website statistics

Biathlon 2016 - 2017 Discussion Thread

hckošice

Darya Domracheva is apparently planning to make her comeback at the World Cup in Oberhof, the first one in January. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

4 hours ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

That is a shame :( The races were very windy, surely it's not the most accurate measure of her strength. I'm sure she'll come back.

yes, in slovak forums started huge discussions about this, many peoples writing that it wasn´t a good decision to send Janka out instead of Terézia Poliaková (she is by far our best shooter, but her run is just atrocious, even if she shoot 10/10 she will fight only for 60th-70th place, because of her slow run :() other peoples saying that it was right, she had the worst rank (as it was said in the rules before the races) and there no place to look at merits or names, she finished the worst ranked so she is out....but yep it´s still a controversy, I mean the races were too windly.  but unfortunately we have only 4 womens quotas for world cup and we can´t send more than 4 girls. however as it was said, Janka will have chance to return, she had to achieve some satisfying results in Ridnaun IBU cup.

btw if you want to know more about the decision and Janka Gereková reaction you can find it in the last parts of this article http://www.biatlon-info.sk/spravodajstvo/svetovy-pohar/278-sumar-oestersundu-uradovali-ti-najlepsi-z-nasich-potesili-fialkova-s-hasillom-vyjadrenia

22 minutes ago, hckosice said:

yes, in slovak forums started huge discussions about this, many peoples writing that it wasn´t a good decision to send Janka out instead of Terézia Poliaková (she is by far our best shooter, but her run is just atrocious, even if she shoot 10/10 she will fight only for 60th-70th place, because of her slow run :() other peoples saying that it was right, she had the worst rank (as it was said in the rules before the races) and there no place to look at merits or names, she finished the worst ranked so she is out....but yep it´s still a controversy, I mean the races were too windly.  but unfortunately we have only 4 womens quotas for world cup and we can´t send more than 4 girls. however as it was said, Janka will have chance to return, she had to achieve some satisfying results in Ridnaun IBU cup.

btw if you want to know more about the decision and Janka Gereková reaction you can find it in the last parts of this article http://www.biatlon-info.sk/spravodajstvo/svetovy-pohar/278-sumar-oestersundu-uradovali-ti-najlepsi-z-nasich-potesili-fialkova-s-hasillom-vyjadrenia

True, it's very telling when Gerekova misses 4 and Poliakova misses 1 and yet they have almost the same time in the sprint. But perhaps it's best for her to go into the IBU Cup to regain her form. We are doing the same with Soukup, he's not had very good results in Ostersund but the coach has said we are counting on him for Nove Mesto, and so they are putting him into the IBU Cup to relieve the pressure.

I do think it will be an interesting IBU Cup.

On a side note I'm kind of rooting for Latvia this year... I think that they can get 25th in the women's Nations Cup with Bendika alone, Romania's women are imploding without Tofalvi even though they have 3 starters. Do you have any other favourites besides CZ/SK?

1 hour ago, hckosice said:

Well to be fair, windy or not, if before the races they clearly say "the worst ranked athlete has to give up her spot to Kuzmina", it would be weird to change that afterwards because of the circumstances..then they should have said (before) "the slowest athlete has to give up her spot".. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Small update from the Brazilian team, who are present in Martell at the IBU Development Camp with 4 athletes (the two known girls, plus Caio Moreira and Lucas Martins). I've only seen the detailed shooting results for Bruna (Moura), but after almost a week she still only missed like 2-3 shots in prone position all week :yikes: Standing is not going that well yet, but it's awesome to see that she is trying to shoot a lot faster than she did last season and still hits almost every prone shot...I can't wait for the IBU Cups in January :bounce:

2 hours ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

True, it's very telling when Gerekova misses 4 and Poliakova misses 1 and yet they have almost the same time in the sprint. But perhaps it's best for her to go into the IBU Cup to regain her form. We are doing the same with Soukup, he's not had very good results in Ostersund but the coach has said we are counting on him for Nove Mesto, and so they are putting him into the IBU Cup to relieve the pressure.

I do think it will be an interesting IBU Cup.

On a side note I'm kind of rooting for Latvia this year... I think that they can get 25th in the women's Nations Cup with Bendika alone, Romania's women are imploding without Tofalvi even though they have 3 starters. Do you have any other favourites besides CZ/SK?

I was always a fan of the french womens team, since Marie Dorin surprising bronze in Vancouver 2010 sprint, I can not forget her cute joy after the race :wub::cheer: and also as each olympic fan I´m rooting for small and exotic nations participating in sports, so I always cheer for all athletes from non-winter sport powerhouses during the winter season :d

58 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Well to be fair, windy or not, if before the races they clearly say "the worst ranked athlete has to give up her spot to Kuzmina", it would be weird to change that afterwards because of the circumstances..then they should have said (before) "the slowest athlete has to give up her spot".. 

fair enough :)