website statistics

Ski Jumping 2016 - 2017 Discussion Thread

hckošice

What a finish and great to see Domen's first win already...that guy's gonna surpass Peter :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Only his brother Domen and a fall can stop Peter Prevc

Santa Claus congratulates today's winner Domen Prevc

Santa Claus congratulates today's winner Domen Prevc

Great drama in the opening event of the Ski Jumping World Cup in Ruka, Finland. 17-year-old Domen Prevc of Slovenia won the first competition of the FIS World Cup 2016/17. The younger brother of superstar Peter Prevc benefited from a crash of his brother in the very last jump of the competition. The event was held under perfect weather conditions.

Jumps of 138.5 m and 140.5 m earned Domen Prevc a total of 321.8 points and his first win in the World Cup. But after outstanding jumps in yesterday's training in Ruka this was not really a big surprise.

"I think it was a really fair competition, there wasn't a lot of wind so we could make great jumps. I can't really tell why I was so strong hear today, I guess my coaches could maybe answer this question. Tomorrow is another day, we'll see if I can jump on the same level again", youngster Domen Prevc summed up his day at work.

The extremely strong result of Severin Freund came as more of a surprise. The runner-up of last season's overall World Cup finished second with two jumps of 140 m (318.3 points). Freund, who was forced to take a long break from jumping training due to an injury, showed a great performance and was surprised by the high level of his jumps in this winter's first competition: 

"Honestly, this result is a bit of a surprise for me, because I didn't necessarily expect it after only so few training jumps. I think I benefited from the fact that I know what to do on this hill. Yesterday was very difficult for me, because when you return to competing after a long break it's more or less normal to be struggling a bit. That's why I'm even happier that it worked that well today. I know that Domen didn't have the best summer, but the profile of this hill suits him well. He really knows how to fly", Freund said about his very good start of the season.

Peter Prevc, who didn't jump that well in the training rounds on the HS 142 Rukatunturi-hill in Ruka on Thursday, intensively analyzed his jumps together with his coaches and this paid off in the competition. After the first round Peter Prevc was clearly in the lead with his outstanding jump on 143 m. Only a crash right after the landing of his second jump prevented his first win this season. Fortunately it seems that he didn't suffer any serious injuries and got away with some bruises.

"Right now I'm okay, but the body is still full of adrenaline. But if I can walk and talk there is no big problem. Yesterday I made my first jumps on snow, so I had to adjust to the conditions and to the hill. We then analyzed the jumps together with the coaches and made some changes in the inrun position and this worked out really well. After seeing how Domen jumped yesterday I knew that he is capable of achieving a really good result. His last training jumps in Kranj were also really impressive. I'm really happy that he could jump that well also in the competition", said Peter Prevc.

The fourth place went to strong Austrian Manuel Fettner. Fettner came in right ahead of Poland's Maciej Kot, who was one of the top favorites, and the two Germans Karl Geiger (6th) and Markus Eisenbichler (7th). Three members of the German team were in the Top 7 and so they can be very satisfied with the start of this winter season. Richard Freitag in 15th and David Siegel in 19th completed the good performances of the team of Werner Schuster.

The Austrian jumpers also presented themselves strong. Besides Fettner in fourth, Andreas Kofler (8th), Stefan Kraft (9th) and Michael Hayboeck (11th) jumped on a high level. Austrian head coach Heinz Kuttin will be satisfied with this opening event.

The second competition will take place on Saturday at 4:00 pm CET.

Full results and Cup Standings in our Results Database

Severin Freund soars to victory in Ruka

Daniel Andre Tande, Severin Freund, Manuel Fettner

Daniel Andre Tande, Severin Freund, Manuel Fettner

Severin Freund won the second Ski Jumping World Cup competition of this winter in Ruka, Finland, in an impressive manner. For 28-year-old Freund, who was already second in the season opener on Friday, jumped on 146 m and 138 m (290.6 points) and took his 22nd win in the World Cup with a clear lead of 11.6 points over second-placed Norwegian Daniel-Andre Tande.

The third place went to Austria's Manuel Fettner, who equalled his career-best result (a third place in Oberstdorf 2010). Severin Freund now took the lead in the overall World Cup with 180 (of the maximum of 200) points.

Freund took advantage of his huge amount of experience on the HS 142 hill in Kuusamo and took a well-deserved win. "I'm really satisfied, this is definitely not what I expected and this makes it so much more satisfying. Today I made the right jump at the right time because I was lucky with the conditions in the first round. I had the best conditions and made a very aggressive jump, which wouldn't have worked on many hills. The season has just started and I already achieved my goal of winning again. Now I just want to get better from competition to competition", Freund said after the competition.

After being eighth in the first round, Daniel Andre Tande could move up to second overall with an outstanding second jump of 139 m. "After the first round I didn't expect that I could finish in the Top 3 today. My first jump wasn't nearly as good as the second. It's a difficult hill here, but I really like it because you can fly quite long. It's my second time here so I couldn't be happier with the result", explained Tande.

The best team peformance today was shown by the Austrians. Besides Manuel Fettner, also Stefan Kraft (4th), Andreas Kofler (6th) and Michael Hayboeck (10th) were in the Top 10. "I'm very satisfied with the result and also with my jumps. I'm really happy. I think this was the best weekend I've ever experienced in Kuusamo with regard to the weather conditions and I've been here often. Yesterday was no wind and today it also felt like almost no wind for Kuusamo", Fettner joked after his strong performance.

Karl Geiger achieved yet another great result for the German team in ninth. Markus Eisenbichler and Richard Freitag in 15th and 16th, Stephan Leyhe in 19th and Andreas Wellinger in 20th completed a solid team result for Germany. The fans in Klingenthal, where the next World Cup competitions will be held next weekend, can look forward to seeing a strong German team.

For the Slovenian brothers Peter and Domen Prevc it didn't go as well as yesterday. Peter, who sustained a big bruise on his right thigh in his crash yesterday, was seventh. His 17-year-old brother Domen, the winner of this season's first event, finished 13th. Today's competition ended without  a top result for the Polish team of head coach Stefan Horngacher. But Maciej Kot (8th), Piotr Zyla (11th), Dawid Kubacki in 14th and Kamil Stoch, who was struggling a bit after his fall yesterday, were still strong - the Polish team has to be reckoned with this winter.

The weekend in Ruka was a huge success for Vincent Descombes Sevoie of France. He already gained some attention with a great 10th place on Friday and was pre-qualified for the second event. Today Descombes Sevoie could do even better and finished on a sensational fifth place. He is now 9th in the overall World Cup - á la bonne heure.

Besides Severin Freund and the Prevc brothers, the organizers in Ruka also one of this weekend's winners. The investments for the new inrun track and the huge wind net already paid off on the very first weekend. The Rukatunturi hill in Kuusamo will probably continue to be a regular in the World Cup calendar of the FIS. 

After two competitions, Severin Freund of Germany leads the overall World Cup with 180 points, followed by Domen Prevc (SLO/120 points) and Austrian Manuel Fettner (110 points).

The team of Germany leads the Nation's Cup after the first weekend with 376 points, ahead of Austria (311 points) and Slovenia (225 points).

Full Results and Cup Standings Here

Japanese double victory at the opening

Takanashi-Lillehammer

Takanashi ahead of Ito and Rupprecht

Sara Takanashi and Yuki Ito delivered a double victory for Japan at the opening of the FIS World Cup Ladies Ski Jumping in Lillehammer. Last years world cup overall winner Sara Takanashi performed the longest jumps in both rounds with 95,0 and 99,5 meters, scoring 271,3 points.

Takanashi said: „It ist he start of a new season and I was able to perform very good jumps and to achieve a great result. I am very happy about that. The level of ladies ski jumping is getting higher and higher so I also have to get better. We still have great events coming up this season like the World Championships and I need to stay focused.“

Ito not fully satisfied

19,9 points behind team mate Yuki Ito completed the perfect start fort he Japanese team with 94,5 and 92,5 meters. Ito stated: „All in all I am very happy with my performance. But my second jump was a little late. So there are still some details I need to work on.“ On third place Germany´s Anna Rupprecht took her first ever World Cup podium with two jumps to 90,5 meters and 243,8 points.

Rupprecht happy

Rupprecht said: „Right now I am feeling very good. It was a great day. My jumps where solid with still some room for improvement. Now I can´t wait to call my mom.“

Mixed feelings in Austrian team

While Jaqueline Seifriedsberger and Daniela Iraschko-Stolz showed a descent performance fort he Austrian team, finishing 4th and 6th, team mates Eva Pinkelnig and Chiara Hölzl failed to qualify for the final round. Maja Vtic finished 5th and was the best Slovenian athlete. Katharina Althaus and Svenja Würth came in 7th and 9th and put a ribbon on a good German perfromance. Russia´s Irina Avvakumova can already look forward to her home ground competition next week in Nizhny Tagil after the 8th place in Lillehammer.

Solid comeback for Hendrickson

Sarah Hendrickson finished her World Cup comeback on 11th place and was the only US girl to qualify fort he final round, Lucile Morat celebrated a great World Cup debut on 12th place. Elena Runggaldier came in 14th and was the best Italien jumper. Romania´s Daniela Haralambie and Julia Kykkänen from Finland secured a couple of points for their nations on places 25 and 28.

Full Results and Standings Here

15219623_10154148400997151_3320953849719