website statistics

Biathlon 2016 - 2017 Discussion Thread

hckošice

9 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Last season there was a young Serbian girl who competed in somewhere between 5-10 competitions and had a shooting hit rate of 12% if I'm not mistaken...she made Slovakia's athletes look like sharp shooters :p 

Ah, found her, young Inesa Zekic: http://biathlon.com.ua/profile.php?lang=eng&id=4774

I remember a Serbian user here on Totallympics saying that it's all a bunch of "who is friends with the boss" in Serbian biathlon..obviously it's hard to judge for me as outsider, but maybe @dareza or @DaniSRB knows more about that :)

Bruna is definitely giving everything she's got for the 2018 Olympics, she's fully focussed on making that instead of the original plan of 2022. The only "negative" thing is that it seems a little more likely that she'll qualify in cross-country, because the qualification for biathlon has been made extremely hard for small nations. The document still says "not applicable" under "Reallocation of unused quota", so if unused quota places aren't reallocated, that would make it incredibly hard. I know biathlon is her big love though and she will try everything she can to qualify for the Olympic biathlon next season..which I think she can do if she keeps focussed :d 

By the way, I'm still hoping Lucas Lima and/or Rhaick Bonfim (you can look them up on the FIS website if you want to see their results) will try biathlon within a couple of years..in recent months they have been growing so much and even though they're only from 2001 and 2002, they are very quickly becoming Brazil's best XC skiers, which is amazing! 

Hahaha. Also I think there was this Bosnian girl who regularly missed 5+5. Snezana Borovcanin I think her name was. I'm rooting for Slovakia as well as the Czechs this year. I kind of wish victory on them :p Maybe they could pull it off in the women's relay with Kuzmina?

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Bruna have to take Brazil to 30th in the nations cup? Because for that she'd have to beat out either Spain, Hungary or Bosnia, all of whom have athletes of a greater class :( But cross-country would be cool, too! Maybe even a team sprint with Mourao :d

Are Lima and Bonfim already on the level of say Bourguinguon or Lutz? I recall they were biathletes last year? 

Thanks for the list by the way. What quotas do you mean? I thought the quota system followed the pattern as seen in these tables:

http://www.neveitalia.it/sport/biathlon/worldcup/news/i-contingenti-femminili-per-la-coppa-del-mondo-2016-17-litalia-sale-a-6-posti

http://www.neveitalia.it/sport/biathlon/worldcup/news/i-contingenti-maschili-per-la-coppa-del-mondo-2016-17-litalia-torna-a-5-posti

(Interesting to note as well that China are making a return to the men's World Cup after awhile! They kind of lost out after Netherlands got a wildcard but never used it because their whole team fled to Sweden :P)

Interesting. Wonder what happened to Camensic and Pinzaru.

Also, yes, Great Britain has two new women! :O

9 hours ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

Hahaha. Also I think there was this Bosnian girl who regularly missed 5+5. Snezana Borovcanin I think her name was. I'm rooting for Slovakia as well as the Czechs this year. I kind of wish victory on them :p Maybe they could pull it off in the women's relay with Kuzmina?

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Bruna have to take Brazil to 30th in the nations cup? Because for that she'd have to beat out either Spain, Hungary or Bosnia, all of whom have athletes of a greater class :( But cross-country would be cool, too! Maybe even a team sprint with Mourao :d

Are Lima and Bonfim already on the level of say Bourguinguon or Lutz? I recall they were biathletes last year? 

Thanks for the list by the way. What quotas do you mean? I thought the quota system followed the pattern as seen in these tables:

http://www.neveitalia.it/sport/biathlon/worldcup/news/i-contingenti-femminili-per-la-coppa-del-mondo-2016-17-litalia-sale-a-6-posti

http://www.neveitalia.it/sport/biathlon/worldcup/news/i-contingenti-maschili-per-la-coppa-del-mondo-2016-17-litalia-torna-a-5-posti

(Interesting to note as well that China are making a return to the men's World Cup after awhile! They kind of lost out after Netherlands got a wildcard but never used it because their whole team fled to Sweden :P)

Interesting. Wonder what happened to Camensic and Pinzaru.

Also, yes, Great Britain has two new women! :O

Aren't those lists of NeveItalia only for this season's World Cup and World Championships? Qualifying a quota place for the women's WCH should be quite easy: all Nations Cup top-3 nations get at least one quota and then there are 10 tickets left for countries outside the top-30, which last year would have meant that almost every nation with an athlete with IBU points (so who competed in WC/IBU Cup/Open European) would qualify at least one quota, with Georgia and Croatia being the only exceptions I think. The bigger thing there is that there are individual eligibility rules. Getting a total of less than 180 points (and so qualifying for the WCH) is arguably Bruna's biggest goal this season:

0a4ae8ce42.png

Which by the way leads to the following situation:

World Championships --> Getting a quota for your nation is easier than being eligible to compete

Olympics --> Being eligible to compete (same as above, part a needs 2 results of 150 or less points) is easier than getting a quota for your nation 

Bourguignon and Lutz have indeed been biathletes for quite a while now (I think together they have combined 15+ biathlon seasons in their pocket), but I'm not sure they'll do it again this year. If they want to have any chance of qualifying for the Olympics, biathlon is simply really not going to work. All due respect, but after years and years they're still all the way in the back of IBU Cups...so cross-country is basically their only chance. Based on the past summer, physical tests and rollerskiing competitions I'd say Lima and Bomfim are at least at the same level, possibly already higher. I'm not sure if they'll be given the chance for 2018 or if the Brazilian federation really wants to focus on Victor Santos, but they might actually be Brazil's top-2 athletes if they keep going like this for another year :)

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

19 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Aren't those lists of NeveItalia only for this season's World Cup and World Championships? Qualifying a quota place for the women's WCH should be quite easy: all Nations Cup top-3 nations get at least one quota and then there are 10 tickets left for countries outside the top-30, which last year would have meant that almost every nation with an athlete with IBU points (so who competed in WC/IBU Cup/Open European) would qualify at least one quota, with Georgia and Croatia being the only exceptions I think. The bigger thing there is that there are individual eligibility rules. Getting a total of less than 180 points (and so qualifying for the WCH) is arguably Bruna's biggest goal this season:

0a4ae8ce42.png

Which by the way leads to the following situation:

World Championships --> Getting a quota for your nation is easier than being eligible to compete

Olympics --> Being eligible to compete (same as above, part a needs 2 results of 150 or less points) is easier than getting a quota for your nation 

Bourguignon and Lutz have indeed been biathletes for quite a while now (I think together they have combined 15+ biathlon seasons in their pocket), but I'm not sure they'll do it again this year. If they want to have any chance of qualifying for the Olympics, biathlon is simply really not going to work. All due respect, but after years and years they're still all the way in the back of IBU Cups...so cross-country is basically their only chance. Based on the past summer, physical tests and rollerskiing competitions I'd say Lima and Bomfim are at least at the same level, possibly already higher. I'm not sure if they'll be given the chance for 2018 or if the Brazilian federation really wants to focus on Victor Santos, but they might actually be Brazil's top-2 athletes if they keep going like this for another year :)

Ah. Okay. I'll be rooting for them, then! I do think if Bruna has improved, she could make it. Wasn't it last year that she got under or around 200 points?

7 minutes ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

Ah. Okay. I'll be rooting for them, then! I do think if Bruna has improved, she could make it. Wasn't it last year that she got under or around 200 points?

Last year her best result came in her last weekend, where she had 244 points at the sprint in Obertilliach (which was the 3rd time any Brazilian ever shot clean by the way) :p 

She has improved incredibly much so I am very confident that, with good shooting, she is capable of systematically going well below 200 points.. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

By the way, www.biathlonresults.com has been all updated and renewed and everything...and now it doesn't work! 

It always worked so easy, but now it's like a huge maze and it doesn't work..

61dc6351e6.jpg

Just now, heywoodu said:

Last year her best result came in her last weekend, where she had 244 points at the sprint in Obertilliach (which was the 3rd time any Brazilian ever shot clean by the way) :p 

She has improved incredibly much so I am very confident that, with good shooting, she is capable of systematically going well below 200 points.. 

That would be quite amazing if she did make it to the WCH. :cheer:

Now to watch the sprint. 

Just now, ahjfcshfghb said:

That would be quite amazing if she did make it to the WCH. :cheer:

Now to watch the sprint. 

Literally "watch" or you mean watching the live timing? Just making sure I'm not missing a live stream :p 

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

By the way, www.biathlonresults.com has been all updated and renewed and everything...and now it doesn't work! 

It always worked so easy, but now it's like a huge maze and it doesn't work..

61dc6351e6.jpg

Hah okay I'll just loosely keep track of the live results. I actually was hopeful for a livestream on YouTube, but all of them were fake. 

What is with this new datacenter? It's great I think except for the live stuff. I just went to 'Start List', hopefully it'll work from there.

1 minute ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

Hah okay I'll just loosely keep track of the live results. I actually was hopeful for a livestream on YouTube, but all of them were fake. 

What is with this new datacenter? It's great I think except for the live stuff. I just went to 'Start List', hopefully it'll work from there.

The thing is, the Datacenter was full of "dead" stuff..like links to statistics that didn't exist, non-existing athlete profiles etc. The live timing was the thing that worked very well....instead of all the "dead info", they changed the live timing and now it doesn't work :lol:

3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Literally "watch" or you mean watching the live timing? Just making sure I'm not missing a live stream :p 

I guess it's pretty simple, now that you think of it. You sort of customize your feed since you can add various things at the same time. I'm going to add 'standings' and 'range' to start with.