website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Happy Holidays and Birthdays Thread

leli.

I hope @heywoodu got coal and spite in his boots for making fun of me :p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

22 minutes ago, dcro said:

We put out the boots tonight here too. Although aside from candy, this is also a common gift...

image.png.e69ca577be722e1a432f297c3d9e6d5c.png

That is a very Croatian stick

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

37 minutes ago, dcro said:

We put out the boots tonight here too. Although aside from candy, this is also a common gift...

image.png.e69ca577be722e1a432f297c3d9e6d5c.png

boys here have something similar but it´s for the Easter Monday..and it´s a quite another story :d

Spoiler

polievacka-sibacka.jpg?w=670&h=376&ip=5

polievackanaspisi1.jpg

40 minutes ago, dcro said:

It's actually a whip that is delivered by Krampus himself. So... Happy thoughts. :d

image.thumb.png.9e939b874bf2641208bd5711575cbb72.png

I love wholesome European art. Can Krampus visit @heywoodu with that stick then instead of the coal

4 hours ago, AlFHg said:

Isn’t it tomorrow?

It's mostly celebrated on the evening of 5 December (with those weird Belgians as exception, who celebrate it on the 6th), although for practical reasons some people celebrate it the weekend before if 5 December is on a weekday (for example on Saturday night children generally stay up later than they woudl today, when tomorrow is a school day). We don't really celebrate it anymore, although we got each other a few small gifts and had a nice dinner :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

4 hours ago, wumo26 said:

Looking forward to the yearly protests against "Zwarte Piet"?  :p

Dude, you're a couple of weeks too late :d The fights were in November when Sinterklaas 'arrived' and people used it to protest and ruin children's days, now those people are just ignored :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

4 hours ago, hckosice said:

this is how it looks when the kids get up the 6th december early in the morning to watch if St. Mikuláš came and rewarded them for being good the whole year :d

Not the socks, but the shoes are pretty similar here too, although presents are also often used instead of candy :p (definitely not fruit, come on what's next, broccoli? :lol: )

If you've got a family with some young children, presents often come on the evening of 5 December in a big bag, which is for example brought 'by Sinterklaas' during the night before, or people get creative about it (I remember when I was young apparently my parents put all the presents in a bag, gave the bag to our neighbour and somewhere - purely coincidental - after we had finished dinner and showers and were all ready for the night, the doorbell would ring and there would be nobody...just a bag of presents :yikes: I remember once I got all excited because my dad had opened the door and came back and said he saw 'Zwarte Piet' run away and I was like "wow really?!" :p )