website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Happy Holidays and Birthdays Thread

leli.

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Cool :d 

Although it sounds way too formal for my tasting, like it's the royal freaking family :p 

Here it's mostly about enjoying the time, having fun and laughing a lot and nobody cares if person A or person B gets up to pick something :p 

I see. well, he didn´t explained it correctly though, :d the thing is more about old pagan superstitions, it was believed that peoples have to stay on their places, it was believed that if someone else (than the designated person) left the table during the dinner, it would bring the misfortune and some of the family members present around the table would die over the year. :d

we had millions of similar weird superstitious things, the whole country adapted and are used more or less folklorically everywhere (in our family for example only my mom is allowed to quit the table during the dinner)  :d also the thing with the extra plate is not exactly a memoration of deceased peoples or family members not able to came for the dinner, yes, partially yes, but it is mainly a extra plate and chair you have to prepare for a special and unexpected guest, it was common that if a stranger (friend or enemy) has knocked on your door the christmas evening, you had to invite him to dinner and feed him...

2 hours ago, hckosice said:

I see. well, he didn´t explained it correctly though, :d the thing is more about old pagan superstitions, it was believed that peoples have to stay on their places, it was believed that if someone else (than the designated person) left the table during the dinner, it would bring the misfortune and some of the family members present around the table would die over the year. :d

we had millions of similar weird superstitious things, the whole country adapted and are used more or less folklorically everywhere (in our family for example only my mom is allowed to quit the table during the dinner)  :d also the thing with the extra plate is not exactly a memoration of deceased peoples or family members not able to came for the dinner, yes, partially yes, but it is mainly a extra plate and chair you have to prepare for a special and unexpected guest, it was common that if a stranger (friend or enemy) has knocked on your door the christmas evening, you had to invite him to dinner and feed him...

I would use this extra plate when one dish made my plate dirty, so I can eat the next dish from a clean plate :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 minutes ago, hckosice said:

every dish is served on its own plate you silly :d

In that case, no problem :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Merry Virgin-Birth or Capitalism Day or Tuesday (depending on what you believe in)!

My first Christmas on here has been pretty good.

Happy Holidays to all! (even @heywoodu who refuses to acknowledge my adulthood)

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 minute ago, Olympian1010 said:

Merry Virgin-Birth or Capitalism Day or Tuesday (depending on what you believe in)!

My first Christmas on here has been pretty good.

Happy Holidays to all! (even @heywoodu who refuses to acknowledge my adulthood)

I hope Santa brought you something nice!

6 hours ago, DaniSRB said:

Merry Christmas to all users who celebrate today, have a great day!

I am interested in world holidays, if you have time, write what kind of food is prepared today, are there any rituals performed, etc. Thanks

Question for Italians, do you lit candle on this day?

Most families in America get up between 5-7 AM to up presents, though some open up one present each the night before. The food prepared in my family is ham, turkey, assorted potato dishes, chocolates, and other candies. My family has coffee and homemade (from a box) cinnamon rolls. Some American Midwest families hide a pickle and the first person to find it gets an extra present. Many families listen to Christmas music and go look at Christmas lights. My family will play games later tonight. 

I you have any other questions, I’d be glad to answer @DaniSRB

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I hope Santa brought you something nice!

I got some very good gifts (my family knows me well)

7 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Most families in America get up between 5-7 AM to up presents, though some open up one present each the night before. The food prepared in my family is ham, turkey, assorted potato dishes, chocolates, and other candies. My family has coffee and homemade (from a box) cinnamon rolls. Some American Midwest families hide a pickle and the first person to find it gets an extra present. Many families listen to Christmas music and go look at Christmas lights. My family will play games later tonight. 

I you have any other questions, I’d be glad to answer @DaniSRB

This year I am spending my Christmas in the USA as well, for the first time of my life :) I am in NYC where my aunt and cousins live.