tour continues tomorrow with the second event of the Feldberg double with the finals scheduled for 12 PM CET and live TV on Eurosport Asia 1, BNT, SFR Sport 3, Ziggo Sport Extra 2 and live streaming on cbc.ca.

Z

Gasser and McMorris top Quebec City big air and win World Cup as well as Super Series titles

9k=

Anna Gasser (AUT) and Mark McMorris (CAN) have claimed victory in the 2016-17 snowboard freestyle World Cup season's sixth and final big air event which was staged as part of the 2017 Jamboree presented by Vidéotron Mobile on Ilot Fleurie in downtown Quebec City, Canada today.

The event in front of a huge crowd of spectators also served as final stop of the first ever big air Super Series, a tour within the tour.

Both riders also took home the discipline's Crystal Globe – the career's first for both – as well as the win in the Super Series.

In the men's event, McMorris (189.50) earned his career's third in a superb showdown against defending Quebec champion Max Parrot (CAN; 184.75) where both riders stomped a backside triple 1440 mute as well as frontside 1440 mute.

Anton Mamaev (RUS; 174.75) finished in third position.

As both, McMorris – the fifth-ever Quebec winner from Canada – and Parrot therefore wrapped up the six-stop season with 2,600 points, McMorris walked away with the coveted trophy due to one more win to his belt than his teammate.

“To win the series here in Canada, on my last run, last rider to drop for the night, it’s so special! On top of that I’m going to slopestyle tomorrow, and it’s looking good for 2018, so I can’t complain about a thing,” stated McMorris.

Over on the women's side, the race for the title had already been decided after Anna Gasser had qualified for the finals of the top six women last Thursday as her main rival Katie Ormerod (GBR) did not survive the qualifier cut.

In the end, the big air season concluded like it began: with a win of Anna Gasser (AUT). Landing her signature cab double underflip indy and a backside 720 mute the 25-year-old from Carinthia snatched her fourth big air win this season with the final score of 165.00.

“It’s cold here, but I'm very happy that I landed my runs in not so easy conditions and with other very good girls riding. I really enjoyed it today. I’m stoked to be the overall winner as well, and I’m very excited to bring the awards back home,” she said.

In addition, Gasser landed on the podium in all of her this season's big air starts also finishing second in Moscow (RUS) beginning of the year whilst only missing the Copper Mountain (USA) big air last December due to an injury.

Having one additional second and one more first rank finish in the slopestyle World Cup tour under her belt, the unbeaten rider of the women's big air Super Series which featured stops in Milan (ITA), Moenchengladbach (GER) and Quebec City, also gained an uncatchable lead in the snowboard freestyle overall ranking already.

The women's big air podium in Quebec City was rounded out by X Games gold medallist Julia Marino (USA; 162.50) in second and Zoi Sadowski Synnott (NZL; 151.00), who earned her career's first podium, as third.

The snowboard freestyle World Cup tour will continue tomorrow in Stoneham Mountain Resort where the penultimate slopestyle event of the season will take place with the finals kicking of at 10 AM local time (4 PM CET) also featuring today's triumphant riders as today's top qualifiers.

Live TV is available on ORF Sport+, SFR Sport 3 and Teledelporte.

2Q==

Full Results men and Women

Final Big Air 2016/17 World Cup Ranking Men and Women

Z

Zavarzina and Prommegger victorious in Olympic PGS test event

2Q==

Alena Zavarzina (RUS) and Andreas Prommegger (AUT) have claimed victory in the official parallel giant slalom test event for the upcoming 2018 Olympic Winter Games in PyeongChang, South Korea which was staged in the re-run format today.

With perfect conditions on the 560 metres long course given, a course which had all the ingredients for a superb show, with steep parts, natural rollers as well as flat sections and a total of 26 parallel flagged gates, everything was set for the raceboarder's first taste of what to expect next February.

In the women's competition, Zavarzina kept hold to her win from Bulgaria last weekend coming out successful of the Bansko women's final remake against 2014 Olympic champion Patrizia Kummer (SUI).

“I'm feeling great. It was a great experience to race here on the official Olympic slope. Organisers did a great job. I'm really excited to come back next year,” Zavarzina stated.

Her rival from Switzerland was also in a good mood and full of praise for the venue and organisation at site:

“I'm very happy, another podium in the World Cup at a special place. It's been a good course, a great slope. I'm stoked.”

Due to her season's second and career's fourth win, Zavarzina, the 2014 Olympic bronze medallist not only extended her lead in the pgs World Cup standings but also took over the lead in the alpine snowboard overall World Cup ranking from Ester Ledecka.

The Czech top gun missed the race in Korea due to her participation in the FIS Ski World Championships in St. Moritz, Switzerland.

Julie Zogg (SUI) rounded out the podium as third winning the small final against Germany's Ramona Hofmeister.

Prommegger from 16 to first

Over in the men's event, Andreas Prommegger held the upper hand over his teammate Sebastian Kislinger in an all-Austrian final bringing home his season's first World Cup win while his fellow countryman celebrated his career's first podium in his 40th start.

However, at first, it didn't really look like his career's 14th as the father of one just sneaked through to the finals as 16th best qualifier facing this seasons dominant rider and best qualifier Radoslav Yankov in his eighth final round.

But Prommegger knocked out Yankov catching up a deficit of 0.19 seconds to tie the time and proceed to the next round where he kept the momentum in the following duels versus Sarsembaev (RUS) and Caviezel (SUI).

“I didn't know what was going on in the qualifiers. I had two good runs but wasn't fast. So, I changed the equipment and it worked out perfectly. I'm feeling great,” Prommegger explained the move which made the difference for him in the end.

Yankov, beaten by literally nothing, finished in ninth position and defended his lead in both, the pgs and alpine snowboard overall World Cup rankings.

Aaron March (ITA) finished in third position with Dario Caviezel (SUI) forced to settle for fourth.

The alpine snowboard World Cup tour continues in two weeks with a parallel slalom staged in Shukolovo (RUS) on February 25, 2017.

2Q==

Samkova and Pullin triumph in second sbx race at Feldberg

Z

Eva Samkova (CZE) and Alex Pullin (AUS) have claimed victory in this season's fifth snowboard cross race which was staged as second event of the Feldberg (GER) double Snowboard World Cup today.

While it was this season's second triumph for Samkova, Pullin earned his first in the running World Cup season on a perfectly shaped course on the Seebuck slope and in front of a stellar crowd.

However, it was actually best qualifier Samkova who impressed the hundredths of spectators in the finish area of the Black Forest venue most as she took a different approach compared to her competitors in the women's finals to secure her career's seventh.

Knowing that she had always been the last at the start, the 2014 Olympic champion decided to pull out of the gate with quite a gap but then went full throttle to finally pass her three rivals on the long and fast home stretch.

“I did that late start for the first time. We just decided after semi finals to do it because I was really bad at the starts. The timing was hard though because you don't know if you catch them again,” explained Samkova.

But the 23-year-old from Vrchlabi perfected her drag race skills, crossed the finish line as first and edged off four-time world champion Lindsey Jacobellis (USA) to the second rank.

“I caught them where I was planning to do so but you never know. But man, making it it's like... you feel like a God. It's crazy when you get out late and are the first one in the finish. That's the feeling why we do this sport,” Samkova added.

Chloe Trespeuch (FRA) had the luck on her side deciding the photo finish for third against World Cup leader Belle Brockhoff (AUS).

Crash in first turn key to historic Australian triumph

Over in the men's event, things went critical right in the first turn.

With three riders going into the left berm at the same time, Alessandro Haemmerle (AUT), being on the fast outside lane, touched the tail of best qualifier Alex Pullin (AUS) before catching the wrong edge and washing out together with Hagen Kearney (USA) over the first step down with the US-American landing hard on his back before being able to finish the race on his feet.

“Everybody went for it. I had the most speed and didn't know where to go with it as I was trapped between two riders. Then I hit Pullin's board, caught the wrong edge and took Kearney with me. I'm happy that nobody got hurt,” said Haemmerle who played the major role in the crash.

However, it was Pullin capitalising on the carnage which took place behind him to earn his career's seventh and a perfect redemption for yesterday's disappointing early out in the eighth finals.

“Yesterday was terrible, but I learned a lot of yesterday's qualifiers. It's been perfect and a really great turnaround for me because yesterday was pretty crappy although wining and losing is part of the sport. I'm really stoked,” Pullin stated.

As 2016 X Games gold medallist Jarryd Hughes (AUS) was able to avoid the crash in front of him, the rider from down under made it a 1-2 double for Australia – the countries best result in World Cup history.

Never before, two riders from Australia had placed on the podium together.

Alessandro Haemmerle rounded out the podium as third earning back the World Cup lead from Omar Visintin (ITA) again who ranked eighth today – the first time this season that the rider form South Tyrol missed the big finals.

As a result, “the focus is now on La Molina. I will focus on the Crystal Globe trying to make it in the finals there. And then it's time for the worlds and hopefully a medal,” said the new World Cup leader form Austria.

The snowboard cross World Cup tour takes a break of three weeks now with the next race scheduled in La Molina, Spain on March 4 and 5, 2017.

2Q==

Marino and Toutant shine out at slopestyle World Cup Quebec

Z

Julia Marino (USA) and Sebastien Toutant (CAN) have claimed victory in the penultimate slopestyle World Cup event of the 2016-17 season which was staged as part of the 2017 Jamboree presented by Vidéotron Mobile in the Stoneham Mountain Resort, Canada.

And whilst riders had to face some flat light and therefore quite challenging conditions, the top-8 female and best 16 male qualifiers still delivered a great show in the two run best one count final in front of the stellar crowd which braved the cold weather whilst hoping for another top result of the Canadian roster.

The hosting nation's riders had been doing well in the Saturday night big air finals with Mark McMorris and Max Parrot securing a 1-2 double for the maple leaves – so hopes were high for a repetition.

And Team Canada did their home country proud with Sebastien Toutant (84.81) and Mark McMorris (84.60) claiming another 1-2 punch in a super tight showdown.

In a technical final which could have gone either way, it was Seb Toots who impressed the judges just a little bit more with his second run to take his career's third.

The local favourite from Quebec landed a cab double cork 1260 tail to frontside double cork 1080 mute and backside 1440 mute on the three-kicker jump line before stomping a tailslide to 270 out on the creative hip feature whist finishing things of with a 270 on 270 out and a cab 270 in the rail section at the bottom of the course.

However, he had to go through some hard times until he finally was able to stomp the run he had in mind and climb the top spot of the podium.

“Not making the cut in yesterday's big air was for sure a bummer with all my friends and family here. And then I fell on the first jump in my first run, I couldn't believe it,” he recalled.

“I had a ton of pressure in my second run for sure but I tried to stay focused. I knew I had that run which I landed a couple of times in practise.

I'm super happy that I put it down. Taking a win in Quebec in front of my home crowd is awesome,” stated Toutant who did not compete in his backyard since 2011 when he won the big air event in Quebec City.

Beaten by only 0.21, McMorris, who had looked like taking home a back-to-back win, was left standing as second knowing that the decision about the victory had not been in his hands.

The winner of the first ever FIS Super Series had thrown down a switch backside 1260 stalefish as well as a backside triple cork 1440 mute and frontside double cork 1080 mute to tail before stomping a tailslide 270 off, frontside boardslide to boardslide 270 out and a cab 270.

“You know, you can only land your run. I think it could have gone either way, just like yesterday. But I'm happy that I earned another good result. And hey, two Canadians on the podium, it could be worse,” he commented also knowing that “it was hard with the flat light but the level of riding was pretty technical today.”

Another proof for the superb level in the men's final was spinning wonder Markus Kleveland.

After putting down a solid run consisting of a cab 1260 melon to frontside double cork 1080 mute, backside 1440, boardslide prezel 270 out, cab 270 and a switch boardslide 270 out, the Norwegian Viking walked away with a 84.16 and a third rank finish saying:

“To compete with those guys it's a high level of riding. You have to push yourself to the max. It's been really fun.”

US ladies atop

And while the men put down some killer runs, the girls didn't want to be left behind with two US ladies taking a double win for the stars and stripes.

Coming off strong of her last nights second rank finish in the big air competition, Julia Marino claimed her career's second, her first in slopestyle though, thanks to her first run with which she set the bar too high for the rest of the field.

Marino was given a 76.43 for her frontside 540 indy to cab double underflip mute, backside 720 mute as well as a frontside nose bluntslide, frontside boardslide and a final 50-50 to frontside 360 therefore relegating Olympic champion Jamie Anderson to the runner-up position (72.78).

“I had a really fun time today although we had some flat light. But as the conditions were consistent it was good. However, it definitely wasn't easy. All the girls put down their hardest runs. But its cool, we push each other,” Marino said.

However, earning another 800 points for her second rank finish, Anderson took over the World Cup lead – despite the fact of being forced to deal with spare gear.

“I'm super happy to put one down after a super tough week here. I lost my bags which just showed up yesterday. So it was all new gear with which I wasn't comfortable with.”

Nevertheless, the US superstar who has had some ups and downs this season, was still able to throw down: cab 720 tail, switch backside 540 indy, frontside 720 mute, tailtap 270 off, frontside gap to boardslide and a frontside lipslide.

The women's podium was rounded out by Brooke Voigt (CAN; 67.43) who jumped on the podium for the third time in her career making the final day of the twelfth edition of the Jamboree one Canadian fans will never forget.

The snowboard freestyle World Cup tour will continue next weekend with the Olympic halfpipe test event staged in the Bokwang Phoenix Park Resort, South Korea from February 17 to 19, 2017.

9k=