website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Happy Holidays and Birthdays Thread

leli.

4 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

I need to learn something too, what’s the Dutch version of happy new year :d

4 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Never too late to learn something new before closing the year, feliz ano novo :cheer:

Thank you. Gelukkig nieuwjaar. :d

Edited by thiago_simoes

Greetings from the last Totallympics time zone! :p

As I write this, we are now one hour away from the new year, 33rd Olympiad year, and a new “Roaring 20s” decade. It’s no secret that I’m one for emotional posts, so why not finish the decade with one :d

Where to start? I guess 2010. I am 9 years old at the time of the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver, Canada. I cannot remember much from the game, but I remember the absolute joy of racing home from school to catch the Cross Country Classic Sprint Finals. I cannot remember the winner, nor a single race, but I remember the magic of that moment. Lindsey Vonn also captures my mind, as well as a nation’s heart after winning the women’s downhill. Fast-forward to 2016, and I’m standing at the bottom of the hill where Vonn won gold. 2 hours, later I’m at the Whistler Bobsleigh Center, and I’ve just seen a bobsleigh rattle down the track for the first time. Overall, I consider Vancouver to be the most magical and beautiful place in the world, and I’m honored to share this last Totallympics time zone with it (I hope to visit again one day). Let’s go back to 2012. I’ve just failed my first class in school (straight up F), and I’ve also started the four shittest years of my life (minus the only snow day of my childhood). My mind is one again captured by the magic of the Olympic Games. However, I’m not allowed to watch the closing ceremony because school has begun, and I’m not allowed to do anything but work now. At this point in my life I was both a bully, and a victim. It’s honestly one of the most traumatizing experiences a child can go through in my opinion, and it shapes a lot of my world view to this day. It’s in 2014 that I question the meaning, and really ponder suicide, though I never tell my parents, and never reach out to anyone putting myself in extreme danger. Luckily (and miraculously), I over come the hardest year in my life, thanks to the help of the magic the 2014 Winter Olympics. However, my grades slip during the games, and I’m banned from watching them after the first week. At this point, it’d be pretty hard for my life to get worse. It wasn’t actually that bad by any means, but many small issues began to compound, and it was becoming too much again. I was again in a dark place that summer before the 8th grade (the last grade before high school). I’m not a religious person, but if there was ever a second coming of the Lord, it was my eighth grade teacher. She saw what others had overlooked in me. She pushed to pursue my passions, and taught me what true compassion looked like. She herself told me (a kid with the longest disciplinary record in school history), that I embodies the true meaning of the faith, and that in her eyes, I was the person closest to the message of Jesus she had ever seen. Thanks to her belief in me, my parents support, and the return of the girl I’ve chased my entire life, and my improving mental health; I went from near last, to near first of my middle school class. It was this year that I had the honor of representing my region at the California State Geography Bee. It was this year that I was awarded as the “Best Young Journalist” at my middle school, for my dedication to writing, storytelling, and learning. It was this year, that I truly found myself. That summer I went on an unforgettable road trip with my mom and sister through some of our nations best territory. I witnessed a suicide attempt, I saw my life flash before my eyes, I saw the best nature, helped a struggling mother (not mine), and had honestly not of the best times of my life. After summer, I get a fresh start with new kids at my high school. I also continue my then 5 years long running career by joining the distance running team. I refuse to talk about my distance running days because you had to be there to enjoy it, but damn, it was a highly enjoyable four years. At my high school, I gain a reputation again as a journalist, writer, and sports enthusiast. I was always popular during the 2016/2018 Olympics :p. Those are also the two Olympics I remember most. From cheering Casey down the course, to screeming at Chris Mazder as he went through turn 9. From watching my Fijians destroy the once mighty English lords, to the peace of two Koreas. From the Favela’s of Rio, to the forests of Jeongsong. I also became a poet, photographer, climber, and skater. For once I was judged not by my misdeeds, but by the strength of mind, and the wit of my mouth. The tiny little caterpillar from 2010, had transformed into a Monarch butterfly (just like the butterflies that migrate through my town yearly). I had overcome much hardship, and become a person I could truly be proud to be. So is the story of my “Lost Generation” and my found beauty.

Alright, now that I’ve got the decade out of way, let’s look at some of highlights from 2019.

Let’s see: I graduated high school. Survived my first semester of college. Began a international sports news website. Became an integral part of a larger community. Saw my first Biathlon race. Had two, not one, two snow days. I put others before myself. I lost a true master of a teacher. I gave the gift of memories. I had a wonderful summer full of amazing multi-sports games. I had my pitfalls. I broke up with a long time friend. I failed to land the girl I chased forever. I stopped running for time in my life that I can remember. I struggled to do my work. I wasn’t always there when people needed me. I wasn’t always truthful. I stuck by my morals. I gave someone inspiration. I reached a cool milestone within my favorite online community. I started a freaking podcast. I lived everyday like I loved living. I lived through 2019.

Well, that’s it. The last post of 2019 and of the 10s decade. Like most of you I too am excited for 2020. I will attend my first Olympic Games in person! However, it also important to remember what matters. Life matters. I’ve spent too much time wasting mine. It’s not worth it, in 2020 we should make it our collective goal to make the most of our lives. It’s okay if you don’t feel this way. If you are in a dark place, or going through the motions of depression, SEEK HELP. My greatest mistake in this decade was not doing that. I got lucky, but I could have saved myself so much pain. 

Here’s to sport, here’s to health, here’s to life, here’s to love, here’s to me, here’s to you, here’s to us, here’s to 2020! :beer:

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela